Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max speed JUMPS!! in cruise control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using the -20 offset in the AP settings I mentioned seems tremendously easier than your method. And you only need do it once too.

Then it simply always sets TACC/EAP to whatever your current speed is without doing anything else at all.

That’s fine for the edge case we are discussing, but I use EAP all the time. Your way means I have to come up to speed or set the speed manually every time I pull away from an intersection. My way means I just activate EAP, and it will automatically set to the speed limit whenever the map knows what that is and accelerate appropriately. I don’t have to wait until I’m at the speed limit, which might not occur for a while if there is traffic; I don’t have to set the speed manually, which is what I’d have to do to get the car to accelerate for me.

Same with activating EAP pulling onto a highway. I don’t have to wait until all of the cars in front of me are going the speed limit. I just activate it when it makes sense to, and EAP will take care of the rest.

That’s fine for the edge case we are discussing, but I use EAP all the time. Your way means I have to come up to speed or set the speed manually every time I pull away from an intersection. My way means I just activate EAP, and it will automatically set to the speed limit whenever the map knows what that is and accelerate appropriately.

You're not supposed to be using the EAP system at intersections in the first place- so user error on your part. The manual is explicit about this point multiple times.

Same with activating EAP pulling onto a highway. I don’t have to wait until all of the cars in front of me are going the speed limit. I just activate it when it makes sense to, and EAP will take care of the rest.

If you have no areas where the speed limit the maps have is so wrong that it causes problems (like the folks who end up going 20+ over because of such errors) then no need for you to use this method in the first place- you don't have the problem this solution fixes.

But lots of folks do seem to have it, and the solution I mention resolves that issue using the existing version of the software.

You're not supposed to be using the EAP system at intersections in the first place- so user error on your part. The manual is explicit about this point multiple times.

You seem really defensive. No need for that. Reread what I wrote. I am activating EAP *after* pulling away from an intersection, not before or within.

If you have no areas where the speed limit the maps have is so wrong that it causes problems (like the folks who end up going 20+ over because of such errors) then no need for you to use this method in the first place- you don't have the problem this solution fixes.

But lots of folks do seem to have it, and the solution I mention resolves that issue using the existing version of the software.

I do have places like this, including the road that runs to my house. I have no idea why you’re so dogmatic about this and turning it into a black and white issue.

Your way works best when you want to set your max speed to the speed you’re going no matter what information the car has about the speed limit. My way works best when you want to set your speed to the known speed limit regardless of what your current speed is. Neither is superior. Pick the method that gets you the behavior you want. End of story.

You seem really defensive.

You seem to really be projecting that :)

I'm simply pointing out you're using the car incorrectly according to the owners manual.

Reread what I wrote. I am activating EAP *after* pulling away from an intersection, not before or within.

Great. Now reread the the actual owners manual

EAP is not intended for use on roads that have intersections, even if you wait till you're not in the middle of one to activate it.

I do have places like this, including the road that runs to my house. I have no idea why you’re so dogmatic about this and turning it into a black and white issue.

I mean- it kind of is one.

If you have the original problem- EAP accelerating to much higher speeds than you wish because the speed limit database is wrong, my solution addresses that problem. By changing one setting, once, and then you never have that problem again, regardless of the database being right or wrong anywhere.

It is, to my knowledge, the only thing that does that right now.

Your solution involves first knowing off the top of your head if the database is wrong in a given spot every single time you want to use TACC... and then if it is, doing multiple additional steps every single time involving using the pedal and the scroll wheel.

Your way works best when you want to set your max speed to the speed you’re going no matter what information the car has about the speed limit.

Right.

Which is the exact solution the original poster was asking for

Original post in the thread said:
I have other cars with adaptive cruise control. And I’ve had many cars with some sort of cruise control. ALL of them will assume that ur current speed is the desired speed when you turn on CC.

My way fixes his issue and gets the car to behave exactly how he wants. With one single setting change he only has to do once.

Your method does not.

That is, indeed, pretty black and white.