Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lexus LS460 19" Rims on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to figure out what I'm missing. I have a set of 5-spoke OEM Lexus LS460 19" rims with new Primacy MX4 tires. According to spec, they are a 5x120 bolt pattern. Low and behold, it looks like the Tesla OEM rims are 19" on my S90D and come with a 5x120 bolt pattern. Any reason the Lexus rims wouldn't work on the Model S?

I would only install wheels that meet the specs of my car. I do have a spare tire/wheel that comes with a spacer for the rear axle to clear when the spare is mounted on the rear to clear the caliper. I would not use a spacer or grind down the wheel to match the offset as a permanent fix on my car, but would use a spacer for temporary use. YMMV.

The wheel center bore of the Lexus wheels is smaller than the size needed for a direct mount to the Model S hub. You could either have the wheels machined to fit, or you could purchase hubcentric adapters, but either of those options add considerable expense. If the point of doing this is economy, then you might rather prefer finding used model S/X wheels.

Hub-centering rings are fine to use… BUT only to reduce the center bore size.
This is true, but it isn't what I was saying/suggesting. I said adapters, not rings. These could either be custom hubcentric wheel adapters or custom hubcentric wheel spacers. They would maintain the bolt pattern, but step down the center bore size to the appropriate wheel side spec for the Lexus wheel.
I would never bore out wheels to fit an application they were never meant to fit.
Well, this is a common practice. It would be costly, but it would avoid the cost of adapters/spacers for the fitment and allow for no additional parts between the wheel and hub. I didn't see a question about advisability, just whether or not it was possible. The responses up until mine seemed to be missing the (likely important) info that the Lexus wheels are not, dimensional specs advisability aside, a bolt-on fitment. As far as advisability, I went as far as to say that it's not an economical path, and I'd ask further questions before advising proceeding with using the Lexus wheels, if this was a cost-not-important idea being explored.

Appreciate all your replies. Vanity is the only motivation here, but only if it's a direct swap. I already have 3 sets of model s rims/tires.

Thank you for helping me work through the logistics here.

If you have them, just take a wheel off and see if it fits. If you can spin it freely without the wheel touching the caliper, knuckle, or fender, you're good to go.

I would also say that there is zero issue using spacers, especially something as small as 5 mm. Many folks on here use 20mm spacers permanently with no issues, I use 3mm spacers on the rear and 8 mm spacers on the front 100% of the time and again, no issues. As long as they're hubcentric you're good.

Reactions: supratachophobia