Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
First time poster, long time Tesla lurker and visitor to the forum.
I’m in Atlanta and last night for a whim to order a performance model 3 in White with white interior, and I wanted it in time for a trip early next week.
I called my local advisor who told me there was a white performance with white interior but with 18 inch wheels that just arrived in town. I asked her to check into it for me and call me back.
She called me back and explained to me MP3- situation. At first I was reluctant because I do not particularly care for the aero wheels. Once I saw what the wheels look like when you takeoff the hubcaps, I was pretty much sold.
Long story short, I ordered one this evening. There were four delivered to the Atlanta area within the last day.
I’ll be picking it up tomorrow!

Reactions: Big Earl
Just got off the phone with them and they are saying they got an email saying the 18" wheels price the same as the 20"s and the only difference is they don't include the performance brakes. She was confident there was no such beast as what's being reported here. Anyone have any tips for how to refer to this to be able to switch my current LR AWD configuration? Would be awesome if anybody has a VIN of one of these I could use to jump start the conversation.
Here is what a new order looks like, no vin yet.
The cost is $5000.00 less when opting for the 18 wheels/ I have confirmed with them you loose performance brakes/alum pedals/spoiler/sport susp. $49,990.00. All of which leads to these cars being unlocked LR AWD units.

upload_2019-7-17_20-7-23.png

• Love
Reactions: one4spl
I shared some screenshots and the VIN from the other thread to my advisor hoping they will acknowledge this is real. Hopefully tomorrow I can get an answer either way. Hopefully this wasn't a one-off run sprinkled around the country as seems to have been implied.

Reactions: jvmoore1
Makes sense... is there anything that you could post in a screenshot that would have the individually identifiable information in it cropped or blacked out I could forward to my advisor? I talked to a couple folks now who all think I'm crazy. Understand the sensitivity on this stuff so only if you're comfortable.

Pricing Details
Car Price $51,190.00
Autopilot Included
Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Included
All Black Premium Interior Included
Pearl White Multi-Coat Included
Premium Interior Included
Supercharger Network Access + Pay-as-you-go Included
18’’ Aero Wheels Included
Model 3 $35,400.00
Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance $14,590.00
Destination Fee $1,125.00
Documentation Fee $75.00

I posted the first shot earlier int he thread.. the second screen is what shows up in my account under build details.

I feel like all three sources are saying the same thing. The key, IMHO, being the 15,590 line item `Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance`

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 12.44.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 12.44.33 PM.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 9.29.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 9.29.21 PM.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 82
so if i'm used to my hellcat, corvette and 340i and i drive wide open and on the anchors constantly... will the M3P- brakes and equipment suffice?

If you're on a track driving like that you definitely want the Performance brakes - the regular brakes will overheat after a few consecutive, higher speed threshold brake events. But here's the deal, the regen braking takes most of the braking load on the street unless you are driving in a manner that's going to land you in jail if caught. The regen appears to not be slowing you down as much at higher speeds and at speeds around 90 mph and above so doing repeated threshold braking at higher speeds, the OEM brakes will begin to fade. But a couple of hard, fast stops is not going to faze them.

Please don't drive on the street in a manner that will cause the OEM brakes to fade.

Last edited:
So if I go buy this "M3P-" today outside of a dragy how do I know it's the real deal performance? Will the smaller 18s hook and launch as well as the full performance pkg?

The 18" tire size is not the issue. If you want to performance drive in a serious manner, you don't want all-season radials. Put some performance tires on those 18" rims and you'll be golden.

That said, the 18" all-season radials do pretty good for normal spirited driving if the temperature is not too high. They have pretty good turn-in and traction it's just that their ideal temperature range will eventually become overwhelmed and they get "greasy" after a few minutes of driving near the threshold. In colder weather they hang in there a bit longer but in hot, sunny weather with hot pavement they are over their optimum temperature range just from 70 mph highway driving. If you're going 10/10th (balls to the wall), they are going to fade pretty quickly unless it's near freezing. And then it will just take longer. They are a great "sporty" tire for an all-season but they are not performance tires.

As far as hooking up for a fast launch, on normal asphalt or concrete, in a straight line, you will get the same launch with the Michelin MXM4 all-seasons as a performance tire. Start throwing in some challenges like uneven (non-level) expansion joints, accelerating while turning sharply, etc, they will slip under full throttle and a Performance tire would be faster. However, you will get a better launch in a cold rain with the all-seasons than most Performance tires. The good thing is the traction control on the Model 3 is very fast and precise so it's not overly intrusive as it reduces power momentarily to allow the tire to hook back up. Most gas cars with higher levels of HP have traction control that really reduces performance when it starts kicking in, not as obvious with the Model 3 Performance due to it's faster reacting Traction Control.

Yeah but those carbon ceramic brakes are awesome though. Stop on a dime. The g forces felt when braking are incredible.

Nope. A higher performance brake will not stop you any quicker. They will just allow more consecutive stops with a consistent stopping distance. If you want to stop more quickly you need grippier tires, not bigger brakes. Even the weakest OEM brakes are capable of threshold braking from 100 mph to zero at least one time. It's the heat-soaking from repeated braking that leads to the need for bigger brakes.

Man I started this thread so excited to see if I can get a M3P- but after more thought i think Its beyond my budget haha.. I think a used M3LR RWD is the only way..... Happy to see everyone get their car though

Don't let that stop you, the LR Model 3 is a GREAT car! We have one of each, LR RWD and Performance Model 3 and it's a pretty rare circumstance that I wish I was in my P3D instead of my wife's RWD. What makes the LR RWD special is not so much how outrageous the power is but how accessible it is and how instantly in "hits". You don't have to plan ahead or wait for RPM's to build or for a downshift to happen, it's instant. And it's surprisingly fast and powerful even before considering how instantaneous the power delivery is.

There's a reason why so many car guys say "torque is where it's at" and the LR RWD has delicious torque.

Man I started this thread so excited to see if I can get a M3P- but after more thought i think Its beyond my budget haha.. I think a used M3LR RWD is the only way..... Happy to see everyone get their car though

That's the car both my Tesla friends said to get.. That's the car I called to order (new) yesterday morning when I found out, according to the rep, it's no longer on the off menu menu and he emailed the m3p- link, I went for it.. I'd be just as excited (and less nervous) if I had found a LR-RWD. Either one would have been a huge step from the Miatas I've driven for 25 years.

Everyone is saying you need the performance brakes with the performance car and @Knightshade is back rightly reminding folks tires stop cars because brakes stop tires. You can be a moron with any car, getting to a speed it can not stop before hard things get in the way..

I replaced the rotors and ended up with better brake cooling that stock Performance so there's that if you do track time. If you're really serious, race brake pads and better tires and other stuff probably. Pads were the weak point for me at Tesla Corsa; no stopping issue just the bite of the brake was softer after a bit.

I'm happy the Stealth Performance has returned! Will it get track mode?

Edit: Tesla now offers Model 3 Performance for less than $50,000 by unbundling features - Electrek

"So you still get that faster acceleration from 0 to 60 mph, but you lose the other performance features, including track mode."

My Stealth has it, I wonder if the article is wrong..

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with them and they are saying they got an email saying the 18" wheels price the same as the 20"s and the only difference is they don't include the performance brakes. She was confident there was no such beast as what's being reported here. Anyone have any tips for how to refer to this to be able to switch my current LR AWD configuration? Would be awesome if anybody has a VIN of one of these I could use to jump start the conversation.

Here is a Vin of a white one that should be in PA, 5YJ3E1EB6KF433227