Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

My wife is done with her phone as a key and wants a key fob. Has anyone bothered spending the £170 to get one?

I must admit when you just want to pop out to the car and you need to find your phone it’s annoying!

Hi All,

My wife is done with her phone as a key and wants a key fob. Has anyone bothered spending the £170 to get one?

I must admit when you just want to pop out to the car and you need to find your phone it’s annoying!
Someone sells rings a lot cheaper. Like the key card, you place near door pillar. Safer but no remote opening. Aesthetic tastes vary.

Hi All,

I have one that I don’t use any more. £100 including the rubber/silicone key ring holder. PM me if you’re interested.

Reactions: phattbam
Yeah! Because I keep my key fob with me all the time but I only occasionally use my phone and so it’s harder to find the phone I rarely use compared to key fob I use all the time!

If she doesn’t like phone maybe it’s because she is using it in a way that blocks the signal. I can’t imagine a better way to open and drive the car than the phone as a key. I only use the fob if I need to valet the car and give the valet the fob.

Reactions: phattbam and WllXM
Someone sells rings a lot cheaper. Like the key card, you place near door pillar. Safer but no remote opening. Aesthetic tastes vary.
Or forgo the aesthetics and never lose your key again :D

I have the Tesla keyfob, on my second infact as they aren't entirely waterproof if you fall in the sea (don't ask).

I consider it my backup alongside the phone, I don't carry a wallet anymore but do still need a doorkey so a key seemed the most sensible option.

What do you want to know?

Reactions: Skavatar and Durzel

What's the issue with the phone/ (just curious)

Wife has a fob. Its somewhere in her handbag, which she will always have with her.

Family member uses a fob, shared with partner. When they arrive (whichever of them it was) they put the fob down in the hall, and take it with them when they go (rather than putting in a pocket). Its an ingrained procedure, so I figure they do that at home / wherever they go - perhaps to enable partner to find the key if they need it. I need to ask why they don't use phone - they are young enough to think that only carrying a phone and characterise no backup cards etc. as "what could possibly go wrong"

Reactions: MarkCR
Reading the replies is many of the comments I have made also.

However as she still has her ICE car, it is an ingrained habit to pick up the keys from the cupboard on the way out the door, putting the baby in the car and then coming back for all the stuff that comes with(usually the big bag with her phone in and not in a pocket).

I know many people are glued to their phones and wouldn’t see why using anything but your phone as a key (I’m one of them). However there are times where it would just be easier to walk to the door grab a key in the way and unlock the car…

Key fob is really handy for stopping charges, unlocking (and opening) the charge port without pulling out your phone in the rain or talking to Siri or whatever. it is I'll admit a pretty decadent solution to that problem though.

Will also open the bonnet without said phone or the intolerable burden of opening a car door and leaning in to press on a screen.

Reactions: GSP
Reading the replies is many of the comments I have made also.

However as she still has her ICE car, it is an ingrained habit to pick up the keys from the cupboard on the way out the door, putting the baby in the car and then coming back for all the stuff that comes with(usually the big bag with her phone in and not in a pocket).

I know many people are glued to their phones and wouldn’t see why using anything but your phone as a key (I’m one of them). However there are times where it would just be easier to walk to the door grab a key in the way and unlock the car…
Isn't it as easy to pick up a keycard? ... certainly cheaper!

I'm having security issues using a Phone Key and a new MY LR.

My Mrs had her Samsung S21U on the wireless charger by the bedside, and as I'd parked on that side of the house, so adjacent but below the bedroom, I was a bit shocked that I could go out, unlock the car! that's approx 4M with a cavity wall inbetween! (My phone was in the back of the house, so definitely not that one!), but considering her phone was stationary, charging and it still was close enough seems a bit scary..

My question would be, does the key fob also have quite a range? or is it UWB and only works when right next to the car?