Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is walk away lock via iPhone reliable for you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate the honk, but do look for the mirrors to fold.
I'm the opposite, I love that there's a sound. It's the perfect volume that I can just hear it clearly when in the hallway after I've closed the door to the garage. It tells me I didn't leave my phone in the car.

Never look back. ;)

w7fyd.jpg

iPhone X and works 99% of the time (3 months ownership).

The only times I've had problems is some strange condition where I move far enough away for the car to decide to lock but then immediately go back and try to unlock. It then either takes a couple of attempts to open the door handle before it works or, once, I needed to use the key card. It's almost as if it was enough time/distance to decide to lock the car but not enough for it to "fully" lock.

Mine always works. When the car fails to lock it's because I:
  • Left my phone in the car
  • Unlocked the car by holding my walled to the B-pillar and forgetting that unlocking the car in this way prevents walk away door lock from working. In such cases one must manually lock the car using the keycard or the phone app.
  • Unlocked the car remotely with my phone app (e.g., if the kids are ready to go get in the car and I'm still gathering my things), forgetting that this also prevents walk away door lock, just as using the keycard to unlock does.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Aside from the time I didn’t shut my door fully, it has always locked with my XS Max, but it’s also reliably unlocking. I’d be curious to see if anyone who has had locking problems didn’t have unlocking problems.

The only unlocking failure I’ve had was today when I was listening to a podcast on my AirPods.

Since it is possible to not lock due to the door not being closed or accidentally leaving the phone in the car, I always listen for the horn or look for my side mirrors to fold. I wish you could get sent a notification on your watch if these things happen or a push notification to your watch that locking occurred.