Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Mode upgrade now is 5k total!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already put down my $500 deposit the day it showed up for pre-order on shop.teslamotors.com, so this is exciting news for me!

Still haven't received any word on when I'll be booked in to actually have the retrofit done (doing it out of Eden Prairie location in Minnesota).

My only concern is that I am an early adopter of the ludicrous at 7500. I sure hope they will honor the new price. The other issue, when and where can I get this upgrade done.

My only concern is that I am an early adopter of the ludicrous at 7500. I sure hope they will honor the new price. The other issue, when and where can I get this upgrade done.
Speaking as someone who put down $500 based on a website offer and had the specs of what was offered downgraded days later after I paid, if they don't honor the lower price I will not only refuse to get the upgrade done as a matter of principle, I will either take the matter to the state attorney general or sue directly (I have the resources to pursue that and will do so out of spite) since I believe that kind of sales behavior may actually violate the law (haven't checked my state). HOWEVER, if the price is honored, as I expect it will be, then all is forgiven. :smile:

Reactions: davidc18
How long before someone offers to pay $500 just for the chrome underline badge? lol

You can get the "P" and the "D" letters right now from Amazon. Or at least you could.

It it wont be long before someone has an underline made up to stick on.

- - - Updated - - -

Due to Tesla's pattern of over-promising/under-delivering, I need to wait and see the update in the wild before they get my non-refundable $500.

Reading some of your recent prior comments, I wonder why you would pay them anything, results "in the wild" or anywhere else, for just another 69 or so horsepower, when they've already gypped you out of the horsepower you say that you paid for???

Why??????

What is it? Could it be that you are looking for better performance irrespective of horsepower numbers?:wink:

Speaking as someone who put down $500 based on a website offer and had the specs of what was offered downgraded days later after I paid, if they don't honor the lower price I will not only refuse to get the upgrade done as a matter of principle, I will either take the matter to the state attorney general or sue directly (I have the resources to pursue that and will do so out of spite) since I believe that kind of sales behavior may actually violate the law (haven't checked my state). HOWEVER, if the price is honored, as I expect it will be, then all is forgiven. :smile:

I heard directly from the SC that all P85D insane > ludicrous upgrades will be $5000.

I heard directly from the SC that all P85D insane > ludicrous upgrades will be $5000.

:smile:

As I posted already I opted for the upgrade upfront ... after a few days I didn't see the deposit show up on my credit card. I sent them an email and got a prompt reply (below) .... sometimes it's just best to reach out to the business you're working with directly if you have an issue. I think they were prompt and clear ..... now we just need to wait as they do the 1st upgrades in Fremont and decide on the roll out to other areas. I read all this discontent on $'s but i applaud them reducing the price for whatever reasons ... this is a limited time offer only for the P85D customers, it addresses anyone who may feel they bought the car and just missed the upgrade by allowing a upgrade path ... they didn't have to offer this .... but they did. Hell yes to the people who understand how performance minded people feel about spending money on performance increases .... but this is more than just the initial decimal increase ... it should also increase performance through the various speed ranges as someone here noted. I still feel it will be worth it down the road on resale ... as there will only be a limited amount of P85D L's and may help with resale .... but who knows ... you roll the dice and see what comes up sometimes ..... :)
......................................................................................................................
Hello Art,

Thank you for your reply. We have received your deposit and have processed the payment, so there is nothing else you need to do at this time. The retrofit will initially be made available at the Fremont Service Center sometime during Q4 with additional Service Center hubs rolled out shortly after. If Tysons Corner Service is not one of the prioritized Service Centers, you will have the opportunity to change your retrofit location once the list of hubs has been announced. Otherwise, Tysons Corner will contact you to schedule the retrofit when available.

If there is anything else we may assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best,
Krista

As I posted already I opted for the upgrade upfront ... after a few days I didn't see the deposit show up on my credit card. I sent them an email and got a prompt reply (below) .... sometimes it's just best to reach out to the business you're working with directly if you have an issue. I think they were prompt and clear ..... now we just need to wait as they do the 1st upgrades in Fremont and decide on the roll out to other areas. I read all this discontent on $'s but i applaud them reducing the price for whatever reasons ... this is a limited time offer only for the P85D customers, it addresses anyone who may feel they bought the car and just missed the upgrade by allowing a upgrade path ... they didn't have to offer this .... but they did. Hell yes to the people who understand how performance minded people feel about spending money on performance increases .... but this is more than just the initial decimal increase ... it should also increase performance through the various speed ranges as someone here noted. I still feel it will be worth it down the road on resale ... as there will only be a limited amount of P85D L's and may help with resale .... but who knows ... you roll the dice and see what comes up sometimes ..... :)
......................................................................................................................
Hello Art,

Thank you for your reply. We have received your deposit and have processed the payment, so there is nothing else you need to do at this time. The retrofit will initially be made available at the Fremont Service Center sometime during Q4 with additional Service Center hubs rolled out shortly after. If Tysons Corner Service is not one of the prioritized Service Centers, you will have the opportunity to change your retrofit location once the list of hubs has been announced. Otherwise, Tysons Corner will contact you to schedule the retrofit when available.

If there is anything else we may assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best,
Krista

Your post prompted me to go and check to see if they even charged me -- they did. Tyson's is also the SC most convenient to me, so I hope it ends up being prioritized. I put up a fairly belligerent comment about pricing, etc. earlier, but I think what you said about your attitude is also true of mine: you roll the dice and see what comes up. I expect they will ultimately do right by their P85D customers, or at least they genuinely intend to.

Maybe will will run into each other ... I also hope Tyson's Corner is an upgrade center ...... :)
Your post prompted me to go and check to see if they even charged me -- they did. Tyson's is also the SC most convenient to me, so I hope it ends up being prioritized. I put up a fairly belligerent comment about pricing, etc. earlier, but I think what you said about your attitude is also true of mine: you roll the dice and see what comes up. I expect they will ultimately do right by their P85D customers, or at least they genuinely intend to.

I have Ludicrous I got it in January. I never took the time to get actual hard spec #'s, but I wrote a detailed write up here. There are some others too, Performance of P85D with Ludicrous upgrade review

Do you notice it as a daily driver with Ludicrous on without Max battery? Yes.

Do you notice it with Max Battery "Ready!" Big YES! Especially when passing cars. The "Yes" drops off after about 70mph I would say. It is most impressive from a stop (which is no surprise) and then the 30-55mph area. Again this has no data attached, just about 5k miles driven with L.

P85D badge is given. The 90 only is there if they upgraded the battery too, which I believe is also a few thousand dollars more and only done in certain service locations.

Definitely notice a difference after my Ludicrous upgrade. Car feels even jumpier, if that's possible. Passing in the 55-70mph range is definitely improved, bringing the Model S up to the task of easily overtaking high-end ICE cars that decide to block you out of a lane. And it does so with such ease. Originally, during an acceleration from stop Insane Mode seemed to lose it's gusto beyond about 50mph, but Ludicrous keeps the power going beyond this. Cbin's writeup link posted above is very good, you should give it a read.

The P85D Ludicrous retrofits apparently are ramping up, and we have multiple threads in here indicating that, and it is good to see. The acceptance of the retrofit, the price point, the performance increase, the concept of allowing an upgrade to the former top performer which would bring it to the capabilities of the current top performer....all aspects of it except the timing and logistics of rolling it out, have been stellar.

While I don't look for it to happen soon, because as long as there is a dollar to be made by forcing people to "upgrade" their current vehicles by trading up to the latest and greatest, but I would not be surprised to see some of the performance ICE vehicles offer something similar.

In other words, an "upgrade", perhaps not to the level of the incoming latest and the greatest, but an upgrade, a performance upgrade, for a fee, but a factory sanctioned, after the fact or after manufacture upgrade......and under warranty, like the Ludicrous upgrade is.

Currently little to no such options exists in the ICE world. But I'm thinking that Tesla might become a trend setter here as word of this Retrofit spreads across "platforms", i.e. into the ICE world and the performance legacy of these cars is made.

Don't forger, the Ludicrous Retrofit is available for the the P90D as well.

Two threads have been linked to above discussing owners who have taken the plunge or who are in the process of taking it.

I have added another one to help give us an idea as to the number of members among us who have had it done.

How Many P85D Owners Have Completed The Ludicrous Retrofit.

As I write this, the number sits at 28. However I have searched this forum, and there are somewhere around 12 other members who have not "voted", (the screen names of those who voted, are listed) but have indicated elsewhere that they have had the Ludicrous retrofit done. SO just in here, there are somewhere around 40 people who have had it done.

As others have alluded to, the retrofit literally transforms the car. It has more power on tap to do with as the driver pleases. I can say without reservation that it is noticeable in every type of driving that I do. It makes the P85D more fun to drive, as difficult as that may be to imagine.

Finally, I have not used Max Battery.....haven't even so much as reached for it, but then I didn't use Max Battery when the car had Insane either, and I probably won't use Max Battery, as I have seen nothing written in here which convinces me that it is necessary for how I drive.

But Ludicrous, without Max Battery, borders on defying description. You've heard all of the superlatives, however it is my opinion that none of them actually do the experience of Ludicrous and the value of this retrofit, justice.

Last edited:
Don't forger, the Ludicrous Retrofit is available for the the P90D as well..

it's not a "retrofit" for P90D's as they already have the upgraded fuses in the battery packs already, so there's nothing physical to do to the car. it's simply a software update to activate the higher amperage/power. i don't think you even need to take the car into a service center, they could probably do it over the air.

that's what's gotta kill P90D owners... the physical capability to have full Ludicrous power is already right there in the car. basically you have to pay $10,000 for a keystroke. :confused: