Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air base price $52500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clear the Air – The $52,500 Lucid Air

Received an update from Lucid for the Air's starting base price. Very attractive starting price with a 240 mile range. Finally another affordable EV with a decent range. Let's just hope they have a plan to fast charge on roadtrips. The actual base price is $60K minus $7500 for federal tax credit for the $52500.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brando and tedsk
But can it go where an S60 can go?
Well, technically as of now, it can't since they don't even have a factory in which to build the car. :) It's great that they have as goals an aggressive price point and range, but their car is a few years off yet so it's premature to do any valid comparison with a real production car in terms of features, capabilities or price. And, by the time this car comes out, the benchmark manufacturer they're comparing themselves to would have upped its game as well.

• Funny
Reactions: Sully's8 and S'toon
$60K my butt. No. Freaking. Way.
Why not? the car they've put together has no reason to be more expensive than a Model S 60 and they've priced it about the same,

There have been tons of people guessing that this car will be way more expensive than an S, this shows it will be about the same price, and there's no reason to think it shouldn't be, it's the same class of car.

I don't know why so many people think this car must be so much more expensive than the S when it's doing basically the same thing in basically the same way.

Reactions: cizUK
That is a great price for a car that doesn't exist yet, and won't go on sale for years. I hope Lucid can execute. Competition is good.
The exact same thing was said about Tesla.

While execution is by no means guaranteed, I see no reason to be specifically skeptical about this company, they seem to have all their ducks in a row, and have every chance for success.

And yes, competition is good. This car will compete well with BMW and Mercedes, something Tesla really can't do right now.

Why not? the car they've put together has no reason to be more expensive than a Model S 60 and they've priced it about the same,

There have been tons of people guessing that this car will be way more expensive than an S, this shows it will be about the same price, and there's no reason to think it shouldn't be, it's the same class of car.

I don't know why so many people think this car must be so much more expensive than the S when it's doing basically the same thing in basically the same way.
The Air does seem more luxurious than the Model S, but I see your point.
Also it will be much more rare!!!

And it looks really cool!! :D

Compared to the estimated silly price of the Faraday this is encouraging. Good to see real competition. It is an attractive car. If all things were equal (time on market, Supercharging infrastructure) I may well have chosen the Lucid.
Time on the market is tiny for either one, so although there's a slight bit higher risk on the Air than the S in that department, it's not all that much, it will take a couple years to see how that plays out.

Supercharging... This remains to be seen, Lucid hasn't talked much at all about charging yet, and it's something they'll definitely have to address before launch. I expect we'll see that in one of their announcements soon. There are several ways they could go here:
1) Partner with Tesla on the Supercharger network. Tesla has previously stated anyone is welcome if they build a car that can handle it, and it's pretty clear that the Air could. It would also help take steps to ensuring that the Supercharger network becomes an actual industry standard and pave the way for even more adoption, and an increased buildout of chargers.
2) Build their own competing network. It would take a bit of time, but if Tesla could do it, there's no reason that Lucid couldn't too. And really, Tesla's done most of their work on that in a very short time.
3) Let others build it. This is the approach of the major automakers, and while it was a laughably bad approach even a couple of years ago, things are changing, and the infrastructure is actually being built. Sure it's not coordinated well, and it's still in it's infancy, but this won't be as bad an option as it was a couple of years ago. Especially if you let it charge from both CHAdeMO and CCS.

My personal preference would be a combination of 2 and 3. Build their own network using industry standards. it benefits everyone, and allows their customers a wide range of charging options (more than Tesla have honestly as Tesla can't use CCS which is likely to be the overall winner of the format war)

But just as it was silly for people to proclaim that the Air would start at over 100k it's also silly for people to proclaim that there will be no way to charge it. Let's wait for the official announcement and see. There's no rush, the cars won't come off the assembly line for a couple of years yet.

Everyone thought it would be priced higher because the one they showed will be more expensive

The luxury extras in that one will massively enlarge on that price (i.e. over £/$100,000)
Yes, but a P100D isn't 60k either.

I'd bet that just as the base Air is priced competitively with the base S, you'll see that the top end Air will be priced competitively with the top end S.

Not only is there no real reason they can't do it, there's always the option to take a lower profit margin than Tesla to make it happen if they need to (Tesla's profit margin is about double the industry average)

Yes, but a P100D isn't 60k either.

I'd bet that just as the base Air is priced competitively with the base S, you'll see that the top end Air will be priced competitively with the top end S.

Not only is there no real reason they can't do it, there's always the option to take a lower profit margin than Tesla to make it happen if they need to (Tesla's profit margin is about double the industry average)
Yeah
Do you think the Air will be more luxury-orientated than performance?
Although they did mention 1000 bhp

It's lower than I expected, but good luck to them. The only iffy thing is they share the same funder as FF, but Lucid's idea seems more easily implementable.
They don't share a founder, or really anything at all with FF.
The only link is that the fellow in charge of FF has also invested a small amount of money in Lucid, but not enough to allow him any decision making input.
It's no different really than the shares I own in Tesla, that doesn't mean I set corporate direction.

By the time Lucid's Air arrives there may not be a Federal EV tax credit anymore.

They have not even broken ground on their Arizona factory.

They have not sold out their 255 slots/reservations for Launch Edition Airs.

Stating a base price with base EPA range for some car that may be built at some point on an unspecified future date sounds vaporwary.

Reactions: JohnSnowNW