Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that the speed limit issue was resolved by removing the speed offset option, and reacting to speed changes more assertively. Previously when there was a speed limit drop, the car would coast and slow down very slowly, and now the deceleration curve is higher. The car also seems to react to speed limit signs when visualized instead of making the change at the sign itself. So if the speed limit is lower, the car will detect that and start slowing before the sign is reached.
Not sure. All I know is the government was not happy with speed limit compliance, and hence the recall. School zone speed limits should count and be of equal concern to the government. But who knows…

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Not sure. All I know is the government was not happy with speed limit compliance, and hence the recall. School zone speed limits should count and be of equal concern to the government. But who knows…
I think the reason the regulatory bodies haven't come down hard on school zones is that FSD Beta is an L2 assist feature. It's quite easy for the driver, who must maintain total control over the vehicle while Beta is engaged, to simply wheel down the speed in a school zone. The driver can make the determination if children are present, or if driving through a zone with a day/time based sign (25MPH only during M-F from 8AM-3PM, etc), or if the yellow flashing light is indicating the need to alter speed.

A suggestion to solve the problem for many would be to adhere to any speed limit sign, without trying to parse the difficult conditions. So, driving through a school zone would drop the speed to 25MPH (assuming that's the limit shown) no matter when you drive through the area. Then you, as the driver, can wheel up the speed if you determine the car should not be slowing down as there are no children present.

Another suggestion is to standardize the school zone signage nation-wide, since there are so many different signages for the same thing all over the country. This suggestion is unlikely to be implemented for now, for obvious reasons.

The downside is that there are people who will complain no matter what solution is put in place. Some will complain their car slowed down from 45MPH to 25MPH at 7PM on a Sunday when going by a school. Some will complain about the drop in speed even during school hours. I have a large high school a block from my house and people routinely drive 45+ past it during school hours. They would be annoyed. Some would call it "dangerous" to have the car slow from 45MPH to 25MPH, and argue they would get honked at, passed aggressively, or rear-ended.

By leaving the decision to adjust speed down to the driver right now, Tesla can continue working on the problem without too much slap-down by regulators. However, recent media attention has pushed regulators to scrutinize more closely.

I think the reason the regulatory bodies haven't come down hard on school zones is that FSD Beta is an L2 assist feature. It's quite easy for the driver, who must maintain total control over the vehicle while Beta is engaged, to simply wheel down the speed in a school zone. The driver can make the determination if children are present, or if driving through a zone with a day/time based sign (25MPH only during M-F from 8AM-3PM, etc), or if the yellow flashing light is indicating the need to alter speed.

A suggestion to solve the problem for many would be to adhere to any speed limit sign, without trying to parse the difficult conditions. So, driving through a school zone would drop the speed to 25MPH (assuming that's the limit shown) no matter when you drive through the area. Then you, as the driver, can wheel up the speed if you determine the car should not be slowing down as there are no children present.

Another suggestion is to standardize the school zone signage nation-wide, since there are so many different signages for the same thing all over the country. This suggestion is unlikely to be implemented for now, for obvious reasons.

The downside is that there are people who will complain no matter what solution is put in place. Some will complain their car slowed down from 45MPH to 25MPH at 7PM on a Sunday when going by a school. Some will complain about the drop in speed even during school hours. I have a large high school a block from my house and people routinely drive 45+ past it during school hours. They would be annoyed. Some would call it "dangerous" to have the car slow from 45MPH to 25MPH, and argue they would get honked at, passed aggressively, or rear-ended.

By leaving the decision to adjust speed down to the driver right now, Tesla can continue working on the problem without too much slap-down by regulators. However, recent media attention has pushed regulators to scrutinize more closely.
The same would be true (your first para.) for speed limit reduction signs, but the regulators deemed a recall necessary - drivers thumbing down the speed not acceptable solution. It is as it appears to be…

In this part of the country, people slow down to 20mph in those zones - to avoid $250+ fines that are given out like candy.

• Informative
Sorry if this is a duplicate, but at 379 pages, I confess to not reading every one.

Anyway, freeway merging in 11.3.2 and 11.3.3 needs work.
  1. It uses the full length of the onramp and merge lane before actually entering the first traffic lane. It waits until the right line finally slants in, and seems to follow it almost precisely, which is actually a rather abrupt lane change. It does so even when the first lane is clear.
  2. It doesn't signal to show the intention to merge. So it's rude.
  3. If I signal while waiting for it to enter the traffic lane (because I want to be polite to my fellow travelers), it still merges as described above, and then executes a change to the second travel lane. That is, it seems to "store" my signaling as a command to change to the left, but doesn't consider it until after the merge is complete. (fixing 2 would make this null.)
  4. On some--not all--merges it comes down the onramp quite slow, like 35mph, even on a straight (non-clover leaf) ramp, then suddenly notices the speed limit is 65 and zooms ahead.

The same would be true (your first para.) for speed limit reduction signs, but the regulators deemed a recall necessary - drivers thumbing down the speed not acceptable solution. It is as it appears to be…

In this part of the country, people slow down to 20mph in those zones - to avoid $250+ fines that are given out like candy.
There isn't an issue with the car recognizing standard speed limit signs on city streets. I think the issue was that the car recognizes those signs and lowers the speed, it was just doing it at a very slow pace. It would take the car a block or so just to lower the speed 10MPH. Now it slows down much faster.

Variable limit signs, where the speed limit is one speed at a specific time of day, and another speed at another time of day, is where Telsa does not have the logic in place to handle it. Those areas the driver will need to step in and manually adjust. And with the variability of those signs throughout the nation, it's an extremely difficult problem to solve.

1680549322425.png

• Informative
I wonder what the reaction would be to automatically setting the school speed regardless of hours, days, when flashing, or even "when children are present"? Leave it up to the operator to increase when appropriate? Possibly legal, definitely annoying to all.
In some cases, this might mean always choosing the lower posted speed. Consider driving down a limited access highway where trucks have a lower speed limit. Remember that the speed limit adjusts with map data as well as in response to signs. Imaagine driving down one of these highways, each time you pass a speed limit sign, your set speed drops, if you incrase it immedaitely, it will stil drop again, if you don't, it will eventually increase. This isn't a solution or even a reasonable workaround. I'm already constantly adjusting my set speed because the map data is so bad, more of that doesn't solve anything.

There isn't an issue with the car recognizing standard speed limit signs on city streets. I think the issue was that the car recognizes those signs and lowers the speed, it was just doing it at a very slow pace. It would take the car a block or so just to lower the speed 10MPH. Now it slows down much faster.

Variable limit signs, where the speed limit is one speed at a specific time of day, and another speed at another time of day, is where Telsa does not have the logic in place to handle it. Those areas the driver will need to step in and manually adjust. And with the variability of those signs throughout the nation, it's an extremely difficult problem to solve.

View attachment 924550
Seem pretty trivial, just ask ChatGPT if you can park here. Prompt it with the current day of week, time of day, the text of the signs (or the actual camera image in case of multi-modal GPT4), etc. and ask for a simple yes or no.

Seem pretty trivial, just ask ChatGPT if you can park here. Prompt it with the current day of week, time of day, the text of the signs (or the actual camera image in case of multi-modal GPT4), etc. and ask for a simple yes or no.
Now you've got me thinking about them putting ChatGPT in the car.

Me: *wheels up the speed and uses the turn signals to initiate a lane change*
Car: "I'm sorry Dewg, I'm afraid I can't do that"
Me: *starts panicking - presses the brake pedal*
Car: "What are you doing Dewg? This is highly unusual."

LOL

🛑 April 3rd redo - 12 mile round trip to CU, same intersection as yesterday 🛑

Conditions:
Wet roads and over cast. Speed limit ranging from 20mph (School zone) to 45mph

FSDb Profile: Aggressive

Decided to head out during school bus hour; just to add stress to my day.... First and foremost - FSDb DOES NOT recognize flashing school zone 20 MPH speed limit signs, warnings or other. If you are not paying attention, you could easily fly through these zones at the non school time speeds listed for these roads - and, subject yourself to some steep fines 'ta boot. Similarly, children getting on and off of school buses remains unsafe - no recognition (by FSDb) of the school bus, flashing red lights and swing out school bus stop 🛑 signs. COMPLETE Trash. Personally, I would endorse the government recalling this "junk" sooner than later (save for the highway part).

Next, same behavior at this intersection as yesterday (replied to message above), but I was ready for it.... What I was not ready for was what happened shortly after completing the left turn... FSDb decided it didn't like the traffic in front of me (while moving at about 10mph) and jerked the wheel (Yoke) from my loose grip and jumped across the double yellow line into oncoming traffic lane. Good thing I was paying attention. Oh, and of course, the disengagement voice recording message didn't pop up this time. I forced one a few feet later by reengaging FSDb and then slamming on the brakes. Left them a choice message, I did.

I'm no longer going to use this version of FSDb - too unsafe to use in my area. No joke or exaggeration. Be safe out there, all!
Check back when V12 hits. EM tweeted it should be here in a few months.
So basically we will see you back in FSDb around 2025?

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc