Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Los Angeles DWP rate plans - which do you use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to get information on the cost of charging my car here in Los Angeles and I'm reaching out to you to see if I have my facts straight and to see what people in the L.A. area are doing. The LADWP has two residential rate plans - the Standard Residential rate plan and the Time-of-Use rate plan. What I'm understanding is in the Standard plan, you're charged solely by the amount kilowatt hours used regardless of time of day. So am I correct to assume there's no advantage to charging your car at night as opposed to the middle of the day? In the Time-of-Use rate plan, you're charged by the time of the day and season that you use electricity. Therefore, it's cheaper if you plug in during the base period, such as in the evenings and weekends, where you pay less than use in the high peak hours. The LADWP says that if you constantly go into Tier 3 usage, it might be a good idea to switch over to the Time-of-Use plan. I'm currently using the Standard plan and I have never gone into Tier 3 (I have not taken delivery of my car yet so I've never charged a car).

So I'm wondering if any of you out there who are LADWP customers have found it cheaper to switch over or have you stayed on the Standard Residential plan. Thanks.

I'm trying to get information on the cost of charging my car here in Los Angeles and I'm reaching out to you to see if I have my facts straight and to see what people in the L.A. area are doing. The LADWP has two residential rate plans - the Standard Residential rate plan and the Time-of-Use rate plan. What I'm understanding is in the Standard plan, you're charged solely by the amount kilowatt hours used regardless of time of day. So am I correct to assume there's no advantage to charging your car at night as opposed to the middle of the day? In the Time-of-Use rate plan, you're charged by the time of the day and season that you use electricity. Therefore, it's cheaper if you plug in during the base period, such as in the evenings and weekends, where you pay less than use in the high peak hours. The LADWP says that if you constantly go into Tier 3 usage, it might be a good idea to switch over to the Time-of-Use plan. I'm currently using the Standard plan and I have never gone into Tier 3 (I have not taken delivery of my car yet so I've never charged a car).

So I'm wondering if any of you out there who are LADWP customers have found it cheaper to switch over or have you stayed on the Standard Residential plan. Thanks.

Time of use is better. More info here and attached...

LA/LADWP owners and TOU billing

Attachments

• Level II EV Charging and Meter Options.pdf
    25.2 KB · Views: 452
I'm not with LADWP, I'm with SCE, but they have a similar plan. We've stayed on the standard plan because my wife is home during the day (she works from home), and during the summer the AC runs a lot. She isn't convinced that a TOU plan would save us anything, even though the SCE tools say it will. And I can't get her to change her mind. But, since she handles the finances around our house, I don't push it......happy wife, happy life. :)

Reactions: Mr. Big
To follow up on my original post, I emailed the LADWP and got an email and a phone call back within a half an hour! The service rep reviewed my past usage and saw that I pretty much stayed in Tier 1 usage and sometimes in Tier 2, but never in Tier 3. In his experience, switching me to the Time of Usage rate plan would not benefit me because I currently do not pay Tier 3 prices, whereas I would always pay High Peak (which is comparable to Tier 3 pricing) from 1pm - 5pm every day (I work at home) if I switched. He said there's also an option of adding a 2nd meter dedicated to my charger, but thinks the price of the installation might not be worth the savings per kWh. I'll monitor my energy usage for at least 6 months to see if I want to go that route.

Many times, these "time of use" plans have different "non bypassable charges" (NBC's) than the regular tiered rate plans. In my case (SCE) it does NOT make sense for me to switch from the tiered rate to a time of use rate, even the special one they have for EVs, even if I get a powerwall to go with my solar (which I am).

This is because of (among other things) the difference in net metering 1.0 vs 2.0 (Im on 1.0) and the difference in NBCs between the two.

In order to really answer your question, you have to look at what the minimum charges are, etc. If you are going to charge at home, and dont drive much (and thus wont spend "too" much additional power charging), it might work out for you to stay on your rate, or it might not.

You really wont know until you get a couple of months of usage under your belt with your new tesla.

I have solar and usually I never use more electricity than I am able to produce. With an ev if you drive moderately it will spike your energy use. I see it in the my 2018 energy trends vs 2019. So it pays off for me to use TOU and charge at off peak hours.

Sorry for reviving this thread. But did you end up switching over to TOU?

^^^ Nope, I stayed with the Tiered Plan because after monitoring my usage for a year I found I never went into Tier 3 so, as I was told by the rep, it wouldn't be worth the cost of installing a TOU meter.

^^^ It's always good to occasionally check to see if the LADWP has any promotional programs to reduce the installation cost of the TOU meters. They had a $250 discount earlier in the year but I passed on it.

^^^ It's always good to occasionally check to see if the LADWP has any promotional programs to reduce the installation cost of the TOU meters. They had a $250 discount earlier in the year but I passed on it.
I’m not sure if I am allowed to change meter since I am just renting. But so far my bills have never been to Tier 3. Always at Tier 1 and Tier 2 during the summer season. So I guess I just have to stick with Standard rates.

Reactions: lUtriaNt