Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing connectivity and autoplay after sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About a week ago, I started having problems connecting to my parked Tesla Model Y (2022) from the app. Then I figured that there is no connectivity when I get into the car, and the music autoplay is no longer working.
Tried resetting the car several time, reinstalled mobile app (iOS), but nothing helped.
I saw on the forum that some people had similar issues with Model 3 and Model S, but that was long time ago. My Model Y has latest update 2023.26.7, and the mobile app is on version 4.24.5

I did some additional testing. If I park the car and power it off via touchscreen and then power it back on, connectivity and autoplay are lost. After few minutes, connectivity comes back. If I leave the car while park, I can connect to it via the app, but if I wait for 30 minutes and then try to connect via the app, it fails. It is so annoying.

Did anyone have a similar problem recently and were you able to solve it?

A little explanation.

The car goes to sleep and then it also goes into a deep sleep. Any access by the app or third-party app will wake the car up. Sleep is good, as it decreases the battery usage by shutting parts of the car down, especially the bigger computers.

You should never have to shut the car down with the screen. In 5+ years, I've never done it.

When you use the app, the app talks to Tesla, which then reaches out to the car using cellular connectivity.
When the app unlocks the car, it uses Bluetooth. So it may be a little confusing about how the app is talking to the car.

If the car is parked in a garage, there is a high possibility that it can't hear the cellular signal or that the signal may be marginal. So it is quite possible that the car can't hear you, even though it is in range of your WiFi and you are a few feet away from it.

When the car goes to sleep, it shuts things down and leaves the cellular connection in a low power, sleep mode. So it may take a little bit to wake it up, and if the car is in deep sleep, it can take over 30 seconds to wake it up enough to respond.

I believe that the music is also controlled by the cellular connection.

We may be able to help you better if you say explicitly what is and what isn't happening.

The problem is that the car can't be woken up by the app after being parked for more than 30 minutes. In the first 30 minutes, I can connect to it via the app, look at cameras, turn on AC, etc. I am unable to to that after 30 minutes.
I park in outside in the usual place which has strong cellular signal.

It looks like the car looses connectivity completely. After getting back in the car, the connectivity comes back after few minutes.

How do you know that the car has good cellular coverage? Are you looking on your phone or in the car?

How long are you waiting for the car to wake up? Is the app timing out?

It is quite possible that the current software release is doing it to you. You may want to wait for an update to see what happens.

I am looking in the car. When I do the speedtest via car's browser, I'm getting 58.9/6.78 Mbps (download/upload). I am parking in the same spot where I always parked and never had issues before.
The app is timing out, unfortunately.
Guess, I'm going to wait for the next update and hope it gets solved.
Thanks for trying to help.

I am looking in the car. When I do the speedtest via car's browser, I'm getting 58.9/6.78 Mbps (download/upload). I am parking in the same spot where I always parked and never had issues before.
The app is timing out, unfortunately.
Guess, I'm going to wait for the next update and hope it gets solved.
Thanks for trying to help.
And what connectivity does the car have? WiFi or Cellular? I'm guessing WiFi.

Got into our 21 MY LR on Saturday morning and had a message stating "Lost Connectivity". No GPS or streaming. The LTE icon has a slash through it. Called the owner of CPR Repair in Houston and he told me to reboot the computer. The rebooting worked and the GPS and streaming was working.
On Sunday I noticed that the Sentry mode was coming on while the MY sat in the garage. Talked with a friend and he made some recommendations which partially worked. Looked at the owners manual and it mentioned about putting your home address in the GPS. When I first got the MY I did this step.
Evidently the Lost Connectivity erased my home address and all of my destinations in the GPS.The previous destinations were blank.In the Security section on the monitor does the Exclude Home have to be checked so that the Sentry does not record while the MY is at home?
Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

I know this thread is dated but since FSD beta 27.6 / 27.7, I have been having LTE issues in my 2018 M3LR RWD where it kicks in after 5 minutes of being idle or have to reboot. Our 2022 MYLR AWD is on the same FSD version and doesn’t have this issue. Anyone else experiencing it? Tesla wants to charge me $240 to generally diagnose the issue.