Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE fails after car sleeps and wakes up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the most popular mobile operating system (Android) is running Linux, and the second most popular (iOS) is based on a version of BSD Unix. They seem to do well. Writing a GUI RTOS from scratch is a monumental undertaking, and it would take forever to work all the bugs out. Imagine Windows 3.1 on your touchscreen. There's a good reason why many companies use UNIX-based systems.

A phone is nowhere nearly as complicated as a car when it comes to responding to hundreds of sensory inputs in real time, so I don't consider that a good comparison.

As far as gui windowing environments, porting anything that can run on Linux over, to say, QNX, is not a daunting task.

The reason people use UNIX based systems is that for most applications, it works fine, and indeed, is probably the best choice. But it isn't the best choice to run a car where most functions are handled in one software system. I mean, who else has the main car software system blink the turn signal lights, make the turn signal sound, open and close car doors, run the critical motor cooling systems, run the brakes, run the odometer, etc.

Even now on the latest software rev, you can confuse the OS to the point where you need a reboot. Just last week I was pulling out of the garage in a hurry and did about four things in very rapid succession, the end result of which the seat belt chime would not turn off. I don't know for sure, of course, but the cause felt like a dropped interrupt, or some mishandled event.

UNIX is not the answer to all problems.

A phone is nowhere nearly as complicated as a car when it comes to responding to hundreds of sensory inputs in real time, so I don't consider that a good comparison.

As far as gui windowing environments, porting anything that can run on Linux over, to say, QNX, is not a daunting task.

The reason people use UNIX based systems is that for most applications, it works fine, and indeed, is probably the best choice. But it isn't the best choice to run a car where most functions are handled in one software system. I mean, who else has the main car software system blink the turn signal lights, make the turn signal sound, open and close car doors, run the critical motor cooling systems, run the brakes, run the odometer, etc.

Even now on the latest software rev, you can confuse the OS to the point where you need a reboot. Just last week I was pulling out of the garage in a hurry and did about four things in very rapid succession, the end result of which the seat belt chime would not turn off. I don't know for sure, of course, but the cause felt like a dropped interrupt, or some mishandled event.

UNIX is not the answer to all problems.
The MCU (CID) doesn't respond to hundreds of sensory inputs, it's not got a lot of duties. It's mainly limited to HMI and Infotainment. Now the Gateway surely does, and it's running FreeRTOS. There's also the Body ECU, and that's microcontroller-based, so I doubt it's running much of an OS if at all.

well, I did LTE upgrade a week ago and it was all fine until today on the highway all the sudden it lost connection - no more LTE shown and all internet connection lost. It still displays the various signal strength with the bars though.

Rebooted the dash twice, and the touch screen twice, not coming back.

only wifi and radio works now.

waiting to hear back from SC.

I run two 128gb Sandisk USBs with no problem at all. I never lose my 3G signal unless I am out of range. Service did tell me that I need to remove the USBs every time I reboot when I had a problem not related to 3G. It's a hassle because it takes so long for the music to reload. But I have had no problems since following their suggestion.

I run two 128gb Sandisk USBs with no problem at all. I never lose my 3G signal unless I am out of range. Service did tell me that I need to remove the USBs every time I reboot when I had a problem not related to 3G. It's a hassle because it takes so long for the music to reload. But I have had no problems since following their suggestion.

What was the "problem not related to 3G"?

Data lost started since Friday. Removed USB stick, 12v outlet charger and rebooted both center and dash screen several times, still no luck and only wifi works now.

Here is what I got from SC that fixed the issue. SC suspect that it is the latest firmware related and have been at least 2. I did not want to drive to SC so they walked me through over the phone. It required pulling the fuse for the MCU.

1) open the fuse box on the passenger side. You see a bunch of colorful fuses in the red box.
2) The yellow 20amp fuse for MCU is in the top row (closest to the windshielf), 4th column counting from the right side (you are facing it, so the right side is toward the middle of the car). It is yellow color. Below it is a green 30amp. On its right is a green 30amp, and on its left is a brown 5amp. Make sure you identify the right one.
3) use a pliers to pull it out
4) leave it for at least 3 minutes --- make sure over 3 minutes
5) push it back, and the MCU will reset itself

for me, I knew it worked as the LTE symbol came back (when it stopped working, only the bars show but no LTE or 3G letter). I tested it by disabling wifi and everything is back.

SC alerted headquarter and pulled my logs. They are saying something about the LTE not properly powered up or what. They do not know why mine would lose it after a couple days in the middle of driving.

hope it works for you

Here is what I got from SC that fixed the issue. SC suspect that it is the latest firmware related and have been at least 2. I did not want to drive to SC so they walked me through over the phone. It required pulling the fuse for the MCU.

1) open the fuse box on the passenger side. You see a bunch of colorful fuses in the red box.
2) The yellow 20amp fuse for MCU is in the top row (closest to the windshielf), 4th column counting from the right side (you are facing it, so the right side is toward the middle of the car). It is yellow color. Below it is a green 30amp. On its right is a green 30amp, and on its left is a brown 5amp. Make sure you identify the right one.
3) use a pliers to pull it out
4) leave it for at least 3 minutes --- make sure over 3 minutes
5) push it back, and the MCU will reset itself

for me, I knew it worked as the LTE symbol came back (when it stopped working, only the bars show but no LTE or 3G letter). I tested it by disabling wifi and everything is back.

SC alerted headquarter and pulled my logs. They are saying something about the LTE not properly powered up or what. They do not know why mine would lose it after a couple days in the middle of driving.

hope it works for you

thanks yoyo, I am looking at the user manual fuse box section now, can you please confirm which fuse box are you referring to? from your description is seems like it's Fuse Box 2, fuse51 "Touchscreen"?

thanks,

anyone still having issues? I just updated to firmware .71 and now when i am parked in my works underground lot for more than a day and leave the LTE doesn't work, I have to reboot the main screen for it to start working again. On previous version (pre .71) I did not have this issue.....sighhhh

anyone still having issues? I just updated to firmware .71 and now when i am parked in my works underground lot for more than a day and leave the LTE doesn't work, I have to reboot the main screen for it to start working again. On previous version (pre .71) I did not have this issue.....sighhhh
Oh, how I hope there wasn't a code regression. This was fixed (in .58) after the .46 update broke LTE/3G.