Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lockheed Martin Pursuing Compact Nuclear Fusion Reactor Concept

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ymh... Although I am all for the fusion power, an idea of a high neutron flux device (with high speed neutrons) which contains good amount of tritium, in some ones garage, is not necessary a good idea...
I'm hoping that everyone realized I (and others) were joking. If Lockheed can actually get a 100MW reactor down to the size of a semi-trailer, or even a rail boxcar, then its energy output per volume will be about 2x-4x higher than a grid-scale combustion turbine. To give you a sense of scale, 500 such units would power all of California. Way, way bigger than anything you'd use personally.

If Lockheed can actually get a 100MW reactor down to the size of a semi-trailer, or even a rail boxcar, then its energy output per volume will be about 2x-4x higher than a grid-scale combustion turbine.

Is that just the reactor? Is this supposed to be like focus fusion where the reactor actually produces electricity or a thermal plant that still needs to convert heat into electricity.

LOL:
"This design has two doughnuts and a shell so it will be more than four times as bad as a tokamak"
(Tom Jarboe, professor of aeronautics and astronautics, an adjunct professor in physics, and a researcher with the University of Washington's nuclear fusion experiment.)

I always liked the Thorium reactor fueled Cadillac WTF. In this case, WTF stands for World Thorium Fuel concept, but I think the more common meaning applies as well!

cad_wtc_conc.jpg

If it were almost any company except Lockheed, I'd be more skeptical. But the Skunk Works has done "impossible" things in the past (SR-71, F-117, etc) - they've got to be pretty confident to go public on something like this.

This is also a great way for them to get off of the defense dependency that most aerospace manufacturers suffer from. Lockheed has almost no civilian products.

I doubt it'll pan out, but it'd be great if it did. My big objection to hydrogen fuel cells is the source of the hydrogen - usually produced by the reformation from natural gas, so that makes conventional hydrogen a fossil fuel. But, if electricity is cheap enough, that equation changes - hydrolysis becomes economical.

You still have the distribution headache, but I'd rather have people driving clean hydrogen than ICE (OK, EVs come first). People really like the idea of quick refueling.

I doubt it'll pan out, but it'd be great if it did. My big objection to hydrogen fuel cells is the source of the hydrogen - usually produced by the reformation from natural gas, so that makes conventional hydrogen a fossil fuel. But, if electricity is cheap enough, that equation changes - hydrolysis becomes economical.

You still have the distribution headache, but I'd rather have people driving clean hydrogen than ICE (OK, EVs come first). People really like the idea of quick refueling.
If the electricity is that much cheaper, it will be that much cheaper to charge an EV. Hydrogen will still have a higher cost because distribution is more difficult. It might drive the price down enough to beat gas, but it won't drive it down enough to beat batteries. Sure, a clean and safe hydrogen system is fine, I just don't see it being economically viable even with fusion making electricity even cheaper.

I would not stop drilling for oil just yet. My first job was in the Fusion Energy Field at Princeton university. I worked on the earlier Tokamaks mentioned in the article. 40 years ago commercial Fusion energy was thought to be 20 years away. Today after many countries have spent billions of dollars, commercial Fusion Energy is still thought to be 20 years away. While this article seems to indicate the reactor itself has been shrunk, the issue is the supporting infrastructure to run all the the magnetic and heating systems are likely still the size of a large building.

I would not stop drilling for oil just yet. My first job was in the Fusion Energy Field at Princeton university. I worked on the earlier Tokamaks mentioned in the article. 40 years ago commercial Fusion energy was thought to be 20 years away. Today after many countries have spent billions of dollars, commercial Fusion Energy is still thought to be 20 years away. While this article seems to indicate the reactor itself has been shrunk, the issue is the supporting infrastructure to run all the the magnetic and heating systems are likely still the size of a large building.

Not to derail this thread, but were you involved as an engineer, physicist or otherwise?

Not to derail this thread, but were you involved as an engineer, physicist or otherwise?
I am an EE and worked on various control systems and designed custom instrumentation. I got to deal with systems as high as 200,000 volts, and 500,000 amps (not at the same time). Lots of weird things happen at those extremes. At these high current levels the magnetic forces often tore really heavy wires off their connections. Spent much of my time with something called Neutral Beam Injection which was one of the many methods used to heat the plasma to light off the fusion reaction (that plus lasers, strong RF and microwave). For the main tokamak energy was stored in 100+ ton flywheels spun up over several minutes with all the energy pulled out within a few seconds to run the pulse for the experiment. Without the mechanical energy storage the lab would dim the lights from NY to Philadelphia. The lab is still operating today but with more smaller experiments to work the physics, the older large machines are decommissioned. The big Tokamak multi national lab, ITER, is now in Cadarache, southern France.