Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like I have LTE enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we're on predictons now, I posit that Tesla's upgrade kit will cost way too much money for what it is, but that it will be required for service (paid) for cars outside of warranty. Keep in mind the center display is woefully underpowered already. Also, the stale webkit version the browser is based off of has been crippled and barely works for most modern websites running HTML 5.

Even when connected to low-latency WiFi, it only manages speeds that barely eclipse real 3G speeds, if at all, so LTE barely improves performance because of the browser.

I bet 100 real engineer hours directed at the browser codebase could overcome much of the performance issues, but apparently Tesla (rightly) has their hands full on other projects.

Last edited:
I don't get this. Why would it be required for cars out of warranty?

Eventually, it might be required, but that's quite a ways down the road. Similar to when D-AMPS was shut down in the US, there may be a time when EDGE and HSDPA are removed in favor of LTE. But that's quite a ways off.

(For example, the first-generation OnStar cars no longer work...)

Oh, it's widely rumored that Tesla will discontinue the "free" cellular service after the warranty expires and make it a paid service. It has nothing directly to do with the warranty, per se.

The free cellular connection is good for 4 years from the date of delivery (or 1/1/2014, whichever is later), regardless of warranty, which could expire sooner if you hit the 50k mi limit.

After that 4yr period, it's anybody's guess at this point, but presumably Tesla would maintain the connection for the purpose of remote diagnostics, and would likely charge a monthly fee in order to use Google Maps, Internet Radio, and the Web Browser.

I expect that Tesla will continue to support the Nav app on the 17" screen, without a fee.
To do otherwise would "cause" much range anxiety.
The estimated energy usage is now a very important part of the car.

This is very true and means with near 100% certainty that connected NAV (I don't think you want to base your range calculations and charge stop advices on offline maps that may be inaccurate) will remain free forever.

Oh, it's widely rumored that Tesla will discontinue the "free" cellular service after the warranty expires and make it a paid service. It has nothing directly to do with the warranty, per se.

That's not what I was talking about.

The original quote was (bolding mine):

Since we're on predictons now, I posit that Tesla's upgrade kit will cost way too much money for what it is, but that it will be required for service (paid) for cars outside of warranty.

I asked:

I don't get this. Why would it be required for cars out of warranty?

You seemed to imply that the upgrade kit would be required for cars outside of warranty.

That still doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not talking about 3G or LTE service. Any car with 3G (for as long as 3G is available) should be able to continue on using the paid or free cell service. I don't see how the upgrade kit would be required.

What I'm saying is that I think Tesla will not give you PAID service once they discontinue the 4-year freebie unless you upgrade to LTE. (It's cheaper for them.) I also think they will charge a lot to get this upgrade. If anything, because it's pretty difficult to pull apart the center display to gain access to the modem.

Obviously, Tesla cannot require you to do anything outside of warranty, it's your car. If you want the wireless tech to keep working, you either have to do what they say, or go the route of a WiFi hotspot. (Or just use your phone)

What I'm saying is that I think Tesla will not give you PAID service once they discontinue the 4-year freebie unless you upgrade to LTE. (It's cheaper for them.) I also think they will charge a lot to get this upgrade. If anything, because it's pretty difficult to pull apart the center display to gain access to the modem.

Obviously, Tesla cannot require you to do anything outside of warranty, it's your car. If you want the wireless tech to keep working, you either have to do what they say, or go the route of a WiFi hotspot. (Or just use your phone)

That logic just doesn't make any sense. You're saying that as a customer, if someone wants FREE (what you're calling 'PAID') service from Tesla, Tesla is going to require you to pay full cost for the upgrade to the LTE modem. I'm sure the cost of such an upgrade would dwarf the cost of the customer just continuing to pay for the 3G service available.

So, what you're saying is, down the road Tesla is going to give you one of two choices for cellular access in the car:

Choice 1: Pay $$$$$ for a hardware upgrade to the LTE modem to continue receiving free cellular service paid for by Tesla.
Choice 2: Pay $ to use to continue to use the existing 3G modem in your car.

Yeah, tough choice.

That logic just doesn't make any sense. You're saying that as a customer, if someone wants FREE (what you're calling 'PAID') service from Tesla, Tesla is going to require you to pay full cost for the upgrade to the LTE modem. I'm sure the cost of such an upgrade would dwarf the cost of the customer just continuing to pay for the 3G service available.

So, what you're saying is, down the road Tesla is going to give you one of two choices for cellular access in the car:

Choice 1: Pay $$$$$ for a hardware upgrade to the LTE modem to continue receiving free cellular service paid for by Tesla.
Choice 2: Pay $ to use to continue to use the existing 3G modem in your car.

Yeah, tough choice.

The example is more egregious, since they knew AMPS was being phased-out but that's exactly what Mercedes did: Mercedes-Benz Tele Aid System Consumer Fraud Class Action Lawsuit

Well, it's just a prediction, anything is possible.

I'm saying you'll have to pay to upgrade to LTE, then pay a service fee to get service. Pay and Pay. No free anything.

I might well be wrong and will be pleasantly surprised when they give us LTE for free after 4 years.

Well, it's just a prediction, anything is possible.

I'm saying you'll have to pay to upgrade to LTE, then pay a service fee to get service. Pay and Pay. No free anything.

Well, then, I still don't understand. If you're saying TM will make you pay for the LTE hardware upgrade AND the service, what exactly are you saying is going to be required for out of warranty cars? The car is always going to need some sort of cellular connection to make the phone apps work, as well as telemetry back to HQ. So even if you don't pay for service (3G or LTE) it's still going to have/need a connection. Like you said, they can't require you to get an LTE upgrade, so what's your point? If and when 3G goes away (which I don't think is actually going to happen any time soon, heck, there's still areas with EDGE out there), TM is going to have to upgrade the entire fleet (at their cost) to maintain the base functionality of the car sold to their early customers with 3G.

It's simple; Tesla doesn't have any liability after 4 years. They CAN shut off the connection. Done. Car still drives. Updates/Telemetry optional from WiFi.

They will want to offer some service extension plan. You'll likely have to pay something if you want to keep it on, they can't subsidize it forever, unless Elon puts his satellites up and changes the radio system to work on those.

They clearly aren't going to just eat the costs of a hardware (LTE) upgrade, and one will likely be required, maybe not right away, but will eventually.

I am just guessing, but doing so using my instinct. I said it all already above.

- - - Updated - - -

For instance, If Tesla told me that I'd have to pay $2500 for the LTE upgrade and then they would sell me Data service for $60 a month, I'd tell them to get stuffed.

If they told me that I can get the LTE upgrade (or that I can keep using 3G) and pay $250 a year for data, I'd probably do that.

Well, then, I still don't understand. If you're saying TM will make you pay for the LTE hardware upgrade AND the service, what exactly are you saying is going to be required for out of warranty cars? The car is always going to need some sort of cellular connection to make the phone apps work, as well as telemetry back to HQ. So even if you don't pay for service (3G or LTE) it's still going to have/need a connection. Like you said, they can't require you to get an LTE upgrade, so what's your point? If and when 3G goes away (which I don't think is actually going to happen any time soon, heck, there's still areas with EDGE out there), TM is going to have to upgrade the entire fleet (at their cost) to maintain the base functionality of the car sold to their early customers with 3G.

I wouldn't expect that feature (and voice commands which also use data) to not work anymore once they stop paying for the service and the owner doesn't pick up the tab. I guess we will find out once some of us start to cross over the four year mark.

Back in 2012/early 2013 tesla accidentally exposed a page where customers could select their data option. It was clear that if the customer declined to pay for data that certain features would not be available; web browser and streaming music were the major items. However, tesla would maintain a data connection to the car.

The fact that voice command uses data is an implementation choice made by tesla. Mobile data is not inherent to the value of the feature. As such, I would expect it to be on the list of features that continues to work if the customer declines data.

The only feature imho that could go either way is remote access via the phone app. It's extremely low bandwidth, and the marginal cost is negligible. However having data is inherent to the value of the feature. It's also likely the killer app. So if tesla wants to increase the take rate, the right choice is probably to require a data plan for this feature. If the priority is to provide a superior customer experience and highlight that the car is leading the way on tech, it should be included. In 2012 the model S was one of a small number of cars that offered remote connectivity. Today all the luxury brands do, which is also an argument that it should be included to remain competitive.