Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaners now speed limited?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, how did that phone call go exactly? "Uh yeah, I wanted to break the law even further in your car but it stopped at 80?"

But seriously, No issues from me at even capping the new cars with cameras at the speed limit. Tesla owns the car and lets you use it as a courtesy (as they should with costly cars).

To be clear...
1. Valet mode is very different from the loaner-speed-limit setting.
2. They've been doing the loaner-speed-limit setting for a while now -- just not consistently across service centers or even within each service center.

They've been capped pretty much since the loaner program began. I'm approaching 3 years of ownership (about 6 week shy…), and I've other than my first service visit on Day 9 (to replace a failed main charger…) and one other visit where the local SC was out of loaners, I've always had a Tesla loaner. I've probably had 8-10 loaners total (plus 2 non-Tesla rental car loaners).

All except one have been capped. The one that wasn't was likely a miss by someone in the service center that forgot to

I have noticed on the last 2 loaners that the cap is now softer -- they used to abruptly cap power and you really couldn't exceed the cap. Now, power cut is a much softer -- you can actually exceed the cap by 2-3MPH when accelerating, but you'll then slow back down to the cap.

Edit -
From other reports here, it sounds like different service centers may or may not be as strict with making sure the cap was enabled… My SC pretty much makes sure its on (I think the one I had without was a fluke)...

Personally, I think it is a very good idea. There are a lot of selfish people that love to abuse things that are not theirs. "oh it's a rental" mentality. Considering that we can be driving a "loaner" worth upwards of 100K and well over, as I have every time I have gotten one, it is in their best interest to do this.

I support it fully and would actually drop the max speed to the regional max limit. I can drive balls out in my own car at my own risk. Which, of course, I do.

Yeah, not sure I agree with that. It would be one thing if I pulled in in my C250 and the Mercedes dealer gave me an S class loaner but I pulled in with a Model S and was loaned a Model S. This accomplishes nothing. It doesn't prevent the car from being abused. It's a P85. What do you think puts more strain on the car? Hard acceleration or me doing 95mph on the expressway. Slapping a limiter on the car does nothing to protect, Tesla or myself and only serves to make me feel as if I'm some sort of child that needs to be controlled.

So in that sense I could somewhat understand a power limit but not a speed limiter and not one so arbitrarily low, especially in California where many of our interstates have 75 mph limits where the flow of traffic is 85 - 90mph. With an 80 mph speed limiter I effectively wouldn't be able to pass anyone on an interstate. You want to talk about dangerous? Do the speed limit on an interstate in California with a bunch of people that think that wherever they need to be is more important than where you need to be. :-D

So, how did that phone call go exactly? "Uh yeah, I wanted to break the law even further in your car but it stopped at 80?"

But seriously, No issues from me at even capping the new cars with cameras at the speed limit. Tesla owns the car and lets you use it as a courtesy (as they should with costly cars).

I have an early VIN S85 which means w. He told me to come back and they'd shut it off. Living in LA, I think he understood my pain.

I have yet to see a 75mph speed limit in California. Maybe up north? I have done the drive to Vegas on the 15 several times, but I don't remember 75mph zones in CA. I might just have missed it tho. Always felt perfectly safe going 72ish on that route which is what I always travel. There are truck lanes along a lot of that route making passing easier.

Just not sure why an 80mph speed limiter is dangerous. Maybe in Texas where there are actual 85mph speed limits. Maybe they limit those loaners to 95 there.

Last edited:
Hasn't it always been like that? :p

XzdMa1D.jpg

Personally, I think it is a very good idea. There are a lot of selfish people that love to abuse things that are not theirs. "oh it's a rental" mentality. Considering that we can be driving a "loaner" worth upwards of 100K and well over, as I have every time I have gotten one, it is in their best interest to do this.

I support it fully and would actually drop the max speed to the regional max limit. I can drive balls out in my own car at my own risk. Which, of course, I do.

I commute on some major highways around NYC and even though the speed limit is 65 MPH, during commuting times I'll bet the average is 75 MPH. Not mine, just everyone. A little goose that hits in the low 80's may not be unheard of. I'm not trying to race anyone with my loaner. But going 65 at those times, I'd be in the right lane, the slowest car on the road pissing people off.

I would have been ok if it was limited, as long as I knew it leaving the SC.

And I totally understand the "hey it's not mine" mentality. But I seem to take care of these loaners. I've done some detailing on some. With paint issues that I buffed out or leather cleaner to rejuvenate the light colored seats that have taken a beating. :) They noted damage on my last loaner in 4 places on the body (just scuffs) which some elbow grease, some product and a little time fixed. They noticed when I brought it back.

Reactions: AlanSqB
I commute on some major highways around NYC and even though the speed limit is 65 MPH, during commuting times I'll bet the average is 75 MPH. Not mine, just everyone. A little goose that hits in the low 80's may not be unheard of. I'm not trying to race anyone with my loaner. But going 65 at those times, I'd be in the right lane, the slowest car on the road pissing people off.

I would have been ok if it was limited, as long as I knew it leaving the SC.

And I totally understand the "hey it's not mine" mentality. But I seem to take care of these loaners. I've done some detailing on some. With paint issues that I buffed out or leather cleaner to rejuvenate the light colored seats that have taken a beating. :) They noted damage on my last loaner in 4 places on the body (just scuffs) which some elbow grease, some product and a little time fixed. They noticed when I brought it back.

This is basically where I'm coming from. I can't think of a situation in which an 80mph speed limiter will benefit either me or Tesla or result in a safer experience for anyone.

As far as abusing the cars, I drive my personal car hard but I don't abuse it. I'm not turning off traction control and roasting the tires but I am going full throttle regularly, the same as I would do in my own car. Either way though, speed in and of itself isn't abuse. The only downside to doing 100mph versus 80mph in terms of wear on the vehicle would be a higher battery cycle count on the car that's regularly going faster. But you could accomplish that same "abuse" by simply accelerating hard.

Not to mention, how many loaners from any company have you received with a speed limiter on them? I've never received one.

Tesla accidentally set my loaner in valet mode, the top speed for valet mode is 70 mph, I didn't realize after I entered into the HOV lane and blocked all the cars behind me until the next HOV exit.
I was hoping they can unlock my valet mode over the car, but they couldn't. I had to drive in valet mode for the entire weekend.

I just got my first loaner today for service. I have to say two things- firstly, the loaner is a 1/13 built P85... I have a 3/15 built 85, the difference in construction quality and appearance is amazing... it's almost like two different cars. Second, They did make me sign an agreement that the car is limited to 80mph with a red stamp that shows "80mph" inside a red circle/slash.

This really doesn't bother me, I mean the only places where we have 75mph limits isn't anywhere I'm going while the car is being serviced. It might bum me out if I were in Texas with 80 and 85mph limits.