Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got a new software update notification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why don't they just give us the option to select always lock charger or not in the software? Easy fix to keep everyone happy.
The Bolt can be unplugged but it sets off the car alarm.

Probably optional alarm on the Bolt. My 2013 Volt has an alarm setting.

Both the bolt and volt have the option to set an alarm on connector unplug or power interruption. But its best practice to disable these (at least to me) since once your car is done charging, if you aren't there to unplug it I have no issue if someone takes the plug. The charging indicator on the dash tells you if someone is full or not.

If it wasn't for the j1772 adaptor theft potential I would also prefer the Tesla charge port to be left unplugged because if I'm opportunity charging and someone rolls in on their last electrons I would be ok with them taking the charger from me. I know some people are sensitve about others 'touching' their car, but I think I've only been unplugged while charging twice in 5 years of EV ownership, so at least in my area is isn't a 'thing' yet.

I've also noticed that the charge port door is very eager to close. Normally I park at work, open my trunk and charge door from the MCU, get out, plug in and grab my bag from the trunk. Today, twice I got out of the car after opening the charge port from the MCU and it closed itself within a few seconds of me exiting the car.

Some of you guys seem to be making mountains out of mole hills. The cold weather update is very minor. It's a slight change in window position in freezing temperatures. The charge port latch is just to make it easier to pull out and not get stuck or damage the latch. Are you really that paranoid that someone is going steal your adapter or unplug your car when its not charging. They are probably just as likely to yank on it and break the latch, I'll take an unplugged car to a broken latch any day.

P.S. Every car with frameless windows has the same issue in cold weather.

Last edited:
Reactions: akidesir
Ok so I hit the charger handle button and the Tesla’s icon is now red.

And... I can’t remove the charging cable. Tried restarting, setting the limit lower, “unlocking the charge port” and nothing.

This update sucks. On the line waiting with tesla roadside. I’m guessing I’m not the only one.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Ok so I hit the charger handle button and the Tesla’s icon is now red.

And... I can’t remove the charging cable. Tried restarting, setting the limit lower, “unlocking the charge port” and nothing.

This update sucks. On the line waiting with tesla roadside. I’m guessing I’m not the only one.

Did you try manual release cord in the trunk. I had to do it twice. There's YouTube videos.