Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.05 in the 60' is worth about one tenth. I swapped to lightweight 18's on mine and the difference in 1/4 mile times was less than a tenth. heating the battery makes the biggest difference. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the new one does. If it's a full half second quicker and runs 10.80-10.90, we're talking a 4-5% increase in acceleration, which I find to be extremely underwhelming.
If you find a 10 second car to be underwhelming, then obviously you need a 9 second car. Luckily for you, Tesla makes one, and it is also quite reasonably priced for its level of performance. For those of us who don't need a 10 second car, the new Model 3 Performance should have more than enough power. The main complaints I, and many other people, had about the old M3P, were the mediocre suspension, seats with inadequate support, and too much of a falloff in acceleration above 60. Tesla has significantly improved all of those issues.

Regarding the grip in the Model S Plaid versus the old M3P, I totally agree with you. It sounds like that situation will likely be reversed with the new M3P.

Rims only or “wheels” aka rims with tires on them? 4 “wheels” do not fit across the back seat. 4 rims (no tires) is probably doable. 19” for reference
You're not correct. I fit 4x 10.5" wide wheels with 295/35r18 tires on them in back seat every other weekend. The current and highland OEMs will fit fine although they might try to curb rash each other if you don't protect them adequately with the stretched tires Tesla installs.

I’d like to see an all-season option offered as well. It’s below freezing 3+ months of the year in many places this car could be sold. I often hear people say all-seasons are “poor in every condition,” but I disagree because they are the best for range. The customers who care about performance will swap to 18” or 19” wheels and mount 200 tread wear or lower tires for track use anyway.

Reactions: Lindenwood
The main complaints I, and many other people, had about the old M3P, were the mediocre suspension, seats with inadequate support, and too much of a falloff in acceleration above 60. Tesla has significantly improved all of those issues.
Please add "500 mile range" pack and then I'm happy. ;)

I spend at least half of my track days charging and travelling to/from the supercharger.

If you find a 10 second car to be underwhelming, then obviously you need a 9 second car. Luckily for you, Tesla makes one, and it is also quite reasonably priced for its level of performance. For those of us who don't need a 10 second car, the new Model 3 Performance should have more than enough power. The main complaints I, and many other people, had about the old M3P, were the mediocre suspension, seats with inadequate support, and too much of a falloff in acceleration above 60. Tesla has significantly improved all of those issues.

Regarding the grip in the Model S Plaid versus the old M3P, I totally agree with you. It sounds like that situation will likely be reversed with the new M3P.
"HAVE IMPROVED"? "REVERSED"? That's just your daydreaming kicking in hard, because all we know is what Tesla oficially stated, absolutely 0 real world testing as of now.

"HAVE IMPROVED"? "REVERSED"? That's just your daydreaming kicking in hard, because all we know is what Tesla oficially stated, absolutely 0 real world testing as of now.
I am trusting people who have driven the car, you know, real world testing, like Jason Cammisa, to be reporting accurately. I've generally found him to be trustworthy, even when I don't agree with him. Also, we know the seats have substantially more side bolstering; the pictures are enough to make that clear, and as for the suspension, unless Tesla totally screwed it up, the Highland mods plus the adjustable shocks should make a pretty dramatic improvement.

I am trusting people who have driven the car, you know, real world testing, like Jason Cammisa, to be reporting accurately. I've generally found him to be trustworthy, even when I don't agree with him. Also, we know the seats have substantially more side bolstering; the pictures are enough to make that clear, and as for the suspension, unless Tesla totally screwed it up, the Highland mods plus the adjustable shocks should make a pretty dramatic improvement.
Yeah well until some people here actually test it out, let's be EXTREMELY reserved in the hope department, because this forum went into full panic attack for months about the "600+" new M3P and... PUF went the hope baloon

Reactions: MrSlowEv
Yeah well until some people here actually test it out, let's be EXTREMELY reserved in the hope department, because this forum went into full panic attack for months about the "600+" new M3P and... PUF went the hope baloon
Well, unless you know them personally, how could you possibly trust anyone around here? After all, they're just random people with a handle, and you know next to nothing about the vast majority of them. We know far more about most of the YouTubers who have reviewed the M3P.

There was certainly a lot of wild speculation around here before the new M3P's introduction, but why not? It should just be for fun. If anyone took those speculations seriously, that's on them.

The current Model 3 Performance has 585 HP at the battery. The Kia EV6 GT reports 585 HP through Canbus when fully optimized and that matches up with what Kia claims for the car. The current Model 3 Performance in the US reports right at 585 HP just like the Kia EV6 does.

These HP numbers are so absolutely meaningless when the car only hits that HP for a fraction of a second because it can’t shift gears to get back into the powerband like an ICE car does.

At least the new car should be able to hold max HP for a couple if not a few seconds. That alone will make a significant difference.

Reactions: Street_Tuna