Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV hiking insurance prices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How odd... a month later than this, last year I changed cars, from a Golf R to a M3P... LV were my insurer, and on asking them... apparently no, they couldn't insure it. So I ended up with Churchill. Clearly it's not as simple as they told me (and no, I'm not in my 20's... 40's more like), and no not inner city, or particularly high crime area.

Just renewed with LV.

I've got a 2019 Long Range Performance so I tried Performance & LR.

Oddly the LR came back with a higher premium than the Performance - perhaps LR owners are more likely to crash into something.

😄

How odd... a month later than this, last year I changed cars, from a Golf R to a M3P... LV were my insurer, and on asking them... apparently no, they couldn't insure it. So I ended up with Churchill. Clearly it's not as simple as they told me (and no, I'm not in my 20's... 40's more like), and no not inner city, or particularly high crime area.
Im there about same profile as you. Just sold My golf R last weekend and someone also left me a deposit on the little audi a1 (became a spare when we bought the sr+ last year. I had only just renewed the insurance on the golf (a month in) and thought I would get some quotes to transfer through my AXA online portal. They would not quote for any tesla and wanted another £130 on top to insure a first gen leaf! (just to tie me over till i get a model Y).

Last years insurance on the SR+ with Churchill was £365 and the renewal just came through at £349. Ill still get a few quotes for comparison but on the whole, very happy with that.

Reactions: phil4
I'm a few weeks away from my first year with Churchill insurance (£429) and hadn't received any notification for this years price so checked around.

Last week I got a quote from LV for £459 but couldn't set the start date to the 7th Sept only 31st Aug.
Tried LV this week for new cover from 7th Sept and it had risen to £515
Checked Direct Line via the Tesla link for new cover and they wanted £844
Checked Churchill for new cover and they wanted £811 ... things did not look good.

Got a Churchill renewal letter this afternoon and they are asking £429 - exactly the same to the penny as last year. :)

At last loyalty counts but it's surely a minefield out there in insurance land where they're all cowboys! :(

I'm a few weeks away from my first year with Churchill insurance (£429) and hadn't received any notification for this years price so checked around.

Last week I got a quote from LV for £459 but couldn't set the start date to the 7th Sept only 31st Aug.
Tried LV this week for new cover from 7th Sept and it had risen to £515
Checked Direct Line via the Tesla link for new cover and they wanted £844
Checked Churchill for new cover and they wanted £811 ... things did not look good.

Got a Churchill renewal letter this afternoon and they are asking £429 - exactly the same to the penny as last year. :)

At last loyalty counts but it's surely a minefield out there in insurance land where they're all cowboys! :(
I hear you. Have checked with any of the comparison sites?

Its still not a very good feeling when you are basically at the mercy of one or two insurers as far competitive quotes go. Personally, makes me feel like im holding a time bomb with the timer set to renewal time. It would be nice to see some vertical integration on our shores as far a tesla insurance goes.

Are you suggesting insurance from Tesla would be good? Assuming by ‘good’ you would mean cheap, i don’t see why it would be. Everything else from Tesla is expensive.
Good as in more competitive. As for everything else from Tesla being expensive, depends on where you stand. From my point of view its quite cheap (as a car that fits my needs) but each to their own I suppose.

Update on my Churchill renewal:
I went on their website to renew easily but for the very final stage, paying, I have to "chat to a payment agent" to make the payment.
First attempt failed so they emailed me a link to go directly to chat.
I've tried it lots of times and every time it waits a good while before claiming "all our agents are busy".
I'm deaf so resisting trying to phone them but may need to resort to calling them (via UK Relay) if that's the only way to renew!
What a dumb way to run a business!!

Reactions: pow216
I went on their website to renew easily but for the very final stage, paying, I have to "chat to a payment agent" to make the payment.
First attempt failed so they emailed me a link to go directly to chat.
I've tried it lots of times and every time it waits a good while before claiming "all our agents are busy".
I'm deaf so resisting trying to phone them but may need to resort to calling them (via UK Relay) if that's the only way to renew!
What a dumb way to run a business!!
Has you card expired? No easy feat to be disabled in this country... I wonder how people in third world countries cope?!!

Just renewed with LV.

I've got a 2019 Long Range Performance so I tried Performance & LR.

Oddly the LR came back with a higher premium than the Performance - perhaps LR owners are more likely to crash into something.

😄
Could be that there is more accurate claim data about LRs vs Ps because they are likely to be more common than the latter.

Had to call them (via UK Relay) - took a good 20 minutes to get past the phone queue and "talk" to Emma.
All sorted, she needed the 'magic number' on my card and debited £1, the rest will be debited on actual renewal in a few weeks.
Final renewal cost £429.
My exploratory new insurance quote was £811 which is the opposite of what we've come to expect with insurance where new insurance now costs almost twice as much as a renewal. Weird or is it just me?
LV will have to wait for next year now but their rates were just a bit more than my Churchill renewal price and way better than Direct Line.

Had to call them (via UK Relay) - took a good 20 minutes to get past the phone queue and "talk" to Emma.
All sorted, she needed the 'magic number' on my card and debited £1, the rest will be debited on actual renewal in a few weeks.
Final renewal cost £429.
My exploratory new insurance quote was £811 which is the opposite of what we've come to expect with insurance where new insurance now costs almost twice as much as a renewal. Weird or is it just me?
LV will have to wait for next year now but their rates were just a bit more than my Churchill renewal price and way better than Direct Line.
Thats great. Did you manage to find out what was the issue in the end? ... Cat and mouse game this is. Churchill are part of direct line in case you didn't know and not that it matters to you anyways.

Thats great. Did you manage to find out what was the issue in the end? ... Cat and mouse game this is. Churchill are part of direct line in case you didn't know and not that it matters to you anyways.
Nope they never said why I couldn't pay online.

I did know direct line and Churchill were affiliated but last year Churchill was a lot cheaper than Direct Line (even using the Tesla link).
I was really surprised by the £400 increase for a new policy this year and even more surprised that my renewal price was so much less.

There's been much talk of insurers removing the "new customer intro discounts" but there's got to be something wrong with a £400 difference!
(not that I'm complaining when its in my favour)

The insurance market here is impossible to make logical sense of and seems a bit random. I just renewed with LV and only got hit with a £15 increase over last year. The initial renewal offer would have been a £38 increase and I called and asked for their best price before I would shop around.