Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just panic ordered a MYAWD. Change it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
I heard about the price cap increase for Model Y and immediately ordered an existing inventory MYAWD which has a delivery date of Feb 18th at the earliest. The config on the car is perfect… Black Black 20” Tow. But… the one part that isn’t perfect is the range for me. I will be using this primarily for business travel, often times commuting 100 miles one way. 269 miles just doesn’t feel good for me with real world factors plus only 90 percent charge. However, The Tesla rep told me that these batteries safely charge to 100%. Is this true? Has anyone read this anywhere because I haven’t found it…

Also, anyone have an opinion on whether I should change my order to a LR custom order? It does not appear any existing inventory will be LR at this point… so take the risk on delivery date and change?

Thanks everyone

Check if where you’re commuting to has option to charge while you’re there?

As for the batteries, they technically can “safely“ charge to 100%, it’s just only LFP type are currently known to not increase degradation as much by it. These are not LFP batteries as far as I know.

An LR is a $4k price hike (if you keep same options) for 50 miles of range and 0.2 seconds faster 0-60 mph. Is that worth it to you?

They are not LFP batteries. So it's not recommended to charge to 100% on a regular basis. Doing so will cause premature degradation. If your commute is 200 miles round trip your pushing the limits.

You shouldn't charge to 100% or discharge below 20% on a regular basis.

Assuming 90% charge and a target not below 20% your looking at 188 miles. That is not accounting for other factors that will reduce range such as high speed highway driving.

Even with the LR a 200 mile round trip commute will be a challenge. Assuming same as above your looking at 220 best case.

You should plan on charging when you do this commute. If your only doing it once a week or less not a big deal but if your doing it 5 or more days per week could be a challenge.

Hi everyone,
I heard about the price cap increase for Model Y and immediately ordered an existing inventory MYAWD which has a delivery date of Feb 18th at the earliest. The config on the car is perfect… Black Black 20” Tow. But… the one part that isn’t perfect is the range for me. I will be using this primarily for business travel, often times commuting 100 miles one way. 269 miles just doesn’t feel good for me with real world factors plus only 90 percent charge. However, The Tesla rep told me that these batteries safely charge to 100%. Is this true? Has anyone read this anywhere because I haven’t found it…

Also, anyone have an opinion on whether I should change my order to a LR custom order? It does not appear any existing inventory will be LR at this point… so take the risk on delivery date and change?

Thanks everyone
I have the long range with 19s ("330" miles range) and I can safely count on 160-175 in winter and 200 in summer going from 100% to 5% SOC.

Better to go between 20% and 80-90% for battery health.

I'd be very nervous about 269 if you have a 100 mile one way commute. You won't make it home even at 100% without charging.

Hmm. Thank you for all of the replies.
I’ll be commuting mainly in NJ. Superchargers everywhere. I’m not crazy about the idea of stopping all the time or any kind of range anxiety. It’s all highway driving. I guess I have some thinking to do. I’m worried that theoretically 269 miles sounds great but realistically it’s not so simple.

Use A Better Route Planner (ABRP) to plan out your trip. ABRP is available on the web and for your phone. No need to charge to 100% since you can readily find Supercharger locations along the east coast. Most SC charging sessions are ~25 minutes or less. This is enough time to get a drink, etc and then before you know it your Tesla vehicle will have charged from ~20% to ~80%. Then it is time to continue your trip as the charging kW rate drops and charging slows when you charge over 80%. Two short Supercharger charging stops can be faster than one longer Supercharger charging session.

Last edited:
Reactions: bruce4000
I’ll be commuting mainly in NJ. Superchargers everywhere. I’m not crazy about the idea of stopping all the time or any kind of range anxiety. It’s all highway driving. I guess I have some thinking to do. I’m worried that theoretically 269 miles sounds great but realistically it’s not so simple.

Yeah, keep in mind most people rarely charge to 100%, and within the first 2 years you can expect probably 5-10% degradation. So that 269 miles quickly goes down.

...Tesla rep told me that these batteries safely charge to 100%...
The priority of these salespeople is to sell you car no matter how they did it. I would take their words with cautions.

New Short range Model 3 has LFP battery so it is true that the manual instructs to charge 100% at least once a week.

Yours is Model Y so that part is not true.

My philosophy is: Range is King. Get the longest range that you can.

It's true that people can do with shorter range but it's not convenient.

When buying, people tend to think of best scenarios but not the worst like bad weather, high consumption in speeding, degradation...

Reactions: WyoDude and jcanoe
You can charge to 100%, as long as you start driving right away, without much impact on battery degradation. A high state of charge is bad only when the car stays on it for a long time.
If you drive conservatively, i.e. at around 60-65 mph, you can get more than EPA miles. When it’s cold though, I wouldn’t bank on it.
Honestly your commute sounds like what the Model Y LR is built for.

Reactions: bruce4000
I pulled the trigger and purchased a 4680 MY that popped up in inventory. I have a sneaking suspicion that the range (and charging rate) is currently software limited until Tesla can accumulate enough real-world data to unlock more of the battery's potential. Besides, I can live with the 269-mile range because I have the world's smallest bladders. One thing that is popping up is that due to the different type of construction, the 4680 Y is a much more rigid automobile platform with a noticeable increase in torsion rigidity - probably because the battery pack is now part of the chassis and the different front and rear end castings.

I pulled the trigger and purchased a 4680 MY that popped up in inventory. I have a sneaking suspicion that the range (and charging rate) is currently software limited until Tesla can accumulate enough real-world data to unlock more of the battery's potential. Besides, I can live with the 269-mile range because I have the world's smallest bladders. One thing that is popping up is that due to the different type of construction, the 4680 Y is a much more rigid automobile platform with a noticeable increase in torsion rigidity - probably because the battery pack is now part of the chassis and the different front and rear end castings.

Do you think the structural battery pack will make it more difficult, or even impossible, to change the battery pack in the future?

Just hit a supercharger for five or ten minutes if you need it to finish your commute. They’re everywhere in New Jersey and it shouldn’t be much of an inconvenience. The biggest contributors to degradation are sitting at extreme states of charge. If you’re driving in the middle, you’ll be fine.

Reactions: cwerdna
In my experience, you can never have too much range. So if you can afford it, get the bigger battery.

And if you are regularly round-tripping 200 miles at highway speeds in colder temperatures (like NJ in the winter), you will definitely want the bigger battery if you want to minimize stops.

All that said - a quick 5 minute stop at a Supercharger when below 50% SOC (10-20% ideally to start Supercharging) will likely get you enough range to continue on your way without worry.

Reactions: howardnj
I pulled the trigger and purchased a 4680 MY that popped up in inventory. I have a sneaking suspicion that the range (and charging rate) is currently software limited until Tesla can accumulate enough real-world data to unlock more of the battery's potential.
People have made that assumption in the past and they've later changed that.

The main reason is after a teardown by Sandy Munro.

As you say, the battery is "limited" as they collect data, but PHYSICALLY limited, not in software. It's not as filled out as a 2170 pack would be.

Do you think the structural battery pack will make it more difficult, or even impossible, to change the battery pack in the future?
Maybe not?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Thank you all again for yo her replies.
Just hit a supercharger for five or ten minutes if you need it to finish your commute. They’re everywhere in New Jersey and it shouldn’t be much of an inconvenience. The biggest contributors to degradation are sitting at extreme states of charge. If you’re driving in the middle, you’ll be fine.
You got me thinking a bit on this… started reading a lot more about real world mileage and coming to see that no matter what mileage is dependent on so many factors. I’ve seen people saying on cold weather with highway they’re getting 150 miles even on MYLR.

I did check the longest one way I have is 80 miles but that assumes I won’t need to go anywhere else.

So…. Let me ask it this way.

Would it be safe to say that no matter what, on a 160 mile round trip or so, even if I got the MYLR to give me the 50 or so extra range, it would be very likely that I would have to make a stop to stay in the “safe charge” zone so regardless I would have to make one stop anyways? Need some real Tesla owners opinion here. If the answer to that is yes then I’ll keep the reservation. If not, I’ll give this some more thought.

You all are great thank you.