Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with 90 battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for a late model S as my first Tesla. Budget is around 65k.

i found a 2017 with 34k miles, it has a 90D battery. (Loaded with extras, dealer wants $65k)

As I read through the forums it looks like there are issues with this size battery? Any chance of a software fix?

Should this model be avoided?

What else would you suggest I consider? Want AP2.0.

Also can I transfer nay remaining warranty or supercharging if I buy from a 3rd party?

thanks!

VERY Interested in this too - I was leaning towards a facelifted 75D with AP1, until I read about the battery issues with the 75/90 packs. Now I'm considering an older 70 or 85 with AP1, but I really like the facelift looks and was intrigued by the newer autopilot/FSD. Very curious how big a deal the battery degradation is in the real world. My typical "mission" is around 90 mile roundtrip to the barn where my horses are. I go there multiple times per week, and live in the northeast where it's cold. I have a second car, a diesel mercedes SUV, so I don't need extreme "road trip range" in my Tesla, but I would like to be able to do some electric road trips. I do live 5 mins from a supercharger.
Thanks!

There is nothing per se wrong with the 90 packs. The issue is Tesla changed the internal chemistry which lead to a bit more of an initial degradation curve (especially in the early "revision A" version) but it still leveled off if I am not mistaken.

So a car that was EPA rated at 294 miles may now be sitting around 280. To the OP, see if you can get an idea of what the range at 90% or 100% is on the car you are looking at. That will give a good indication of the battery condition.

Good luck on buying CPO from Tesla. They won't let u see or touch the car till its fully paid for.
I worked with used rep in fort Lauderdale, finally ready to buy, he says ""cant seeit till paid for""
I walked, with cash in hand,.. that's insane.if u can find the dealer a sneak on the lot to at least see it, good luck. I was not going 300 miles.
I bought from private owner. Good deal, I had cash. There are a lot of good used ones out there.

Good luck on buying CPO from Tesla. They won't let u see or touch the car till its fully paid for.
I worked with used rep in fort Lauderdale, finally ready to buy, he says ""cant seeit till paid for""
I walked, with cash in hand,.. that's insane.if u can find the dealer a sneak on the lot to at least see it, good luck. I was not going 300 miles.
I bought from private owner. Good deal, I had cash. There are a lot of good used ones out there.
They also don't sell CPO cars anymore and discontinued that program nearly a year ago. Now they sell used cars and some of them are clapped out but hey... you get that warranty that's backed by the worst customer service I ever experienced! lol

there were 3 formulations for the 90 D packs (I have a third formulation , a early 2017 build) . the first two formulations did have some issues with degradation and some folks had their packs replaced. mostly 2016s? some what deeper in the threads you will find a vin calaulator that indicated which 90's were from which formulation . for me im on my 3rd year and no issues