Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map display is ... well, a little sucky

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every map display I've had in other vehicles has been more colorful, and actually displayed more info ... more street names, lake and river names, color-coded areas to denote shopping, local and national parks, terrain (like mountains, etc.), and even cemeteries. The Tesla maps are a dull grey/white, with no POI or color-coding and almost no street names. Yes, I know I can display sat view, but that's too cluttered a view for quick glances while driving.

Is there any way to inject some color and info into the map views, or is this it?

Reactions: bay74
I'm with Loki, the zoom level is the biggest problem. It's as if the intern who designed it had never imagined that there might be a city other than Palo Alto somewhere. The default zoom level amounts to a 6 second radius in my town, making it utterly useless.
Google maps does that too. Doesn't matter if your next turn is 100mi down the interstate, it defaults to a zoom radius of about half a mile. If you change it half the trip info goes away in favor of a giant "Re-Center" button.

The Tesla map won't even "stick" like that, but you can swipe down on the next turn box and it'll zoom out to an overview of the entire route. Since I typically already know where I'm going and just want traffic info, travel time, and SoC estimates, I usually operate in that view.

Reactions: KerryOH
Every map display I've had in other vehicles has been more colorful, and actually displayed more info ... more street names, lake and river names, color-coded areas to denote shopping, local and national parks, terrain (like mountains, etc.), and even cemeteries. The Tesla maps are a dull grey/white, with no POI or color-coding and almost no street names. Yes, I know I can display sat view, but that's too cluttered a view for quick glances while driving.

Is there any way to inject some color and info into the map views, or is this it?
My 2018 M3 had great color maps when I purchased in 2018. Since then, they’ve removed color replacing it with a few shades of gray/grey. As you note, other helpful information like street names have also mostly gone away. Yeah, sat view is better, but not for street names. So no, there is no way to inject color without using erasable marking pens and being a very fast colorist. It continues to amaze me how the early cars like mine have been continuously degraded in their functionality to meet the so far unobtainable driverless car.