Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Israel/Hamas conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe you should go back to 1922.

It wasn't a nation in 1922. Palestine was a province in the Ottoman Empire until the British and French carved it up after WW I. By 1922 it was a British Protectorate, still not a nation.

It is true that the majority population in most of what is today Israel was Arab in 1922. The people the world knows today as Palestinians do have an ancestral claim to the territory that is now Israel. What makes things more complicated is the Israelis also have an even older ancestral claim to the same land.

The question the world can't answer is which claim is more valid.

Reactions: enemji and navguy12
It wasn't a nation in 1922. Palestine was a province in the Ottoman Empire until the British and French carved it up after WW I. By 1922 it was a British Protectorate, still not a nation.

It is true that the majority population in most of what is today Israel was Arab in 1922. The people the world knows today as Palestinians do have an ancestral claim to the territory that is now Israel. What makes things more complicated is the Israelis also have an even older ancestral claim to the same land.

The question the world can't answer is which claim is more valid.
Following this thread has made me interested in reading about the history of the Palestinians. The British Palestine Mandate was supposedly a misnomer, a corruption of the term Philistine. The Philistines are mentioned in Old Testament and as best most historians can figure out, inhabited a kingdom that was limited to area proximate to Gaza. Further, the Philistines were not originally from Gaza, but rather were seafarers and migrated from a locale near modern Greece. All this points out is how flimsy any ancestoral claims to land are, as you point out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CatB and bhzmark
Following this thread has made me interested in reading about the history of the Palestinians. The British Palestine Mandate was supposedly a misnomer, a corruption of the term Philistine. The Philistines are mentioned in Old Testament and as best most historians can figure out, inhabited a kingdom that was limited to area proximate to Gaza. Further, the Philistines were not originally from Gaza, but rather were seafarers and migrated from a locale near modern Greece. All this points out is how flimsy any ancestoral claims to land are, as you point out.

Interesting. I didn't know that's where the name Palestinian came from.

It's doubtful the current Palestinians have much genetic relation to the Philistines who were essentially absorbed into the mix of genetics in the region many centuries ago. The Philistines were probably a pretty small population to begin with.

There probably is some genetics from the Arabian Peninsula as the Arabs invaded from there in the 600s. The region has been a genetic crossroads for thousands of years.

Whatever the genetic heritage of the Palestinians is, they can document that their ancestors have been living there for over 1000 years at this point.

The tribalism that many cultures have is so silly when you start really looking at it. The entire human population of the entire planet has an amazingly narrow genetic diversity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I didn't know that's where the name Palestinian came from.

It's doubtful the current Palestinians have much genetic relation to the Philistines who were essentially absorbed into the mix of genetics in the region many centuries ago. The Philistines were probably a pretty small population to begin with.

There probably is some genetics from the Arabian Peninsula as the Arabs invaded from there in the 600s. The region has been a genetic crossroads for thousands of years.

Whatever the genetic heritage of the Palestinians is, they can document that their ancestors have been living there for over 1000 years at this point.

The tribalism that many cultures have is so silly when you start really looking at it. The entire human population of the entire planet has an amazingly narrow genetic diversity.
A point that a few historians have made that I found interesting was that many people native that area worshipped either the Hebrew god or multiple pagan gods, prior to their conversion to Islam. Some of the present day Palestinians could have Jewish ancestry.

Another fact that I came across is that by genetic testing, both Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews have only 30% European ancestry.

Morgan at his best is an ultra rightwing moron so no surprise he's spewing hate against Israel. Good of you to keep promoting Putler's propaganda for your obsession of "peace at any cost". Where's your concern about Iran launching missiles against US military facilities in Iraq? Nothing but crickets. So murdering psychopaths doing murdering psychopath things, that's ok?

Deadly Iranian Strikes in Iraq and Pakistan Inflame Regional Tensions

Last edited:
We know that Israeli tanks & helicopters incinerated their own people... (moderator edit: incinerate is an unfortunate choice of words considering how Hamas set captors and their corpses on fire. Accidental IDF hostage killing, while targeting the terrorist captors that requesting safe passage with their hostages that day are less than 1% of those killed.)
Of course there is. Have you not seen the articles published in Haaretz?

And there was another article with the transcript of Apache pilots telling their commanders that they cannot distinguish their targets, yet are told to fire on whatever moves...

(moderator note: I was not familiar with either incident, and any inadvertent death of Israeli civilians by the IDF trying to free them will be tragic, but I suspect that many of the remaining hostages will be killed this way. The math after the prisoner exchange probably looks like:

1 hostage freed by IDF costs
1 hostage inadvertently killed by IDF which costs
10 IDF soldiers which costs
200 Hamas fighters which costs
500 Palestinians killed as human shields by Hamas which costs
20 Palestinian deaths from displacement

Whoever orchestrated the attack surely has done the math.)

Reactions: Bet TSLA
Huh? Palestinians are the only group of "refugees" in the world who argue their kids and grandkids born elsewhere are allowed right to return.

Good lord! People are still denying that Hamas raped scores of women on 10/7?

Before 10/7, Gaza was one of the nicest places to live in the Muslim/Arab world. Gaza had a higher GDP and life expectancy than many of their Muslim and Arab neighbors - and better than most of Africa.

It is an absolute myth that living in Gaza was so terrible to create (let alone justify) the barbaric attacks on 10/7.
What universe are you living? Gaza has higher GDP and life expectancy than many of their neighbors... really? There are tons of reports from UN and human right organizations regarding the insufferable living conditions in Gaza. Please tell me how to they have any GDP when they are under blockade since 2006? Your claims are beyond absurd.

Sometimes it does. But that's beside the point. Israel isn't claiming any of Gaza. The Gazans will be free to either rebuild it into a prosperous, thriving enclave, or another dingy hellhole. It's their choice. Peace or violence.
Are you sure Israel is not claiming any of Gaza? Israel, or more correctly zionist ideology wants to expand Israel from the Nile to the Euphrates

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
What universe are you living? Gaza has higher GDP and life expectancy than many of their neighbors... really? There are tons of reports from UN and human right organizations regarding the insufferable living conditions in Gaza. Please tell me how to they have any GDP when they are under blockade since 2006? Your claims are beyond absurd.
Yes - I live in reality. Easy to look up and not fall for Islamist propaganda.

The combined GDP or the West Bank and Gaza is $3,779 per capita. That is higher than Syria, Pakistan, India, Philippines, Morocco, Bolivia, Bangladesh, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan....and virtually all of Africa and South America.

Gaza's GDP per capita is probably less than half the combined total, but also one of the biggest recipients of international aid which explains why Gaza has one of the fastest growing (and most obese) populations in the world. If Gazans hadn't elected a Genocidal Death Cult 17 years ago with Hamas, Gaza would be a wealthy seaside town with loads of tourism. But trying to eliminate the Jews in Israel was apparently more important for Gazans?

So it is beyond grotesque for people to act like suffering was so terrible and unique in Gaza before the war to justify their animalistic atrocities on 10/7.

• Informative
Reactions: CatB and bhzmark
Are you sure Israel is not claiming any of Gaza? Israel, or more correctly zionist ideology wants to expand Israel from the Nile to the Euphrates
Yeah - we are sure.

You know how?

Because Israel uprooted and relocated every Jew living in Gaza over 17 years ago in an effort to find peace with the Palestinians.

In every 2 state solution deal agreed upon by Israel, Jews will not be able to live in any "Palestinian Land" but Israel will continue to allow existing Arabs to live as free citizens in Israel.

Reactions: bhzmark
Yes - I live in reality. Easy to look up and not fall for Islamist propaganda.

The combined GDP or the West Bank and Gaza is $3,779 per capita. That is higher than Syria, Pakistan, India, Philippines, Morocco, Bolivia, Bangladesh, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan....and virtually all of Africa and South America.

Gaza's GDP per capita is probably less than half the combined total, but also one of the biggest recipients of international aid which explains why Gaza has one of the fastest growing (and most obese) populations in the world. If Gazans hadn't elected a Genocidal Death Cult 17 years ago with Hamas, Gaza would be a wealthy seaside town with loads of tourism. But trying to eliminate the Jews in Israel was apparently more important for Gazans?

So it is beyond grotesque for people to act like suffering was so terrible and unique in Gaza before the war to justify their animalistic atrocities on 10/7.
The links you provided are for West Bank + Gaza, not only for Gaza. The first link you have provided states:

Israeli and Egyptian security restrictions following the 2007 Hamas takeover in Gaza have made it very difficult for goods to enter or leave the Gazan market. The economies of the West Bank and Gaza have grown increasingly separate since 2007.
Do you have any data of GDP of Gaza?

As per electing Hamas.. This is an interesting topic. We know (recorded in video & newspaper articles) that Netanyahu was a big supporter (financially) of Hamas. Palestinians unfortunately fell for this, since the goal was to separate political structure between West Bank and Gaza (divide and conquer, classic colonial tactic). As per US president Jimmy Carter, election was fair but Israel decide to blockade the whole of Gaza, bringing all the known issues. That, combined with periodic "mowing the grass" operations resulted in a militant group. I don't like Hamas.. but what do you expect to happen if you oppress people? Do you expect them to roll over and obey? Evil creates evil, as simple as that.

Yeah - we are sure.

You know how?

Because Israel uprooted and relocated every Jew living in Gaza over 17 years ago in an effort to find peace with the Palestinians.

In every 2 state solution deal agreed upon by Israel, Jews will not be able to live in any "Palestinian Land" but Israel will continue to allow existing Arabs to live as free citizens in Israel.
What 2 state solution? Netanyahu is on record (video) saying he will never accept 2 state solution.
If Israel is so interested in 2 state solution, and supposedly uprooting their own citizens from Palestinian lands, how come they increase the amount of land they occupy continuously? There is no end to illegal settlements (illegal under international law, not my opinion). We already saw the new real estate plans for Gaza.