Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud hum with heat on full blast?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning was our first very cold morning since getting my new MXLR and I noticed a pretty loud hum.

I've used the heat before today when it wasn't quite as cold and didn't notice the hum, but it was very evident this morning.

I read in another thread where this may be normal due to the way heat is generated but there wasn't much discussion about it.

Is this something normal or is this an issue?

I have to take it in for service tomorrow already so I'm going to ask the SC about this but I trust this forum more so I'm curious to hear your feedback.

Thank you!

This morning was our first very cold morning since getting my new MXLR and I noticed a pretty loud hum.
I've used the heat before today when it wasn't quite as cold and didn't notice the hum, but it was very evident this morning.
I read in another thread where this may be normal due to the way heat is generated but there wasn't much discussion about it.
Is this something normal or is this an issue?
I have to take it in for service tomorrow already so I'm going to ask the SC about this but I trust this forum more so I'm curious to hear your feedback.
Thank you!
I’d bet it is the heat pump running, it makes a kind of strange sound. Humming is not the word I would choose to describe it. To me, it sounds more like a small motor running, but it is not very loud IMO. It is easy to hear when approaching the vehicle.

Reactions: mongo
I’d bet it is the heat pump running, it makes a kind of strange sound. Humming is not the word I would choose to describe it. To me, it sounds more like a motor running, but it is not very loud IMO. It is easy to hear when approaching the vehicle.
I didn't listen to it from the outside to know if you can hear it from out there, but I would definitely call it a hum.

If it does it again in the morning I will grab a video to share!