Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get the Plaid and swap the factory wheel for a Hansshow wheel. The yoke is a worthless piece of *sugar*.
There’s still the issue of steering wheel vibrations in the plaid on many vehicles!
That is one thing I could absolutely never live with..

Yeah, I call B.S. on that. It's clearly at least strongly inspired by the exact Ludicrous visual from the movie.

Also the red underline is already established as the performance indicator for M3P.

Well now we have another precedent. Call it the poor man’s plaid badge if you want lol. Looks fine to me.

So the next thing to agonize over. May-June delivery means last week of June right? Time to head to the delivery thread.

Reactions: arkhos
Waiting for a head to head 23’ M3P vs 24’.
Waiting for a head to head LG vs Pano battery real world specs (510 vs 460hp). From Canada (the 51st bastard child state) so the 460hp LG is turning me off totally.

Then I’ll consider pushing the buy button or not. Paying more for less is common up here but getting LG rather than Pano when we are literally neighbours is a slap.

There’s still the issue of steering wheel vibrations in the plaid on many vehicles!
That is one thing I could absolutely never live with..
That was fixed with a SW update, and my car is smooth as silk. Compared to my M3P, the Plaid rides like a Rolls Royce.

I'm on the latest software and still have the 40mph first start vibration
Cold start vibration is annoying, but at least goes away quickly. If that's the trade off for having the carbon rotors that allow all the other fun stuff, I'm okay with it -- though it would be nice if Tesla actually outright stated so.

There used to be a persistent vibration that is more or less gone now.

Reactions: Daniel L
In terms of Stability Assist, -10 was never fully off and we never really knew how 0 to +10 related to how the car behaved compared to with track mode off. Setting that slider was more or less guesswork based on how confident a driver you are. I doubt most drivers would be able to tell the difference between -8 and -5, or +2 and +8. I run it at -10 on track but would still like to dial it down more in some situations.

I would suggest they've improved the software so at the reduced and minimal settings it's less intrusive but still gives a safety net for those who push it too far and 'off' is probably still the same as -10 or maybe a bit less, because for the vast majority of owners, they won't be able to deal with it completely off.
Nobody knows for sure until we can get one on track and give it a proper thrashing.
I have seen that in low grip situations, stability at -9 is actually better as it keeps the car inside it's happy place and never fully cuts power. -10 can let it get outside tesla's parameters and do weird things. Any feedback on this?

I have seen that in low grip situations, stability at -9 is actually better as it keeps the car inside it's happy place and never fully cuts power. -10 can let it get outside tesla's parameters and do weird things. Any feedback on this?
Can't say I've ever compared SA at -10 with -9, but at -10 on a dry track in some corners, such as off-camber, I can feel and hear the torque vectoring working away when actually I'd be happier to modulate the throttle. That's with the balance slider in the 50:50-30:70 range, which is the where I'd usually run it.
On a cold, wet track, I may have dialled SA back a bit to -6 or -7 maybe, but with that setting I've never thought that a change of + or - 1 is going to make enough difference to bother with.

Hello,
I am excited to lease my first EV and I do like the refreshed Model 3 Performance. Is it me or the lease payments are extremely competitive to other cars in the $50K-60K range? I was looking at TLX-Type S and BMW M440i, both close to $60K and the lease were almost $300 more a month. That's with putting down $1,500 and paying for taxes upfront (in MD we have to pay tax on entire purchase). Unless I am missing something here?

Hello,
I am excited to lease my first EV and I do like the refreshed Model 3 Performance. Is it me or the lease payments are extremely competitive to other cars in the $50K-60K range? I was looking at TLX-Type S and BMW M440i, both close to $60K and the lease were almost $300 more a month. That's with putting down $1,500 and paying for taxes upfront (in MD we have to pay tax on entire purchase). Unless I am missing something here?
I don't have any experience leasing cars, but i believe this may be due to the fact that tesla does not allow the purchase of the vehicles at the end of the lease term; this and there's tax credit loopholes being built into their lease prices.

Hello,
EVs have cheaper leases compared to ICE cars because of the EV rebates and additional incentives. i4 leases are cheaper than 4 series leases for instance. Acura leases just suck in general, they don't really care about selling cars i'm convinced lol.

Wasnt the MIC LG M3P faster than US Pana from 0-30 mph or so? Because Tesla upped the torque down low to provide same 0-60 as the Panasonic M3P, despite less HP and being slower from there. I guess it could be the same for Highland Performance, but I could be wrong with all of this..

Reactions: Destiny1701
Would I be able to pull the 57DRs (19x9.5 +35 5x114.3) off my 23 M3P and stick them on the 24 M3P or TBD on that? 🤔
Thanks!
From all that I've gathered so far, the brakes, hubs, and suspension components are carried over, so I'd say yes.
Of course, we will verify once we have the actual car. 19" square setups will be popular for this car now that it comes with staggered 20" wheels & tires from factory.

-Danny

From all that I've gathered so far, the brakes, hubs, and suspension components are carried over, so I'd say yes.
Of course, we will verify once we have the actual car. 19" square setups will be popular for this car now that it comes with staggered 20" wheels & tires from factory.

-Danny
I currently have the 245/40/19s forgestars from your site. I wonder if those will swap over.

• Love
Reactions: MODEL+
That’s a bit hyperbolic.

As long as there’s no snow on the ground and the temperature is above freezing you’d be fine.
It wasn’t above freezing and frequently isn’t in the northeast. And those summer rated tires have very clear warnings about low temps. The point isn’t really about the drive home; it’s about selling the car in mid winter with no tire alternative. I’ll be if offered an AST, 75 percent or more would prefer them to summer rubber. I’d take the AST.

Last edited:
Upon further review, I may just get some 18” T Sportline or Model+ wheels. They say they fit all Model 3 variants including performance trims. I didn’t think aftermarket 18” rims (w/o spacers) were possible with such big brake calipers on the performance?

@MODEL+
The 18" wheels should be an option for the Performance. Active suspension should be an option on the Long Range.

After adding the 18" wheels the cost, post tax credit is very close to the Long Range, but you got active suspension. The only downside is reduced range which in the real world may not mean much.