Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put down the $100, worse case you lose $100 instead of thousands. Your SA can put the reservation on hold months out and then you get price protection. If the price goes up you are locked in and if it goes down you get the new price.
That's a great idea. I will do that. It's already on up $1500 since my first test drive.
One thing to consider is the 4680 battery. They said Giga Texas will make Model Y's for the east coast which is where I am. I think the model Y out of the Texas facility will have the newer battery. I think once they start shipping Model Y's from Giga Texas I'm going to pull the trigger regardless of the green act. Biden is at Ford today committing to the EV future so maybe that will speed up the green act bill. If I keep waiting for the next big thing I'll never buy it because there will always be the next big thing. But the new 4680 battery is important to me.

I read in the news today that Elon has announced that the Texas plant will indeed start with Model Y and these will have the 4680 battery from the start. However, it will probably not be until 2023 that you can buy one.

I read in the news today that Elon has announced that the Texas plant will indeed start with Model Y and these will have the 4680 battery from the start. However, it will probably not be until 2023 that you can buy one.

That is awesome. Very excited to for the 4680 Model Y. However, we have to take everything Elon tweets with a huge grain of salt. Many months ago he previously tweeted that SR is permanently cancelled and LR RWD is mere weeks away. That was right before SR was officially open for orders lol.

Reactions: turbospecc
Order on May 9th LR MY, 7 Seat, Black. Base price was $51,490. I see the configurator today now shows $51,990 base. Wanted to modify my order by adding the 20” Induction wheels but advised by my Tesla Sales Rep that if I do my price will jump by that $500 hence essentially paying $2500 for the option. Left it as is for now.

Order on May 9th LR MY, 7 Seat, Black. Base price was $51,490. I see the configurator today now shows $51,990 base. Wanted to modify my order by adding the 20” Induction wheels but advised by my Tesla Sales Rep that if I do my price will jump by that $500 hence essentially paying $2500 for the option. Left it as is for now.

I got that beat, I was in the process of finalizing my order Thursday night while using the chat function to speak with a rep about options and payment details. I said "BRB, wife has a question", he said "Take your time"... about 25 min later (now 12:15, just after midnight) I hit the "order and pay with credit card" link and get an error... rep says check on a different browser, so I do the same configuration in (shudder) Edge, and the price come out $500 more than the rep and I had been talking about for the last hour. I ask him about it and he was quite confused, after some research he told me that the price went up at midnight! I asked if he could do anything about it and he said he had no power, but my actual sales contact after ordering might be able to do something. He said he would forward the chat log to the sales contact to show that we were literally "in progress" on doing the sale when the price changed on us. I don't hold out much hope for getting it at the May 20 price :(

Keith

Reactions: cancoi
I got that beat, I was in the process of finalizing my order Thursday night while using the chat function to speak with a rep about options and payment details. I said "BRB, wife has a question", he said "Take your time"... about 25 min later (now 12:15, just after midnight) I hit the "order and pay with credit card" link and get an error... rep says check on a different browser, so I do the same configuration in (shudder) Edge, and the price come out $500 more than the rep and I had been talking about for the last hour. I ask him about it and he was quite confused, after some research he told me that the price went up at midnight! I asked if he could do anything about it and he said he had no power, but my actual sales contact after ordering might be able to do something. He said he would forward the chat log to the sales contact to show that we were literally "in progress" on doing the sale when the price changed on us. I don't hold out much hope for getting it at the May 20 price :(

Keith
Thanks for this report. I actually purchased the morning after a 500 increase not realizing what had happened. My browser still had the prior day’s information, but foolishly I refreshed. I am heartened to know that the transaction wouldn’t have gone though if I had not refreshed.

Thanks for this report. I actually purchased the morning after a 500 increase not realizing what had happened. My browser still had the prior day’s information, but foolishly I refreshed. I am heartened to know that the transaction wouldn’t have gone though if I had not refreshed.
If it makes you feel any better, had proceeded without refreshing your page you still would have been hit with the price increase. It would have giving you and error asking to resubmit/restart. Not that either helps the $500 ding. Who knows, maybe the price drops again, if it does and you haven’t taken delivery yet you would benefit from the reduction.

Reactions: MYMY21
Was going to put $100 down, I told SA I wanted to lock in the price but wait until Giga Texas came online to ensure I got the 4680 battery. SA said he couldn't put the order on hold for that length of time. By the time Giga Texas comes online there will be other options and they'll have the tax credit available.

Keith
A few weeks ago on a Thursday evening, the wife asked me "So did you order the Tesla last night?" and I was like "Oh, I thought you wanted to talk about it more. Ok, let's order it tonight before the price goes up!". I load up the Tesla website (it was probably around 10PM EST Thursday night) and I found the price had increased $500! Doh! The last couple of price increases had gone into effect overnight, so I thought as long as I ordered by midnight I'd be good.

The price has since increased another $500 since I ordered, so now I feel a little better about it.