Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1.0 browser improved with 2019.16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my circa 2017 June MCU1 AP2.0 100D model S just got the 2019.16 update and it looks like the browser performance has improved.

I use Tesla Winds regularly and before this the wind/direction indicator would not refresh at all if I have the map in the background. There is a count down to next update and it is basically stuck instead of ticking down every second. I had to bring up the sketch pad for it to work.

With 2019.16, I notice that the countdown timer would at least sporadically update every 5-8 seconds when the map is on and tracking, if the map is not tracking (auto center), then it would update every second and refresh as normal. So I go from having to hide the map using the sketch pad to just panning the map slightly so it is not tracking.

In another note, I haven’t had to reboot due to a stuck bowser yet. These two improvements allow the bowser to be barely useful, like the good old v8 days.

A welcomed improvement.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
LTE definitely makes an impact ;;also I thought the reduced price on the upgrade ?

I keep hearing that, but i had gotten a quote about a few months ago and it was 500. I got another quote and it went down to 350, then someone else told me back at 500. I really dont know what it costs, i just cant justify the 500 cost to a few seconds of loading times. Maps data maybe, but that is also slow due to my MCU1.

I keep hearing that, but i had gotten a quote about a few months ago and it was 500. I got another quote and it went down to 350, then someone else told me back at 500. I really dont know what it costs, i just cant justify the 500 cost to a few seconds of loading times. Maps data maybe, but that is also slow due to my MCU1.

So far I've seen a performance improvement with the MCU1 on 2019.16.1.2 compared to other Ver 9 updates. Before the latest update, the web browser and Teslawaze worked effectively about 60% of the time on 3G. So far it has worked 5/5 since the latest update.

As for upgrading the modem, I'll skip the LTE upgrade and wait to see if/when 5G is available for the older 2013 MS. I've never been one for incremental upgrades when it comes to technology; rather I use the old tech until it's near obsolete/borderline inconvenient before I look to upgrade :)

Does anyone know if having LTE or not make a difference in loading? I ask because my CPO has 3G modem - im thinking about getting LTE, but not sure if the 500$ cost is worth it.
I also have 3G and have been thinking about upgrading for the last 4 years :D
My car actually missed LTE by a month or so.
I don’t see a loss in 3G coverage where I live and drive (so far), and the service is perfect at what I ask to the MCU (ie steaming, nav and Tesla Waze on browser).
Up to a year or two back, loading the tiles of the map was not great and this almost convinced me to purchase the upgrade.
Then some update seemed to address this and now I hardly ever see those blank grid tile on the nav.
So no reason to upgrade for me. Still great experience and actually improved over the years.

So far I've seen a performance improvement with the MCU1 on 2019.16.1.2 compared to other Ver 9 updates. Before the latest update, the web browser and Teslawaze worked effectively about 60% of the time on 3G. So far it has worked 5/5 since the latest update.

As for upgrading the modem, I'll skip the LTE upgrade and wait to see if/when 5G is available for the older 2013 MS. I've never been one for incremental upgrades when it comes to technology; rather I use the old tech until it's near obsolete/borderline inconvenient before I look to upgrade :)

Jeez 5G? the CPU will be the bottle neck at this point as the data is coming in faster then the CPU can proccess. We would need to update the car or the MCU to be honest to something faster newer.