Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keystone Pipeline evaluation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not happy about this and I am an investor in his company and love his style on long-term investing, but he has no idea what he is talking about.

I'd vote 'yes' on Keystone pipeline: Warren Buffett

"I don't believe in the Keystone pipeline because of the jobs you'd make building it. You can build anything and create jobs," he said. "I just believe it's a useful pipeline."

Useful for what? In the future EVs will hopefully dominate and so there will have been no need to dig up the earth, pollute the air, and move it through a pipeline. Buffett needs to stick to his advice, stick with what you know.

where is here? if you mean TX? that nat gas is mostly derived from fracking it out. we import crude oil we export refined products.

I meant USA. Anyway, his voice shouldn't matter in this debate because he is only looking at it from the business side.

Its like 63 or 65% of oil is used for transportation. Besides, if you have a model S, believe in Tesla, or EVs for the future, then you shouldn't want this pipeline either because you understand where the future is headed....

Last edited:
Mr. Buffett acknowledges a pipeline is better than moving crude in his railcars. One thing about Warren, he doesn't take the illogical path. He told his BRK shareholders that the railcars are not the best for Canadian crude.

Gazillion barrels of Heavy oil has been produced smack in the middle of California for a hundred years. Essentially the same steam drive production methods as required in the oil sands of Alberta, CA. For decades the method was to burn crude oil in boilers to make the steam. One barrel burned for two barrels produced. Massive emissions and surface pollution. I think now with natural gas, controls, other protection, there is enough technology to bring to bear to produce this North American resource. Canada can do it right. Regardless, we can all reduce energy consumption with EV and PV and demand side conservation.

I continue to add links like these to show that spills continue to happen and that we can stop this at any time we want by switching to renewables.

Galveston Bay Spill Will Take Economic, Ecological Toll | The Texas Tribune
1964932_10152259809042708_425672271_n.jpg

Another updated:

Friends,
Today’s Keystone XL news from DC is both important and murky. In brief, the Obama administration announced yet another delay in their decision about the pipeline, meaning it may be past the midterm elections before a final call is made.
Three things strike me:

1. In pipeline terms it’s a win. Every day we delay a decision is a day when 830,000 barrels of oil stays safely in the ground. Together we’ve kept them at bay for three years now, and will continue to until perhaps the beginning of next year it seems.
  2. In climate terms, it’s a disappointment. Since the State Department can’t delay floods and droughts and El Ninos, we actually need President Obama providing climate leadership. If he’d just follow the science and reject the stupid pipeline he’d finally send a much-needed signal to the rest of the planet that he’s getting serious.
  3. In movement terms, it’s a sweet reminder that when we stand up we win. Three years ago this pipeline was a done deal, and thanks to you it’s come steadily undone. We can’t match Exxon or the Koch Bros with money; we can and have matched them with passion, spirit, creativity, and sacrifice.
So the Keystone fight goes on -- we hope many of you will be in DC next weekend for Reject and Protect, joining the Cowboy Indian Alliance to say “hell no” to the pipeline.The Alliance members coming to DC next week are some of the strongest leaders in this fight.

The decision to delay was made -- supposedly -- account for the impact of a possible new pipeline route in Nebraska. As it happens, next week Nebraskans and members of US Tribes and Canadian First Nations will be in Washington -- it seems to me that it would be prudent for the President and Sec. Kerry to make plans to meet with the Cowboy Indian Alliance at their encampment and get their story of what this pipeline would mean on the ground.
The climate fight can’t be delayed. We need to keep building the movement, and we need to keep putting heat on leaders like President Obama till we win not delay but action. Today’s DC decision just reinforces the message that if we stand together we will make a decisive difference -- and there is an important opportunity on the horizon to do that in the biggest way yet, to be announced soon.
The last thing to say is thank you. You are the strength in this movement, and together we will make even more amazing things possible.

Forward,

Bill McKibben for 350.org

Keystone Pipeline Backers, Opponents Spar Ahead Of Vote

This makes me so mad that I want to slap them in the face, wake them up, say "WTF are you doing you?", and then throw them out of the building.

Republican senators have prepared a host of amendments to the efficiency bill, including one that would block the Environmental Protection Agency from imposing rules limiting greenhouse gas emissions from coal-fired power plants.

In movement terms, it’s a sweet reminder that when we stand up we win. Three years ago this pipeline was a done deal, and thanks to you it’s come steadily undone. We can’t match Exxon or the Koch Bros with money; we can and have matched them with passion, spirit, creativity, and sacrifice.
So the Keystone fight goes on -- we hope many of you will be in DC next weekend for Reject and Protect, joining the Cowboy Indian Alliance to say “hell no” to the pipeline.The Alliance members coming to DC next week are some of the strongest leaders in this fight.
I wouldn't characterize this as the oil companies vs. "the people" battle. The reason Keystone hasn't been allowed to proceed is that Obama has no reason to use this huge chip he's been sitting on. With the Republicans in Congress committed to doing essentially nothing until 2017, Obama is not going to budge on Keystone. If we were in budget/taxation negotiations right now, you can be 100% assured that Obama would be dangling Keystone with every intention of allowing it as part of a grand bargain to balance the budget and further his agenda(most of which I personally agree with). Sadly, "the people" protesting this project accounts for maybe 10% of the reason why it's not happening. The other 90% is from unrelated political battles.

Hopefully, if gridlock persists long enough we'll have dipped more than our toes into the renewables game by 2018 and there won't be enough pressure/political will to finish Keystone as we move into the Renewables Age.

I think people need to realize that the keystone pipeline ships from Canada and ships all the way to the Texas coast. That is interesting to say the least.

It would be much cheaper to convert preexisting plants closer to the keystone pipeline and decrease transportation and pumping costs.

Why would you ship to to Texas?

There is a reason for it that most people never even thought of: US citizens most likely will not see a drop of that oil; it will most likely be shipped via a barge to another country so that other country can use that oil.

Of course we can not prohibit the sale of that oil to other countries- you want to play havoc with economics, that is one way to do it.