Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited to 12 Amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just got my model 3 and bought the wall unit from Tesla to charge it. My cousin is an electrician and was out my way today and he installed it while I was at work. I got home today and plugged in and even though I changed the setting in the car to 48 amps when I plug in it is automatically changing it back to 12 Amps and is charging at 9 miles per hour. He used a 60 Amp breaker and number 6 wire I believe he said. He doesn’t live to close so I was hoping somebody has some experience with this and could give me some ideas so he doesn’t have to drive all the way back out if it is something simple.

I don't have a Wall Connector, but I read the most common mistake is that there is a dial inside the Wall Connection that lets you select the charging current. Change that dial to 48 amps from the default setting (probably 12?). I would turn off the breaker first before you do it or call your cousin back. :p

See Page 22 of the installation manual:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default..._connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf?

Last edited:
As the previous poster said, this is almost definitely just an incorrect setting in the Wall Connector. The Wall Connector has no way of knowing the size of the breaker, so you need to tell it. It defaults to 15A (of which it can use 80% of, or 12A). I had this happen to me as well. Look up the correct setting in the manual for 60A, and you should see your car charging at 48A. It is easy to change, but you need to have a security torx set in order to open the Wall Connnector.

They are correct. You can open it up and change the dial. The Torx security bit comes with the wall charger. If you don't have a Torx security bit (they are not expensive) or cannot find yours, you can try this with an appropriate sized screwdriver... I tried it before I realized the Wall Connector came with the bit, and the screws were almost too tight for this to work.

I am amazed by the number of electricians who have apparently done all the steps of running the correct size wire and installing the correct circuit breaker but don't set the HPWC for the current it is supposed to draw. I mean, it's not like the current that the car will be allowed to draw was never mentioned or considered. It just seems strange to me.

I don't have a Wall Connector, but I read the most common mistake is that there is a dial inside the Wall Connection that lets you select the charging current. Change that dial to 48 amps from the default setting (probably 12?). I would turn off the breaker first before you do it or call your cousin back. :p

See Page 22 of the installation manual:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default..._connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf?

^-- What they said. We see this mistake all the time on the forum. Turn off breaker. Find the right torx and security torx bits. Remove cover from Wall Connector. Turn rotary dial to correct setting for 60a breaker 48a continuous draw. Replace covers. Turn on breaker. Enjoy!

As the previous poster said, this is almost definitely just an incorrect setting in the Wall Connector. The Wall Connector has no way of knowing the size of the breaker, so you need to tell it. It defaults to 15A (of which it can use 80% of, or 12A). I had this happen to me as well. Look up the correct setting in the manual for 60A, and you should see your car charging at 48A. It is easy to change, but you need to have a security torx set in order to open the Wall Connnector.

^-- What they said.

I am amazed by the number of electricians who have apparently done all the steps of running the correct size wire and installing the correct circuit breaker but don't set the HPWC for the current it is supposed to draw. I mean, it's not like the current that the car will be allowed to draw was never mentioned or considered. It just seems strange to me.

What can I say... Most people don't read the manual. Or they just forget / get distracted right at the end. Most things that electricians install don't requires settings like that, or if they do require them, the work is done by others (the electricians are generally the "wire and conduit" guys).

What can I say... Most people don't read the manual. Or they just forget / get distracted right at the end. Most things that electricians install don't requires settings like that, or if they do require them, the work is done by others (the electricians are generally the "wire and conduit" guys).

That's a fair point. I guess it's good to know where things typically get missed before I call anyone out to install anything.