Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same charging problem message with 5.11 after I got my car back from annual inspection and I plugged it in. I never got this message with older versions. I called the service center about this and was told that since I reduce my amps at home to always be set at 30 Amps when there was some sort of fluctuation in the grid/house the car attempted to try and lower to 30 amps and it was already there. I recommended they display a better non-generic error message in this scenario.

I also had a Loaner that had a similar message when I was supercharging at Bethesda. An error message appeared but it was still charging. I removed and reinserted the charge cable and the error message never came back. I need to remember to take pictures when this happens. I don't know what version the loaner was on.

View attachment 52481
then, within a minute or so, there was a faint click down (felt like second row area, but not sure) and the screen started to switch between
View attachment 52482
and
View attachment 52483

Interesting, I just had this problem a couple weeks ago at a Supercharger, actually as I was on my in for service. I unplugged and re-plugged, and noticed that the SpC unit (Buckeye AZ 3B) was cutting out, restarting and limiting current. I switched to a different # and all was fine, but the error message persisted all the way so I showed it to the guys. They found nothing wrong with the dar, reset the message, said they would report the supercharger and that was that. On teh way out I tried 3B again, and got limited charge but no error message. One week later I tried 3A and also got limited amperage, and the supercharger cutting out and restarting. So Buckeye #3 has been Fritzy; but I only got this error message the one time.

Conclusions? Uhm... well it wasn't my car.

I see this error message on hot days (Texas, 90°+) when the sun is beating onto my garage doors and onto the wall housing the power outlet. So for summer I schedule charging to start in the wee hours at reduced amperage; the error no longer appears.

Update: the charger was replaced by the Service Center. Interestingly, SC said that "master charger" was replaced, but I only have single charger onboard. I guess that means the first charger is always called "master" regardless of the presence of "slave". Found it interesting, brings back the parallel IDE interface memories.

After the procedure was performed, I don't observe this problem anymore.

Silly question time but did you notice the first screen shot shows you charging at 15A out of a possible 40A and the rest show 30A out of 30A? That's odd if you were using the same charger the entire time.

I've limited power draw at home to 30A, since at 40A it sometimes trips the 50A breaker. The breaker is pretty old, it might be causing it. The wiring is 6-3, about 12 ft long into a brand new outlet, inspected by the city inspector about a week prior to delivery, so it must be the breaker. Will try to replace the breaker and remove the limit.

Interestingly, every time I plug in, it says that the limit is 40A, but within a few seconds realizes that the power draw is limited and changes the display to 30A.

It took the Tesla SC most of the day to diagnose and replace the master charger on mine - got the use of a nice white S85 loaner

And this ^^^ is exactly why people like Nigel and myself have been saying 'call the service center'. If you're having a problem consistently reproducing an error, remember they can pull the logs. And always take a picture of the error screen (like many of you obviously have, since it's reproduced here).

I have taken the car into my local SC twice for this problem but they say there is nothing wrong. I used to be able to charge at 40 AMPS from my Nema 14/50 since I got the car in 11/2012 but for the last few months it only charges at 30 AMPS even though I plug it in to charge overnight at 40 AMPS. I also get the " charging problem" message even though it completes the charge at 30 AMPS.

IMO these messages are examples of poor error messages. Tesla could easily put some more text in the error message indicating spike in the electricity.

I wonder if we're experiencing these more since it's the summer months.
Are people getting these messages during peak energy use hours (i.e. when people are blasting their ACs)?