Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lectron 20 ft extension.....anyone have it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,
I picked up a gen 2 Tesla mobile connector but since i'm in a condo i'm in need of a little more distance to my spot.
I found the Lectron 20' extension cord that has the NACS to NACS connector which is nice... has anyone run this or had any issues?

Thanks in advance!
-Mike

I'll open by stating the obvious: Tesla doesn't condone the use of extension cables of any kind (with good reason... fire, BAD!) so all of this is taken at your own risk.

Depending on what gauge the wire is inside of that extension you may need to decrease the amperage draw to run over that length. I'd monitor it closely and if the car starts decreasing the amperage then you know the line isn't capable of supporting the typical maximum of that circuit, minus the extension.

Reactions: TypeX
I have one and it works fine. I rarely use it, just a couple of times a year when visiting family. Plug the mobile charger into a dryer outlet and extend the cable to the car from that. So I only use it to charge at 24 amps and it has not reduced the charging rate.

The cable is thick and heavy, thicker than the cord on the mobile connector. It seems well made, but again I only use it a little.

One complaint is the "button" on the end of the Lectron cable that plugs into the car does not open the charge port. No big deal, but just so you know.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and TypeX
I have one and it works fine. I rarely use it, just a couple of times a year when visiting family. Plug the mobile charger into a dryer outlet and extend the cable to the car from that. So I only use it to charge at 24 amps and it has not reduced the charging rate.

The cable is thick and heavy, thicker than the cord on the mobile connector. It seems well made, but again I only use it a little.

One complaint is the "button" on the end of the Lectron cable that plugs into the car does not open the charge port. No big deal, but just so you know.
Probably a good time to remind people that pressing on the front edge of the door firmly will trigger it to open if you don't want to use the app or screen inside of the car. I find this to be the most convenient when the button the connector doesn't work.

It sounds like whomever manufactured this extender factored in for the added resistance over the longer length of the run and up-sized the wire. As you're probably aware, resistance becomes an issue so larger diameter wire on that extension portion will help. Still a good idea to keep an eye on things to make sure there's no additional heat due to any added resistance.

I'm sure there's different extensions so for anyone reading this in the future, revert back to my original post before you attempt to use it and make sure you understand the specifics of the extension device you have as not all are created equal. Wire thickness (aka gauge) used for the connector will be an important factor so have a firm understanding of this before you go against Tesla's specific instructions to not use any sort of extension cables.

If you damage anything, you likely will assume the cost of repair as you'll likely be voiding your warranty of any coverage for said damage that resulted in using an extension.

Reactions: TypeX
If you damage anything, you likely will assume the cost of repair as you'll likely be voiding your warranty of any coverage for said damage that resulted in using an extension.
But realistically, how would Tesla know? Sounds like the old Moss-Magnuson argument would come into play (Tesla would need to prove the "mod" caused the damage).

But realistically, how would Tesla know? Sounds like the old Moss-Magnuson argument would come into play (Tesla would need to prove the "mod" caused the damage).
That's why I worded the way that I did. In this specific case, about the only "failure" that could occur from this "modification" would be from a faulty breaker that didn't trip. The end result could be a structure fire that could potentially involve investigations, lawsuits, etc.

The purpose of that part of my post is so people understand that adding an extension cord to an EV isn't like using an extension cord on an alarm clock. Bad things can result if you don't understand what you're doing & you'd be amazed by how many people who read these posts won't have any idea of the potential dangers.

That's why I worded the way that I did. In this specific case, about the only "failure" that could occur from this "modification" would be from a faulty breaker that didn't trip. The end result could be a structure fire that could potentially involve investigations, lawsuits, etc.

The purpose of that part of my post is so people understand that adding an extension cord to an EV isn't like using an extension cord on an alarm clock. Bad things can result if you don't understand what you're doing & you'd be amazed by how many people who read these posts won't have any idea of the potential dangers.
Yes, I would expect the only possible damage would be life/property from a house fire, but not to the car itself (unless it was consumed in a structure fire).

Extensions, properly sized, are not inherently unsafe. Look at any rv park on a hot day. In fact, the rv extension is likely better sized than what many parks offer in hard wire! With that said, the connectors can be an issue. They are not as “connected” as hard wire and need monitoring. If using a Tesla mobile connector, it will cut flow if it gets too warm where it connects.

For my rv, I spray cleaner in the receptacle then plug in and out a few times to clean up the receptacle. I also run a power monitor, protector, and a boost (autoformer) (many parks have low voltage). At home, the car is plugged into our rv outlet, extension when nosed in.

If you want to or need to use an extension, a pre made should be more than $100, maybe 200 or more, or you are going to regret it. I make my own, but I know what I am doing and how to maintain it. I like to know how the wire connects to the ends… and I have one the perfect length for home.

Reactions: Eric33432