Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile App Android v3.10.8-421 broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find any general mobile app threads. This is for all vehicle models but the forum required me to select a model, so I arbitrarily put it under Model 3.

Yesterday I updated my phone with this version. It required me to log in again (which is fine). I could enter my email, but the field for the password would not bring up a virtual keyboard. I restarted phone, no difference. i deleted settings and data for the app, no difference. I uninstalled the app and re-installed it, no difference. I connected a hardware keyboard, no difference. If I could not log in, of course I could not control my cars nor receive alarms should they trigger. Quite upsetting.

I searched online and found the Tesla-3.10.7-409.apk install package for the previous version. It's a little scary using these because Google Play is not checking validity, but what choice did I have? Installed it (it's what I had before this upgrade anyway) and everything is back to working perfectly.

Searching in these forums and elsewhere, I didn't find anyone else reporting this problem. Can't explain why. My Android version is 5.0.1. But if there were some incompatibility, supposedly Google Play would not install it on my Galaxy S4 phone.

I'm already at the point with my older Model S that I'm afraid to install vehicle software updates because I don't know what they might break. Now the same problem with the phone app! At least I can go backwards with that, though.