Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Meet Up Near Ft. Myers Supercharger - Ribbon Cutting 7/25

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what I was getting but they said it could get up to 268 mi/hr!
Screenshot_2013-07-25-09-34-32.png

- - - Updated - - -

A big thanks to Erol and the Tesla team for an awesome meetup! Easy trip in my 60 so Tampa to Miami is now totally easy.

We now know why there was only two days notice. There was only planned to be one event in FL - the PSL opening, with the PSL Mayor, Adam Hasner (who is working for Tesla right now), TV, etc. etc. This was chosen because it is the first FL SC. There wasn't an event planned for Ft Myers.

When the forum lit up and people started asking for it, Tesla hastily put something together - i.e., on Monday there wasn't an event, and by Tuesday there was. Hence the scramble.

So the short notice - and the event - was caused by us.

Nick,

Both club members and certain involved Tesla employees asked Tesla corporate to have a ribbon cutting ceremony at Fort Myers. Tesla corporate should be commended for their receptiveness in permitting the second ribbon cutting ceremony. However, the timing of the event and the less than two day notice to Tesla customers was totally in Tesla's control. It is very misleading to suggest that the people requesting the ribbon cutting caused the short notice.

The Supercharger station could have been activated first and the ribbon cutting ceremony could have been scheduled later with adequate notice to permit Tesla owners, local political leaders and the media to arrange their schedule to attend. Our club members had to call the local media at the eleventh hour. We also notified the local County Commissioner of the District of the event. He was very supportive of the event and wanted to attend, but unfortunately due to the short notice he could not. We had to scramble to invite our general membership to ensure that there would be a decent and enthusiastic turnout and the event was a success. However, with ample notice it could have been even more of a success because it would have included the participation of local political leaders and more owners.

Larry

Last edited:
Fort Myers Superchargers
Fort Myers Supercharger ribbon cutting lineup.jpg

Charging at 176 miles per hour
Fort Myers Supercharger ribbon cutting charging.jpg

The business end of a Supercharger
Fort Myers Supercharger ribbon cutting buisness end.jpg

Alexis Georgeson, Tesla Communications
Graham Carroll, Tesla SE Regional Sales Manager
Fort Myers Supercharger ribbon cutting Alexis and Graham.jpg

Meetup following ribbon cutting. Club members, soon to be club members, and Tesla employees.
Fort Myers Supercharger ribbon cutting meetup.jpg

Larry

Last edited:
On the new SC in Darien, CT, I pulled up with 165 miles of range and it started charging at 265 mi/hr but then ramped down after it reached 80% SOC.

From the Tesla Supercharging webpage...
Optimal Charging
The fastest way to replenish your Model S is to charge to 80% state of charge, which is more than enough for travel between Supercharger stations. Charging the final 20% takes approximately the same amount of time as the first 80% due to a necessary decrease in charging current to help top-off cells. It's somewhat like turning down a faucet in order to fill a glass of water to the top without spilling.

This is what I was getting but they said it could get up to 268 mi/hr!
View attachment 26712

- - - Updated - - -

A big thanks to Erol and the Tesla team for an awesome meetup! Easy trip in my 60 so Tampa to Miami is now totally easy.
Your charging rate there is < 50kW so it should be able to go quite a bit faster since the maximum is supposedly 120kW. Maybe they are "throttled back" until final testing is done?? I'm looking forward to trying out a Supercharger but unfortunately was unable to make the two grand openings.

Your charging rate there is < 50kW so it should be able to go quite a bit faster since the maximum is supposedly 120kW. Maybe they are "throttled back" until final testing is done?? I'm looking forward to trying out a Supercharger but unfortunately was unable to make the two grand openings.

Hi Steve,

This Supercharger hardware eventually will be capable of 120kW. However, now they are only putting out 90 kW. Later this year Tesla will roll out a firmware upgrade to our cars that will enable the 120kW capability.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't see it mentioned here, but was told yesterday that at PSL the nearby TGI Friday's offers a 25% discount on meals while your Tesla is charging... Wonder if others will follow suit?
Pete

Pete,

Is there a TGI Fridays at Gulf Coast Town Center? I didn't see it listed on their store directory.

Larry

That Video was great! The Ft. Myers SC ribbon cutting had an amazing turn out for such a short notice. It's amazing what TMC and certain TM employees can pull off like Larry said. I enjoyed myself and it was great meeting everyone. I hope all of you can return soon but I will keep the SC warm until then. :wink: I will post some Pics.

Maybe, he said the highest he'd seen so far was 268. All I know is, I pulled in with about 50 miles left and had a full max range charge in about an hour. I'll take it!
I think the highest we've seen on TMC in pictures is 292 mph.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the highest we've seen on TMC in pictures is 292 mph.
... so 389 mph @ 120 kW expected.