Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Knife pocket clip scratching interior trim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I carry a bench made knife on the front, left side every day. Depending on the clothing of the day it may sit a little more in the front and with jeans and some BDUs it's a little more to the side. In my prior personal vehicle, I never had a problem with the pocket clip rubbing against the interior trim on the lower B-pillar area. But I've noticed with my Model 3 this happens when I enter the vehicle and the knife sits more to the left.

I was thinking that some clear wrap or if I can find a piece of matching black wrap would be a good way to protect that area. After noticing a couple of scratches, I'm being as careful as possible but being tall, the seat is all the way back and so I brush up against that trim every time I enter the vehicle.

Can anyone recommend the best way to resolve this besides moving the knife to a different location. If clear wrap is the right way to go, I am pretty sure I won't find anything made to fit there so I'd be looking at trimming a piece to fit. But what would be the right wrap? 3M 1080 clear or some other brand? Is there something else that would work? And will it leave a lot of sticky residue on the trim?

Any suggestion would help. Thanks so much. Unfortunately after years in my profession, repetition is important and moving that item to a different location is not going to work.

Thanks so much.

I think trying film is a reasonable solution.

Depending on how much damage there is at this point though, I’d consider ordering a replacement piece from your local service center. It shouldn’t be too expensive, and if it’s under $250 it definitely makes sense to me to start fresh.

I think trying film is a reasonable solution.

Depending on how much damage there is at this point though, I’d consider ordering a replacement piece from your local service center. It shouldn’t be too expensive, and if it’s under $250 it definitely makes sense to me to start fresh.

I like this idea but if that's the case, I'd probably buy the trim when it's time to sell the vehicle and not worry too much about scratching up the current one. It's not bad, maybe 3-5 scratches. The thing is, I know it's there and I treat my things as gentle as possible so they last. Though it is tough to get in and remember sometimes to turn more to avoid scratching. When I need to put the duty belt on, then we'll see how things really go. Thats a firm, snug seat. Might get a bit tight.

Are you talking about the pocket clip that rubs? I edc knife on my weak side (left ) as well and never had issue, however I dont use the pocket clip. It just sits in the pocket.

Have you try buying a lower/deep carry pocket clip

Good luck man. I carry (used to be a benchmade but recently switched to a Tactix armory ex folder) daily. Right front pocket.

Pretty much all of my cars have skuffa from this habit.

Only solution I’ve found is dropping it in the pocket when wearing pants that put the clip in a bad spot