Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 100 kWh battery and Ludicrous Mode [speculation about future developments]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Durango Colorado?

That's only 215 total miles.

And even if you DID need to charge, there's one in Farmington NM that's like 10 minutes west of the normal route.

So yes that route is totally possible with 10 extra minutes at a supercharger.
This one fails the "10 minute stop" by your own logic:
10 minute out of the way + 10 minute charge + 10 minuets back to route = 30 minutes

But this is all a pissing match at this point anyways.

10 minute out of the way + 10 minute charge + 10 minuets back to route = 30 minutes

Actually, it's 222 miles and the Farmington SC is 25 min out of the way, each way (so +1 hr with a charge). And no, you can't make it without the sidetrip in winter or with a headwind (keep in mind elevation gain of 2500').

Actually, it's 222 miles

No, it's not.

At least not city center to city center.

215 per abetterrouteplanner.

Which any current LR Tesla should be able to do even in winter.

and the Farmington SC is 25 min out of the way, each way

Also no.

ABRP says 3:24 total drive time no stops.

If I force it to stop at Farmington instead driving duration jumps to...3:49

25 total extra minutes, not 25 each way.

(I forced it by insisting I arrive in Durango with 30% charge- so it has me stop for 6 minutes to charge but that's not counted in the drive time)

Again this is city center to city center since I wasn't given specific addresses- but that wouldn't change the time of the SC detour if you insist on taking one, which is half of what you just claimed.

Follow up- I checked ABQ typical daytime temps in the winter... it's 49 december and january... 42 and 39 for Durango.

I put 40 into ABRP to be extra generous

It still says I can make the trip without stopping and arrive with 15% battery (LR RWD in this model- swapping to LR AWD I arrive with 10% battery in 40 degree weather with no stop)

No, it's not.

At least not city center to city center.

215 per abetterrouteplanner.

Which any current LR Tesla should be able to do even in winter.

Also no.

ABRP says 3:24 total drive time no stops.

If I force it to stop at Farmington instead driving duration jumps to...3:49

25 total extra minutes, not 25 each way.

(I forced it by insisting I arrive in Durango with 30% charge- so it has me stop for 6 minutes to charge but that's not counted in the drive time)

Again this is city center to city center since I wasn't given specific addresses- but that wouldn't change the time of the SC detour if you insist on taking one, which is half of what you just claimed.

Look, I never asked you to do a deep dive on locations, I just shared my experience. Durango doesn't have a SC, so I have to make it home. I've done the Abq -> Dgo drive dozens of times in winter and summer (kid played soccer in Abq). In winter, I typically have 5% left at the point where I have to decide to detour, with 57.2 miles and 1000' elevation to go. The detour to Farmington adds about 1hr to the trip. Google says +31 min for the detour with no traffic. Add charging time and slow vehicles to that, and you are right at an extra hour. Just because you think a LR Tesla "should" be able to make that in winter doesn't make it so. My LR 3 AWD cannot. There are reasons - altitude gain, cold temps, and almost always a strong headwind. On top of the detour, you have to max charge in Abq, which adds 30-45min to the charge cycle. So total trip is +1.5 to 1:45 longer than driving a gasser.

You've asserted that no one needs extra range because at most you have to detour 10 min. For me, and likely others that live in rural areas, that's not the case. If Tesla offered a higher range, I'd pay it to save the extra time spent max charging and detouring. Personally, I wish there were more SCs so that you could charge to 80% and be on your way. Maybe someday.

Lol there is no arguing with him. He lives in some delusional world where there are no real world time and cost consequences to having more range than 50 miles :rolleyes:

Good thing tesla gets it, and hopefully well have 400+ mile cars in a year or two.

Look, I never asked you to do a deep dive on locations, I just shared my experience.

Ok- and I pointed out what is considered the gold standard for route planning in a Tesla disagrees with that experience, including the distances you claimed, the # of chargers along the routes, and more.

Lo
You've asserted that no one needs extra range because at most you have to detour 10 min.

Well, no, I didn't say that.

Here's what I actually said

My original statement you are misrepresenting said:
The only time "real life" range over 50-100 miles matters for most people is road trips.
....and for road trips the only difference between an EPA rated 300 miles on a Tesla and an EPA rated 400 miles is... maybe 10 extra minutes at a supercharger.

THAT is what I said.

And it's true, because adding 100 miles of range only takes 10 extra minutes at a supercharger. (possibly slightly more or less depending on model, battery temp, and V2 vs V3, but it's a pretty decent average)

So for most people, most of the time, more than 50-100 miles of range matters not at all- because on average people rarely do more than that in a day anyway.

And for the occasional road trip where they do, 10 minutes supercharging a 300 mile range car gets you about the same distance down the road as 0 minutes charging a 400 mile range car does.

Yes as I said originally (about the travelling salesmen who isn't aware the internet exists yet) I'm sure you can find weird rare edge cases where somehow this makes some HUGE practical difference.

But it's just that, a rare edge case.

Tesla, at max production, can't even replace one percent of new car sales this year.

The other 99+ percent will be buying a non-Tesla even if they want one. Even if range was infinite there's just not enough cars made to sell to those folks.

So for those weird edge case folks where existing range doesn't work, that's not really costing Tesla sales, and there's plenty of options out there for those folks.

Lol there is no arguing with him. He lives in some delusional world where there are no real world time and cost consequences to having more range than 50 miles :rolleyes:

Again, literally not what I said- in fact I pointed out an EV for most folks saves time vs a gas car because you're not wasting 10 minutes a week the 50 weeks a year you're NOT on a road trip stopping for gas- you're just plugging in when you get home.

• Love
Reactions: johnmodely
Unless there is a major breakthrough in battery tech (unlikely) why would you want a bigger battery in performance M3 (or any, for that matter)?

Bigger battery = more weight = lower performance.
To survive a track day without supercharging at lunch (and losing 1-2 sessions). Believe it or not, range is the first feature on the Roadster that makes it better for track for me.

Range in a current BEV means less time charging - this is not news and it may not be real-world relevant but too many people I know who resist an EV do so because "I can fill the tank in 2 mins and continue my trip" vs any kind of current charging speed currently available.

The average american drives between 10 and 30 miles a day (depending you prefer mean or median to define the average)

They're gonna need 400 miles rather than 300 (or hell 200) basically never. It'll save them 10 minutes on a 1-2 times a year road trip is about all that's gonna do for most people.

I don't disagree in the real world but I also constantly hear the (to me bizarre) argument of why someone got a big truck or SUV - I need to haul stuff (once every year ) so I need the big whatever-thing they got. Me, I say get the reasonable vehicle for day to day and rent something when you need it - I get looked at like I have 3 heads.

Perception of range vs charging speed vs convenience still rules too many people's thinking. The new S coming out with close to 400 probably means 300 or so real world with high road speed, AC/heat, etc and that means a lot. If charging to 80% regardless of current SOC could be a real 15mins or less, then the arguments really do start to fall away.

We often do longer trips so not 'basically never' and we're not that odd! :)

I don't disagree in the real world but I also constantly hear the (to me bizarre) argument of why someone got a big truck or SUV - I need to haul stuff (once every year ) so I need the big whatever-thing they got. Me, I say get the reasonable vehicle for day to day and rent something when you need it - I get looked at like I have 3 heads.

Same.

When we lived in the burbs we had a sport sedan and a sport coupe and once every year or two rented a truck from Home Depot or something if needed.

Now that we live in the "country" we've got the Tesla and an older Acura MDX (that honestly doesn't get much worse mileage than the coupe did) for the "dirty" work and moving larger things that happens more often.

We often do longer trips so not 'basically never' and we're not that odd! :)

Personally if I'm travelling to a destination much more than ~500 miles away I'm usually flying there anyway (and renting when I arrive if needed) so there'd virtually never be much more than a 10 minute difference between a 300 and 400 mile "real life" range Tesla

And while I get some folks do much longer trips in a car, I don't believe a lot of em do much longer trips in a single day in a car- so long as your hotel has an L2, and lots do now, you're still in the same position.

And while I get some folks do much longer trips in a car, I don't believe a lot of em do much longer trips in a single day in a car- so long as your hotel has an L2, and lots do now, you're still in the same position.

One of my biggest gripes with Tesla nav is it assumes my destination has decent charge infrastructure - too often that is false which is a bummer.

For sure there are ranges of drivers - my longest stint was 23 hours straight, fuel stops only. Not recommended. But 500 miles doesn't scare me.

Also, dogs - flying is not often the right answer for us. Plus, unless it's a serious long flight, I'm told driving my EV is still environmentally less impactful. Guess I'd like to believe that. Oh, and I like driving my 3

Can we get back to the main argument? lol

When do we think we might get some update on if a 100kwh battery is coming?

My Mini Cooper lease is up in two months and if there's a Model 3 that can get me ludicrous mode, bigger battery or not, I'm in.

If one is "coming"?

April- battery day.

But even if they magically have a way to fit a 25% denser battery into a 3, it'll almost certainly take quite a long time to get there.

It'll instead go into the plaid S/X/Roadster2 first since they've a lot more need for more battery than a car that's already not only a class leader in range but selling faster than they can build them.

After they've built up enough MFG capacity to fill all THOSE orders maybe it'll make its way into the 3/Y...if they don't also need it for the Cybertruck and Semi by then...

Did a little better than usual today at 400wh/mi (250wh/km) in misty conditions. Average speeds 87mph/140kph.

Gosh dang, I wish I got to go 140km/h while getting 400Wh/mi. More like 60km/h. Snow and cold sucks.

Not sure if it's been mentioned along this thread, but a larger pack would help charge times. It's easy to say adding 100 miles takes 10 minutes, but that has a lot of asterisks. Charging slows as you fill up - if your pack is larger, you can add more miles faster at any given percentage, which is fantastically helpful in the cold where distances between chargers can be a problem already. We just did a 4 day trip back home, and the amount of necessary charging to 90-100% required really ate up a ton of time. (Denver CO to Vernon BC for anyone interested)

Reactions: ElectricIAC