Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Magazine reviews!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the author is slightly confused. The 2010 Roadster Sport motor is not liquid cooled. There has been talk, however, of the next generation Roadster which would include a liquid cooled motor and perhaps the battery pack under the floor. That wouldn't be for a while though. The Model S would have to be a success first. So at least a few years out.

Tesla has provided links to loads of recent articles, many European, on their Media Coverage page:
Tesla Motors - Media Coverage
Bora Magazine
June 3, 2009
Download the PDF here

The Car Connection
Rex Roy, June 3, 2009
Read the blog here

Whipnotic
June 3, 2009
Watch the video here

Monvolant
Éric LeFrançois, June 3, 2009
Read the French story here

France2.fr
June 3, 2009
Watch the video here

AEI
Lindsay Brooke, May 27, 2009
Read the article here

Autoweek.nl
Mike Daly, May 27, 2009
Read the Dutch coverage here

FAZ.net
Von Niklas Maak, May 26, 2009
Read the German article here

Le Monde.fr
Jeff Segal, May 21, 2009
Read the French article here

...etc...

http://http//www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/may2009/db20090519_566476.htm

Tesla Roadster | Car Review | evo

The driving bit is painless. In fact it’s rather better than that. As I head home to Cambridge after the Autodrome shoot, I’m blown away first by the fact that it all just works so beautifully, then by the sheer pace of the thing and finally by the fact that it gels so well with the Lotus chassis. It might not be quite as delicate and balletically agile as an Elise, but it’s pretty damn close, and the steering’s wonderfully organic in feel – a digital engine in an analogue chassis.

But something’s nagging away at me, and it’s the tiny touch-screen display tucked away in the bottom left-hand corner of the facia. When I left Bedford it promised an ‘ideal range’ of 91 miles – more than ample for the 40-mile drive home. But with around five miles still to go it’s down to just 20 miles and warning me that the battery’s low so it’s going into reduced power mode. Hmm. When I eventually park up, it’s down to 13 miles, so that’s 78 miles worth of juice spent in around half the distance. And okay, I was driving in a spirited fashion, but hey, it’s a sports car.

...But with around five miles still to go it’s down to just 20 miles and warning me that the battery’s low so it’s going into reduced power mode. ...

FYI, when I was riding with James from Seattle to Portland he had it in standard mode and right when we got to 25 miles range left it popped up the "running low, performance will be limited" warning. He then switched it to range mode and the range added 25 miles more (so ~50 miles left to go).

Also comparing standard to range mode it seems standard offered 200kW max power, with range offering 150kW. So it seems that the firmware is designed to use rounded milestones (e.g.: 50kW jumps and 25mile differences). This was with Roadster Sport, so the standard model might be different.

Tesla’s 244-mile Range: What Up With Dat? - Car and Driver Blog

Another range discussion. The car went 140 miles, but the driver ended up having to charge overnight at a hotel to get about 40 miles extra using 110V. Don't know if it is standard mode or range mode. It looks like the area is quite cold (there's snow).

The driver ended up disappointed:
I was never so happy to get out of a $130K car in my life. Getting into an Audi A3 TDI after nearly 24 hours and 181 miles felt like what I can only imagine a tethered parolee feels when the electronic leash is removed from their ankle.

There were less issues with range in older tests:
Tesla Roadster Sport: It’s Not What You Got, It’s What You Give - Car and Driver Blog
2010 Tesla Roadster Sport - Short Take Road Test - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

The article now has lots of comments from Roadster owners including VFX, indicating that the tester need to RTFM.
Looks like he had the roadster in standard mode for charging and driving so didn't fully charge the battery before setting out.
I suppose you will always get stupid articles like this when any new technology is not fully understood.:frown:

Tesla Motors has a blog posting about the What Up with Dat? article.

Tesla Motors looked at the car's trip log. It seems he left town at 85% SOC, drove between 70 and 80 mph, with bursts above 80 mph. The car had snow tires.

Joy. Will people be down on K.C. Colwell for shading the story, or will they condemn Tesla (Big Brother) Motors?

Tesla Motors looked at the car's trip log. It seems he left town at 85% SOC, drove between 70 and 80 mph, with bursts above 80 mph. The car had snow tires.

Joy. Will people be down on K.C. Colwell for shading the story, or will they condemn Tesla (Big Brother) Motors?
Tesla owns the car so the claim for privacy would be a bit harder. Data logging is standard in most cars and I think sometimes it is used for warranty disputes. Tesla is even going to add wireless eventually (truly Big Brother; don't know if the 2010 models already has this), although it requires owners to sign a release for privacy concerns.

I knew something was up with that article. I suspected the range mode vs standard mode, but I never expected the author to lie about his speed and driving style, which is very bad journalistic integrity. I didn't even really notice that he missed the cruise control, and I also wonder why he didn't simply charge when he got to his party.

Car and Driver's reponse to Tesla's blog posting: Tesla Roadster: The Mistakes We Made - Car and Driver Blog

Tesla’s blog in response to our experience with its Roadster Sport is so beside the point that we feel we need to respond. The simple truth here is that we made but two mistakes: 1. Not charging the Roadster in “range” mode, and 2. Thinking we could use the Tesla like a real car.

Last edited:
... I knew something was up with that article. I suspected the range mode vs standard mode, but I never expected the author to lie about his speed and driving style, which is very bad journalistic integrity.

It's quite possible the author genuinely thought he was driving gently.

I learned to drive in the '70s, and got my first car in 1981, when $1.35/gallon was much harder on the budget than today's $2.59. I hate to waste gasoline. I drive so gently most of the time, it gets on some passengers' nerves.

I also think he was thrown off by the fact that you get max range with an electric in stop-and-go traffic. He probably expected 180 highway miles to give him max range.

Last edited:
I also think he was thrown off by the fact that you get max range with an electric in stop-and-go traffic. He probably expected 180 highway miles to give him max range.

I find that the case with most motorheads. The intuition is that highway miles give the best efficiency, drilled in by a couple of decades of ICE driving. However, this is just a side-effect of idle losses and the limited range of rpms where the ICE stays near peak efficiency.

Once you eliminate those idle losses and the efficiency dependence on rpm (something both EVs and full hydrids do), then the aerodynamic losses from higher speeds would dominate (link below shows the relationship).

Tesla Motors - Engineering

we’re not inclined to believe their assertions that he was doing 80 mph consistently. Even if the logs can show that he was going that fast, they cannot reveal how he was doing so while drafting for better aero efficiency behind large semi trucks.

Err, they can go that fast?

And (pedantic, I know), but they probably can...

It's quite possible the author genuinely thought he was driving gently.

Switching to Range and back to Standard mode is a real wake-up.

You think you are driving gently, but in R mode you are driving gently, forced to by the machine.

Say you wanted to take a road trip and fully intended to drive conservatively but wanted to stay "honest" and so you put the car in Range mode to help you not waste energy. (ICE cars could use this)
Then, when driving in R mode you find yourself at a stop light and step on the pedal and wonder where'd the power go?! Then you realize you were not driving so gently after all. Happens all the time.

Then, after you do a few days in Range mode and put it back into Standard it's another shock. Whoa!, where did all that power come from? You didn't realize how much you were on the pedal all those days in Range mode. It was limiting your leadfoot more than you ever realized. Now the car responds, transfering your thoughts to the wheels on the pavement in one unbroken stream. Amazing. Two cars for the price of one.

Last edited:
I should remind everyone that Aaron Robinson liked it. He likes the Roadster Sport, too.

As I said in my comment to the What Up with Dat? article, every technology involves tradeoffs. I suggest we add a tradeoffs table to the FAQ.

Along the X axis would be cars, Tesla Roadster and eventually Model S first, then others. I suggest we start with the Porsche 911 and somebody's favorite Ferrari. Other cars might include a Prius and a Honda Odyssey.

Down the Y axis I suggest Price, Range, Seating, Acceleration, Top Speed, fuel cost/mile, oil change cost, time to refuel, and so on.

Last edited: