Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low cost USB SD adapter with built in wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a low cost USB to microSD card adapter with built in wifi hotspot/client capability.
Yes, it is old, but it is cheap and workable for model Y 2022. It costs me CNY35 (USD5.3) for two pieces.
uSD provides more options and is replaceable. But it has a major shortcoming: wifi <-> usb is switched with a mechanical button.
mechanical_switch.JPG

At wifi mode, the USB host such as Tesla will find it's gone. After switching back to USB mode, Tesla will recognize it again without any problem, no need to unplug/plug.
At wifi mode, it is powered by its internal battery. If the wifi mode lasts too long, the host should keep the USB powered, e.g. keeping the Tesla door not closing. I replaced the battery with a larger one and added a wireless switch to control wifi <-> usb switching.
O1CN013GfWMa1NIZQ9JK69f_!!0-fleamarket.jpg

This wireless switch does not consume too much standby power.
1651754006320.png
I have got another wifi powered switch, it consumes nearly two times more.
I also automated the backup with a php script at my NAS.
<?php
shell_exec('curl -m2 http://192.168.1.XXX:8080/tesla_usb_on.php')
shell_exec('mount -t cifs -o username=admin,password=XXXXX,vers=1.0 //192.168.1.XXX/SDCard_Volume1 /mnt/smb')
shell_exec('rsync -a --exclude RecentClips/ --delete /mnt/smb/TeslaCam/ /sharedfolders/Tesla/')
shell_exec('curl -m2 http://192.168.1.XXX:8080/tesla_usb_off.php')
?>
replace "XXX" with your settings. Where tesla_usb_X.php are the wireless switching php scripts at the garage router (openwrt flashed). RF transmitter has been added to replace the small remote, and port forwarded 139 and 445 from LAN to the USB wifi stick. My garage is too small, parking could generate a lot of clips at the "RecentClips" folder, I exclude it at the backup process. 11n is slow, so I automate the backup after tesla parked.
App is missing from stores, can find it somewhere at internet, but the built in web can do pretty much the basic thing: changing the admin password. Default is blank and should not work for filesystem mounting. The web page locates at 10.10.10.254 when smartphone connects to the USB wifi stick hotspot: Verbatim_XXX, wifi password is verbatim.
BTW, Windows should not mount it due to smb v1 is used.
Two pieces are just good, I broke one after power the mini switch fanout at 5V (most USB does), the wifi portion works but this will damage the USB function permanently. On the other hand, bypassing the mini switch on board needs a microscope.
IMG_20220506_070330.jpg
o_O May screw up other things during soldering.
Finally, my uSD is just a surveillance recording grade 128G SD card bought from online store, ~1.7 times the cheapest one. Format it with Tesla along with the USB wifi stick, No write speed problem at recording. I did encounter speed problem with a cheap USB hub along with original tesla provided stick, so latency could be a problem, but not with this one (no hub in the middle!).
verbatim_modified.jpg