Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kinda getting tired of Inside Evs and Electrek

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Swampgator

Apr 27, 2016
Florida
I visit both sites every day, multiple times.
They have good information (mostly).
But some things bother me.

#1 The climate pontification on some of the articles is annoying.
#2 The clickbait articles rehashing forum posts or worse. Like the one up on Inside Evs tonight. It's a render of a "Tesla " roadster?? That was in some stock analysts news letter this week. It is nothing more than a Hyuandai Genesis photo shopped to add a Tesla rear badge and some different taillights.
#3 When you add a comment as such (I did today) both sites simply disappear your comment.

Does anyone want to start a new site that covers this disruptive space without stooping to the above? I would gladly contribute with articles, information, even patreon support.

Just venting some ongoing frustrations.

I don't care for the writing on Electrek, plus Fred came off as pretty self-serving on the Performance pricing issue. He got his $5k but made zero effort to help the P3D- guys get Track Mode. I look at Electrek as more of a mouthpiece than a legit news site.

I have never looked at Inside EVs.
I find most of the Tesla bloggers and YouTube stars to be very self serving. They went from pumping Tesla non-stop to get referrals and then once they felt like they were owed $1k it was all about them. I’ve unfollowed a bunch of them in the last week.

I visit both sites every day, multiple times.
They have good information (mostly).
But some things bother me.

#1 The climate pontification on some of the articles is annoying.
#2 The clickbait articles rehashing forum posts or worse. Like the one up on Inside Evs tonight. It's a render of a "Tesla " roadster?? That was in some stock analysts news letter this week. It is nothing more than a Hyuandai Genesis photo shopped to add a Tesla rear badge and some different taillights.
#3 When you add a comment as such (I did today) both sites simply disappear your comment.

Does anyone want to start a new site that covers this disruptive space without stooping to the above? I would gladly contribute with articles, information, even patreon support.

Just venting some ongoing frustrations.

I love both.

Just filter out any info you don't want.

Reactions: Stirfelt
I know how you feel. I do still occasionally InsideEvs, Electrek and Teslarati. Have been less enamored with Electrek and haven't always felt his articles were entirely fair on certain things. I get these guys sometimes like to stir up the readership but I most go there for the latest news on updates and such so try to filter out some of the opinion pieces.

Reactions: T34ME
I've actually enjoyed Electrek more of late than before.

Before it simply felt like they were buddy buddies with Tesla. Where I saw conflicts of interests due to the Tesla referral program. It was weighted heavily towards "influencers", and media types.

Even before it was over I could sense a change in behavior because of the recklessness in which Tesla was making decision.

To have a $5K drop even before the tax credit halves is pretty substantial, and was a badly timed decision. I did get the $5K refund and I largely have Fred to thank for that. So obviously I'm going to be biased on that one.

I don't know how much stuff Fred can complain on. I'm sure there is a recharge time on whining even when it involves complaining to Musk.

Lately all Electrek has been is an echo of Tesla owner confusion.

It's still going on today with the latest update on the stores saga.

I like that Electrek covers E-Bikes, EV Motorcycles, etc.

What I wished Electrek would do more of is indepth stuff. They tend not to get too down into the weeds.

In any case I'm glad the romance period is over, and Electrek can be a bit more hard hitting.

A little boxing match between Tesla and Electrek would be healthy.

Thank you for your kind comment.

I’ve been on a bit of a vacation but intend to pick up the coverage again starting Monday with a focus on the recent Supercharger 3.0 announcement.
Well... Tuesday. I’m on a winter road trip in the NW US and Canada with my Bolt EV and didn’t quite get the Supercharger article finished before heading off on the road again this morning.