Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jay Leno Green Race track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also like how the safety devices are falling by the wayside under the show's live format. Bob Costas could not get the five point harness on and the next guy blew it off. Rush then could not bend over to get his helmet on. What's next?

I also like how the safety devices are falling by the wayside under the show's live format. Bob Costas could not get the five point harness on and the next guy blew it off. Rush then could not bend over to get his helmet on. What's next?

I don't think Rush wanted to deal with the helmet because of his cochlear implant. The 5 point harness is total overkill for that track.

Transcript of Rush's appearance in Jay's show
LENO: Hey, hey. Here he comes, here he comes. Okay, the streamers. Ed Begley is going to jump out in front of him. You're not doing your score any help, Rush. Uh-oh, he's hitting it again. Oh! Come on! Oh, come on. Okay. Here we go. Let's see. Coming down --

RUSH: Nobody would believe this car is electric.

LENO: Let's see. All right, now. Hang on. Hop out. Let's see how you did.

RUSH: What a blast!

LENO: Now, first of all, do you like the electric car?

RUSH: I like the electric car!

LENO: Yes!

RUSH: I like the electric car.

LENO: He likes the electric car. Now, your time is -- you committed manslaughter. That adds about 45 minutes to your time. One minute, one, two, six, on seven --
Selected Transcript from Rush's next day radio on his appearance

But the most favorable aspect, the most commented upon aspect of my Leno appearance was when I ran over Algore, stopped, put it in reverse, and ran over him again. And when that happened, I wasn't saying a thing. (laughing) So there are all kinds of lessons to take. Leno was great. The staff was great. I got there two hours before, and you have to because of insurance, you have to for rehearsal in the electric car around the track, but they didn't tell me all the stuff that was going to happen, so, you know, here comes that pop up of Gore, and I thought, I'm just going to stop and go over it again, I don't care about setting a record here. In fact, my thought was I want to have the slowest time possible because I'm driving an electric car. And, you know, before I get in the car Leno says, "You can help save the environment." No, you will not save the environment driving one of these things. But they were great at the show, and it was a lot of fun.

No, I'm not going to buy an electric car. I did like it. It was fun to drive. The pickup is not quite what you would expect and when you change gears it takes a while, like a second-and-a-half for the gear engage. If you go into reverse, and then put it back into drive you have to wait a second-and-a-half before it actually clicks in and happens. But no big deal. Yeah, I liked it. I got to run over Algore twice in one! What's not to like about it? But also, how about the audience reaction? In fact, grab Jay Leno sound bite number one. This is the introduction and listen to the audience reaction.

Last edited:
Changing electric car's image one celeb at a time

The British car show Top Gear is one of my favourite shows. I had a lot of fun appearing on it this summer. Like every guest, I had to compete as the Star in the Reasonably Priced Car. That means trying to lap a track round an old airfield as fast as you can.

For my new show, modestly called The Jay Leno Show, we have what is a bit of an homage to Top Gear. It is called the Green Car Challenge...

In a later episode Jay explained they were adding 3 seconds to Drew's time since she didn't really follow the course. For example, she drove straight through the chicane without making the proper turns. If they hadn't have done that, then everyone would just cheat and it would continue to be the joke it started out to be.

It's actually gotten a bit better as they've ditched the unnecessary safety gear and gotten more competitive folks behind the wheel. Still wish they had a better track, though.

Last edited:
They should have added in the penalty at the time, not several weeks later. One more reminder that this is a TV show, not a real race track. Although I'd be hard-pressed to find a race track quite like this. It's kinda akin to mini golf vs the PGA Tour.:tongue:

They added the three seconds on her time the very next time they were on the track.

Interesting they are breaking records almost every day in a row (hitting obstacles being the only variable).

Gotta hand it to Rush. He's getting great attention from his purposefully bad run.