Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 new USB C center console data hub from model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I`m going to test drive a model Y tomorrow. Will take some measurements from the front USB ports.

Not sure if the front hub can deliver more. But I finally got a tester and determined the wireless hub input is 9v. With one phone it draws 1.1-1.3A and with two phones it draws 2-2.4A.

Power Source: 12V socket adapter that has USB-C PD (5V 3A,9v 3/A,12V 2.5A)
Devices: 2x Samsung S9.

My goal is just to make this wireless charger work without making too many adjustments to the car. The newer Hub would be ideal, but it's a bit pricey at $80. What are your thoughts on a DC-DC buck converter tapping into a 12v line and stepping it down to 9v@3a (LM2596)?

Attachments

• photo_2020-07-04_20-52-532.jpg
    photo_2020-07-04_20-52-532.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 169
Not sure if the front hub can deliver more. But I finally got a tester and determined the wireless hub input is 9v. With one phone it draws 1.1-1.3A and with two phones it draws 2-2.4A.

My goal is just to make this wireless charger work without making too many adjustments to the car. The newer Hub would be ideal, but it's a bit pricey at $80. What are your thoughts on a DC-DC buck converter tapping into a 12v line and stepping it down to 9v@3a (LM2596)?
Dude $80 for the USB c hub is not pricey at all.

Anywyasb, update is that my hub order has arrived at my service center. Still waiting on the 3 other parts (inductive wireless pad, lip, rear USB c vent). Will update.
I can technically just pick up the front USB c hub and do a install video/forum tutorial.... But I need to find some time to actually pick it up and do it.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Dude $80 for the USB c hub is not pricey at all.

Anywyasb, update is that my hub order has arrived at my service center. Still waiting on the 3 other parts (inductive wireless pad, lip, rear USB c vent). Will update.
I can technically just pick up the front USB c hub and do a install video/forum tutorial.... But I need to find some time to actually pick it up and do it.

I might pony up and get it as I'm making this too complicated. But at 80 bucks I don't want to risk having compatibility issues with HW 2.5 and hardware ID on the hub. Since this hub is designed to work with newer 3/Y which would have HW 3.0. Do you have 2.5 or 3.0?

I might pony up and get it as I'm making this too complicated. But at 80 bucks I don't want to risk having compatibility issues with HW 2.5 and hardware ID on the hub. Since this hub is designed to work with newer 3/Y which would have HW 3.0. Do you have 2.5 or 3.0?
I think it's interchangable. I have hw3. Car built in Nov 2019

Physical connections I would say it's safe to do based on your research. But the SW side is where I'm concerned with 2.5 given that it has both Data and Power. Since you have 3.0, it should be good, keep us posted.

The USB doesn't talk to the AP2.5/3 computer, it talks to the MCU. And I don't think the MCU side is any different between the two AP hardware configurations.

Reactions: APotatoGod
The USB doesn't talk to the AP2.5/3 computer, it talks to the MCU. And I don't think the MCU side is any different between the two AP hardware configurations.

That's right. But I'm making the assumption that the upper MCU board had modifications along with AP3.0. While it's anecdotal evidence, some people say MCU is faster after coming from 2.5 to 3.0. Also, green mentioned with the infotainment link was changed from 100mbps to 1gbps.

Since the new wireless charger is USB-C it has CC1 CC2 communication lines. I believe wireless charger has to receive data from the in-car UBS-C port about available charging voltages/current then send a correct voltage request to the car. My guess is if you feed 9V direct to the charger it may not start at all. Type-C requires bidirectional data communication between device and charger for handshaking. I did some measurements on Model Y today and will report about it later.

also, a very good video about charging protocols:
from 8:51 he talks about USB-C charging and data communication.

Reactions: phtp and lUtriaNt
what did you do to order? did you call the order in? go to the shop? do it through the app?
Only way I was successful was to show up to the service center, scan a QR code for a URL to fill out a form telling them I'm there and my name/number. Then I go back to my car and wait for the call.

They did ask if I were a body shop or customer. I said customer. Only needed 4 parts. He wrote them down and submitted it to the parts department. Now I get a generic biweekly email about my parts. The emails from a no-reply email address

Dublin ordered the parts for me. 2 of them arrived. 2 of them are on backorder. Maybe I should go pick up the parts that did arrive..... I could get the front upgrade done, except for the dock bar.

Parts Received
  1. MY USB HUB FRONT
    Part #: 1522264-00-B
    Delivered: July 1, 2020
  2. INDUCTIVE PHONE CHARGER, CONSOLE, M3 MY
    Part #: 1541234-00-B
    Delivered: July 1, 2020

Parts Outstanding
  1. M3 MY, CONSOLE WIRELESS PHONE DOCK BAR
    Part #: 1547380-00-A
    Order Date: June 26, 2020
    Ship Date: Pending
  2. M3, CONSOLE, REAR AIR VENT PAN ASY, PREM
    Part #: 1111072-00-E
    Order Date: June 26, 2020
    Ship Date: Pending

Reactions: Durzel and lUtriaNt
Since the new wireless charger is USB-C it has CC1 CC2 communication lines. I believe wireless charger has to receive data from the in-car UBS-C port about available charging voltages/current then send a correct voltage request to the car. My guess is if you feed 9V direct to the charger it may not start at all. Type-C requires bidirectional data communication between device and charger for handshaking. I did some measurements on Model Y today and will report about it later.

also, a very good video about charging protocols:
from 8:51 he talks about USB-C charging and data communication.
Only way to check is wire the model Y wireless charging pad to a USB C PD 12v charger from the center console. Check the numbers there? I believe any PD enabled USB c charger has that handshaking tech in it. As for wireless charging, we are only looking at max 10W right? Maybe even only 7.5W for iPhones.

Only way to check is wire the model Y wireless charging pad to a USB C PD 12v charger from the center console. Check the numbers there? I believe any PD enabled USB c charger has that handshaking tech in it. As for wireless charging, we are only looking at max 10W right? Maybe even only 7.5W for iPhones.
obviously the hub and charger dose support the handshaking. Both are USB-C PD compatible devices. I was referring to the "What are your thoughts on a DC-DC buck converter tapping into a 12v line and stepping it down to 9v@3a (LM2596)?" questions.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Based on my measurements Model Y front USB-C supports the 5V 3A and 9V 3A options. My guess is its the same USB-C controller as rear went. The USB-A port was similar to previous gen 2.5-2.6A with better voltage regulations. The voltage was controlled and stayed 5.1-5.2V under the full load. I believe the previous gen front hub was letting voltage to sink up to 4.9V which is still within the USB spec. The wireless charger is powered by 9V. Single iPhone was pulling about 0.8A, two phones about 1.8Amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.