Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with leaving 3rd row seats down longterm?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Model X 100D set to arrive in late March. We ended up with the 7 seat configuration as it's a great option for when family comes to visit. But outside of a few visits per year, we don't expect to have much use for the 3rd row seating during daily use. But the larger cargo area with the seats down will get quite a bit more use in comparison.

I'm planning on purchasing all weather floor and cargo mats, and I'm trying to figure out if I'll whether I'll buy the cargo mat for use with the 3rd row seats upright, or the mat for use with the 3rd down folded down. One area of concern I have is if there will be some odd wear on the 3rd row seats if they're left down for months at a time. I'm curious if any other owners of the newer 7 seat configuration have feedback on leaving the 3rd row folded for extended periods of time?

My 3rd row has been folded since day 1 (came that way...). I'll have to 'exhume' them and see if there are any ill effects. The rear seatbelt/buckles have stowage zones if you do it right, I don't think there are any problems as long as you clear FOD (foreign objects (that can cause) damage) before you fold them flat!

I'd really think flat is better than 'up' and collecting dust and sunlight... :D

I have a 5 seater Model X, but I also have a Honda Odyssey with a 3rd row. In the Odyssey , I put down a light blanket before folding the seats flat and this avoids any odd wear and tear from the seat belt fasteners etc.
If you are getting a third row mat, I would recommend the one with the seats folded flat, since you wont even have much cargo with all the 3 seats upright. Unless you want to splurge and get both just in case.

We got our seven seat X end of October 2017. We have three kids all in car seats all in the middle row. Seats are always down with a trunk mat for third row folded. We basically use it as a 5 seater. Second row pushed all the way back for more space. Never noticed any issues when I did need to use third row. I don't think there would be issues.

Thanks for the answers and feedback. I'm probably going to end up purchasing both cargo mats to cover scenarios where the 3rd row is folded or upright. It sure would be nice to have a cargo mat that attached to the backs of the 3rd row seats and moved with them as they folded or were placed upright, but it seems doubtful that such a product would be able to maintain any reasonable semblance of liquid containment.