Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light vegetation scratches on near side

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

I’ve a few light scratches through the clear coat from country lanes on my blue M3.

They’re annoying, but only noticeable if you clean it (solution: leave it dirty!).

Is T-cut/Autoglym the way to go - or Revive/Chipsaway? I could only find threads on the latter (and how Chipsaway didn’t like Teslas in some people’s experience).

I’ve just bought a Chipex kit for a chip I saw last week if relevant (if the finishing solution therein might be useful/the best advice is get the lot done by Chipsaway)

Thanks/apologies if I’ve missed a thread - thought they’d be one on T-cut etc.

If it's only light scratches then it should polish out.

I've just invested in some Maguiars Ultimate Compound and cutting pad for use with a random orbital sander/polisher which is working wonders on my 9 year old car's paint work. You can apply by hand also.

Chipex itself won't do anything with light scratches (although they include a polishing compound in a very small quantity also I think which could be used I guess).

Are these scratches through the clearcoat or not? It would be unlikely to be called a light scratch if it was. If you wet the area do the scratches disappear, then its not through the clearcoat.

If it's just clearcoat damage then I would be happy to have a go myself with some polishing compound then polish. If its through I would get it to a bodyshop for a respray.

My car is covered in them :( even the slightest brush seems to leave little scratches all down the side of the car. They do easily polish out, but as the paint is so thin I'm fairly sure I'd just burn through the clear coat if I did it too often.
It's mainly the wing bumper and wing mirror, so I've considered getting them wrapped, or possibly getting a bit more clear coat added to allow me to occasionally buff them out. If you got them as a one off go ahead and buff them out, if you live in an area where this will keep happening, I'd either put up with them or look for a different solution.

Reactions: nufan
Thanks all once more. Admission: I’ve never polished a car. However - I noticed in my Chipex kit there was some polish - so gave it a go and the scratches are 60-70% gone. It even got rid of some bird poo residue mark left after cleaning on the bonnet. I’ll await the G3 to do the entire wing area a bit more thoroughly/get a scratch that’s a bit more persistent - but thanks for pointing me the right way all.

PPF, Paint Protection Film is a godsend. The firm applying it will correct the paint before the film. Some insurances are allergic to it, be sure to call it protection film and not a boy racr dayglo orange wrap ;-)