Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got new update: 2017.42 a88c8d5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time I sat through an update. Wild! All sort of clicks, humming, fans spinning up (the APE fans are LOUD at full blast) and power cycles. Also I swear I hear a HDD spinning. I can’t imagine Tesla isn’t solely using SSDs, but unless my ears are deceiving me...

Also there should be an Easter egg that happens during the install for those that sit through it! ;)

First update for me too! I thought it was wild all the AC turning on and off and etc haha.

Darn... getting tired of all of you here bragging about the update. Can someone just send it to me from their car? My Tesla's IP is 127.0.0.1. Thanks! ;)
That IP is something that will get self assigned if the device is not able to grab an IP from another source (i.e your home router or Tesla LTE) You may want to check your home connections to make sure you are on wifi and your home router is distributing IP's.

That IP is something that will get self assigned if the device is not able to grab an IP from another source (i.e your home router or Tesla LTE) You may want to check your home connections to make sure you are on wifi and your home router is distributing IP's.

I think you missed the joke in there. Also, to be pedantic, 127.0.0.1 (usually known as localhost) is a loopback address (actually all of 127.0.0.0/8 are reserved to loopback behavior) and isn't really "assigned." However, 169.254.0.0/16 addresses are reserved to be assigned as "link local" addresses, typically assigned when DHCP has failed. ;)

Today my air suspension errored out while accelerating onto the highway ("Air Suspension Needs Service Contact Tesla Service"). Just called tech support after service center was useless and the agent insinuated that there are several complaints ("concerns") in the system. He wouldn't confirm whether they are all from 2017.42, but he sure implied that. He said I could drive with no issue and that he hoped software would be pushed to my car to fix the issue.

Sharing in case someone else with .42 has the same problem. Hopefully it's software.

• Informative
Reactions: OnBass
With that comment from @ILLCOMM, I'm wondering if my issue came from 17.42 now... 17.42 was supposed to fix my original bricked disaster from recurring, and now in the middle of another one, partially:

Made several trips today, and when starting up after the last one, Steering Assist failed. Following the approach Customer Service had me try last time, I rebooted both screens (nada), and then turned power off for several minutes. I then couldn't restart using the brake pedal. Eek! While on hold with Roadside, I had the idea to use an app to do a remote start, and that woke her up, and everything was fine. WTF....

So, hung up, drove home with no issues at all, called again, discussed this, and was put into the diagnostic queue, and put in for a callback, where I still am (waiting for one). (Calling Roadside or trying to get to Diags on a Saturday is our own Production Hell, it seems...)

It's possible something is too sensitive, and is throwing alerts that are false-positive (on SAS and Power Steering) in 17.42.

@ILLCOMM, did they have you try power shutdown from the Settings screen, wait three minutes, and start it up again?

• Informative
Reactions: cantbechanged
Damn I haven't gotten an update for a long time. I guess my wifi is too weak in the garage? I even did the two button reset.
You might try turning off wifi, seriously, and seeing if LTE works better. A weak wifi may be worse than a good LTE (assuming that it is one...). How many 'bars/circles (as it were)' is your wifi strength meter?

Reactions: Prefect
You might try turning off wifi, seriously, and seeing if LTE works better. A weak wifi may be worse than a good LTE (assuming that it is one...). How many 'bars/circles (as it were)' is your wifi strength meter?

I've had update issues in the past. I eventually (after weeks+) called my service center and asked about it. They tried to push an update remotely (no joy); I eventually had to take the car into the shop. Since then, however, updates have been normal.

You can, of course, always try driving to a service center and seeing if it will get pushed the latest update. If that doesn't happen, you should probably talk to a tech.

I've had update issues in the past. I eventually (after weeks+) called my service center and asked about it. They tried to push an update remotely (no joy); I eventually had to take the car into the shop. Since then, however, updates have been normal.

You can, of course, always try driving to a service center and seeing if it will get pushed the latest update. If that doesn't happen, you should probably talk to a tech.
Just being at a SC won't do anything any more, you need a work order to enable the wifi to get an update. 'Being on the special wifi' automatically ended a while back.

• Informative
Reactions: riemannh
With that comment from @ILLCOMM, I'm wondering if my issue came from 17.42 now... 17.42 was supposed to fix my original bricked disaster from recurring, and now in the middle of another one, partially:

Made several trips today, and when starting up after the last one, Steering Assist failed. Following the approach Customer Service had me try last time, I rebooted both screens (nada), and then turned power off for several minutes. I then couldn't restart using the brake pedal. Eek! While on hold with Roadside, I had the idea to use an app to do a remote start, and that woke her up, and everything was fine. WTF....

So, hung up, drove home with no issues at all, called again, discussed this, and was put into the diagnostic queue, and put in for a callback, where I still am (waiting for one). (Calling Roadside or trying to get to Diags on a Saturday is our own Production Hell, it seems...)

It's possible something is too sensitive, and is throwing alerts that are false-positive (on SAS and Power Steering) in 17.42.

@ILLCOMM, did they have you try power shutdown from the Settings screen, wait three minutes, and start it up again?

OCFO.... I cannot believe this is potentially causing another issue. This is beyond ridiculous. If my X bricks anytime this week I am starting the lemon process in NJ without question. Same for my S. These are already by far the least reliable cars I have every owned in 30 years of buying new cars, and 15 new cars during that time. I have not even had a used car in the last 30 years that has been less reliable than either my X or my S. Tesla has some nerve complaining about Consumer Reports projecting Average reliability for the Model 3, they should have thanked them for potentially overrating it.

Thanks, it was meant to be a joke as other people noted. No worries, an old IT fart here :)

How’s the auto pilot?
Interesting, but so far on TeslaFi, 17 cars (including mine) got the update, and they are all AP2 or AP2.5 hardware. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you if EAP is improved as I choose not to purchase it yet. However, even though it's not enabled, I do get to see how the car tracks to the lines, so I can still get an idea of whether it still jerks around in certain conditions. But I'll let the folks who really have EAP chime in on whether there are any improvements....

Reactions: oktane