Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50K for a new M3P, 50k for a '21.5 MS w/ Arachnid wheels 33k miles, or 34k for a '22 M3P no options 21k miles. Don't really need the versatility of the S but definitely prefer the looks to either M3P. Not sold on the new M3P front headlights, hoping they'll grow on me.

Which would you do? Thinking about replacing the wife's 10 year old Mustang and she may take the Y, so this would probably be my car.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
50K for a new M3P, 50k for a '21.5 MS w/ Arachnid wheels 33k miles, or 34k for a '22 M3P no options 21k miles. Don't really need the versatility of the S but definitely prefer the looks to either M3P. Not sold on the new M3P front headlights, hoping they'll grow on me.

Which would you do? Thinking about replacing the wife's 10 year old Mustang and she may take the Y, so this would probably be my car.
That's a tough one. Have you driven the MSLR? Driving dynamics wise, it can feel like a boat compared to the more nimble feeling you get driving the M3P. Financially, you should go with the cheapest one. Vanity-wise and finances aside, go with the S. For the best of both when it comes to creature comforts and driving dynamics, get the new M3P, because it's a miniaturized MS now, minus the adaptive air suspension.

That's a tough one. Have you driven the MSLR? Driving dynamics wise, it can feel like a boat compared to the more nimble feeling you get driving the M3P. Financially, you should go with the cheapest one. Vanity-wise and finances aside, go with the S. For the best of both when it comes to creature comforts and driving dynamics, get the new M3P, because it's a miniaturized MS now, minus the adaptive air suspension.

Model S isn't as nimble or fun for sure. I really like how relatively light the M3P feels. If I were to go Model S...I'd have to splurge for the Plaid as that at least has a unique parlor trick of going to warp speed.

Also, the Model S doesn't have much more passenger space than a Model 3. I'd definitely be more inclined to get a Model S if it had better back seat room (like a Model Y). I think on a long road trip, both cars would feel about the same to the rear seat occupants.

So what kind of boat is the Y? lol
1715281903802.png

• Funny
Reactions: P-Lo801
Model S isn't as nimble or fun for sure. I really like how relatively light the M3P feels. If I were to go Model S...I'd have to splurge for the Plaid as that at least has a unique parlor trick of going to warp speed.

Also, the Model S doesn't have much more passenger space than a Model 3. I'd definitely be more inclined to get a Model S if it had better back seat room (like a Model Y). I think on a long road trip, both cars would feel about the same to the rear seat occupants.

MS is a large boat, M3 is small boat. Plan accordingly.

Brand new M3P every day for me over a used, old MS. MS is starting to look dated also, needs a refresh soon.
Even with the refresh the "dated" MS is a much better looking car IMO. I also wouldn't consider a 2.5 year old car, "old".

Someone made an interesting point, about if I have a Y, I should get the S. That does concern me that they are too alike, not sure if anyone agrees with that sentiment. We used to have two of the same car years ago and it was not an ideal set up, variety is nice.

We rented a pretty new Model S while on vacation and were SUPER disappointed with it. Handles like a boat. Parks like a boat. Creaked and rattled like an old boat. Air ride in comfort seemed less cush than our Highland test drive. Still loud at speed and the sound system seemed no better than our Model Y. Cramped passenger space considering the size of the vehicle. Didn't feel as fast as it apparently was. Seats not as comfortable as new Highland and overall interior just seemed kinda crap. Turn signal buttons missed like 30% of my presses. Only benefits I saw were having driver display and Model Y trunk space with lower driving position.

We rented a pretty new Model S while on vacation and were SUPER disappointed with it. Handles like a boat. Parks like a boat. Creaked and rattled like an old boat. Air ride in comfort seemed less cush than our Highland test drive. Still loud at speed and the sound system seemed no better than our Model Y. Cramped passenger space considering the size of the vehicle. Didn't feel as fast as it apparently was. Seats not as comfortable as new Highland and overall interior just seemed kinda crap. Turn signal buttons missed like 30% of my presses. Only benefits I saw were having driver display and Model Y trunk space with lower driving position.
Interesting because mine is nothing like that. It sounds like someone took *sugar* care of it

Reactions: terranx
Boat boat boat. I’ve started something here folks 🛳️🛳️🛳️

I have yet to drive the new M3P or a Model S. I did have a '22 X loaner and I didn't experience any of that. Was that a pre-refresh model?

I have yet to drive the new M3P or a Model S. I did have a '22 X loaner and I didn't experience any of that. Was that a pre-refresh model?
It was a 22. It had some miles on it, but seemed relatively well taken care of. I liked the tilting screen as well but we were just shocked how firm and busy the ride still was (on the base wheels) and how much road noise still got in. I also like Model X and think that vehicle feels newer, more spacious, and more expensive / luxe but would never buy one as I find all the powered and articulating doors to be ridiculous and a reliability disaster.

Tesla badly needs a bread and butter EV9 / R1S fighter that is just a Model Y with a bigger third row and a suspension designed to deliver you to your destination without a TBI.

It was a 22. It had some miles on it, but seemed relatively well taken care of. I liked the tilting screen as well but we were just shocked how firm and busy the ride still was (on the base wheels) and how much road noise still got in. I also like Model X and think that vehicle feels newer, more spacious, and more expensive / luxe but would never buy one as I find all the powered and articulating doors to be ridiculous and a reliability disaster.

Tesla badly needs a bread and butter EV9 / R1S fighter that is just a Model Y with a bigger third row and a suspension designed to deliver you to your destination without a TBI.
The MX is a direct competitor to the R1S in terms of cost, leg room, head room, etc. I know you want to avoid the doors, but it's the main benefit for many.

What suspension setting did you have it in? My Plaid is leagues quieter in terms of wind and road noise compared to the 3, and the ride(in the correct setting) is outstanding.