Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch Pad Explosion during Static Test Fire - Sept 1 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.37.52 AM.png

That's really unfortunate. I didn't know they would have actual payload on board for test firings. That seems odd to me, but I'm not a rocket scientist. I can only imagine the feeling if you worked on all that and had it go up in flames.

Hope the problem can be quickly determined. Be a shame to lose the rest of the 2017 launch schedule. Seems possibly related to the first stage booster, a different failure from that experienced with the second stage on CRS-7. At least all of the the pieces should be in the vicinity of the launch pad. One silver lining might be if the failure does center on one or more of the nine Merlin engines, it's better to it fix now, not when there's 27 of them on the pad.

Definitely a setback. They were already under a lot of pressure on schedule. This blows that up. (sorry for the bad pun). Remains to be seen how bad the damage is to the pad, but that might a real big problem. The last stand down was 6 months, this might be longer if the pad is severely damaged. Pad 39A is not ready. My optimistic schedule for that would have been around the end of the year. Now.. who knows. They may have to stop work on it to concentrate on what's going on at SLC40. If the problem is just the pad and not the rocket, they might still be able to fly a few missions from Vandenberg yet this year.