Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for 2 buck method washing supplies kit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a list of what I should get to see the best results? Does anyone have a source for a kit that has everything I’ll need in a single purchase? This is all I have so far:
45CA4BB2-5EB9-4552-B77C-B9F3D7F1E9BC.png

Good list by @squash. But let me add another idea. I find a one bucket method to be even easier and will require fewer items:

One of the buckets.
No need for grit guard(s)
Instead of a wash mitt, get several quality microfiber towels

Rather than rinsing and re-using a wash mitt, start with several MF towels dunked into your wash solution. Fold into fourths, use one side per panel, flipping as needed. Even though there are 8 sides, I usually just use 4 sides per towel. Once all 4 sides have been used, gthat towel is done for the session. Don't re-introduce dirty towels into the wash solution. I typically use 3-4 towels per wash. This way, no need for a grit guard and no need for a second rinse bucket.

I would get good microfiber towels from The Rag Company, Optimum No Rinse wash and a Griot's Garage PFM Drying towel.

Reactions: squash1978
That's all you really need

Get the buckets from Home Depot instead. The Lowe's buckets are non-standard and too narrow at the bottom. So much so that Grit Guards don't fit. They are also significantly more flimsy.

Reactions: brkaus
Good list by @squash. But let me add another idea. I find a one bucket method to be even easier and will require fewer items:

One of the buckets.

Rather than rinsing and re-using a wash mitt, start with several MF towels dunked into your wash solution. Fold into fourths, use one side per panel, flipping as needed. Even though there are 8 sides, I usually just use 4 sides per towel. Once all 4 sides have been used, gthat towel is done for the session. Don't re-introduce dirty towels into the wash solution. I typically use 3-4 towels per wash. This way, no need for a grit guard and no need for a second rinse bucket.

I would get good microfiber towels from The Rag Company, Optimum No Rinse wash and a Griot's Garage PFM Drying towel.

Agreed. Rinseless Wash is the way to go, but it doesn't replace full 2 bucket method when the car has too much dirt.

I personally hate 2 bucket method so what I do when the car is too dirty is take it through a touchless wash then do rinseless wash when I get back to the garage.

Get the buckets from Home Depot instead. The Lowe's buckets are non-standard and too narrow at the bottom. So much so that Grit Guards don't fit. They are also significantly more flimsy.

A lot of the reviews on Amazon said the same about the Lowe's buckets being too narrow for the grit guards. On a whim, I decided to see for myself and brought the grit guard to Lowe's to test out. It fit perfectly; perhaps they changed their buckets recently. Anyway, they work well for me.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
A lot of the reviews on Amazon said the same about the Lowe's buckets being too narrow for the grit guards. On a whim, I decided to see for myself and brought the grit guard to Lowe's to test out. It fit perfectly; perhaps they changed their buckets recently. Anyway, they work well for me.

Fair enough.

OP, I know you wanted to buy everything AT ONCE. But maybe you should get the grit guards FIRST then bring them to Lowe's and check.

Or you can just go to HD cause those work for sure.

I bought this a few years ago and still use the buckets/grit guards. In addition, I bought the mini air blaster thing to help spray water out of hard to dry areas. Are the above products worth the cost? Probably not, as I am certain Adams just slaps their logo on something you could find on amazon for half the price, but I am a name brand sucker :D.

I’d take everyone else’s suggestions and just piece a kit together on amazon/buy stuff at Lowe’s/HD. You’ll at the very least save a bit of money, and maybe even get a better assortment of supplies.

Since getting the Model 3, I’ve been using opti-coat products; specifically opticoat no rinse and hyperseal. I also bought the gold sponge they sell, in addition to the ultimate drying towels. So far, great results! The micro fibers are way better than Adams’ offering, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juic

One of the buckets.

+1
Exactly what I do and I’m happy with the results
Started off trying 2 bucket method, but found 1 bucket and 3-4 soaked MF towels works for me