Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this gap in top glass panels a major problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Just bought a 2022 Tesla 3 Performance today w/ about 10k miles on it! Very excited and a little nervous as these things are a LOT Of money! Question about the gasket between the top glass panels. I'm guessing at the corners it shouldn't round under how it is. But searching the forum I couldn't find out how uncommon or probamatic this might be.

Any comments or thoughts on whether to get it fixed immeidatly or just wait and see how it goes?

Please see attached 3 pictures and thank you for your thoughts! - Eric

IMG-3420.jpg

IMG-3419.jpg

IMG-3418.jpg

Hi,

Just bought a 2022 Tesla 3 Performance today w/ about 10k miles on it! Very excited and a little nervous as these things are a LOT Of money! Question about the gasket between the top glass panels. I'm guessing at the corners it shouldn't round under how it is. But searching the forum I couldn't find out how uncommon or probamatic this might be.

Any comments or thoughts on whether to get it fixed immeidatly or just wait and see how it goes?

Ideally, these rubber gaskets should be flushed under the glass. This kind of quality is not acceptable for a new car.

But it is now a used car. It'll cost you to fix it. You'll need new gaskets.

If you can afford it then pay for it now. If not, wait until the rubber is worn off.

That's a 3rd-party accessory gasket in there. Where it makes a 90degree turn, the tubing gets squeezed flat. They're there to mitigate wind noise, but I don't think they do too much. Very popular accessory though. My question is whether there's any water leakage. I'd look inside the car at the trim around the glass, to see if any water damage shows. Also a strong light might help you look thru the glass from the outside and see how well the silicon is caulked, or whatever they use to seal the glass.

That's a 3rd-party accessory gasket in there. Where it makes a 90degree turn, the tubing gets squeezed flat. They're there to mitigate wind noise, but I don't think they do too much. Very popular accessory though. My question is whether there's any water leakage. I'd look inside the car at the trim around the glass, to see if any water damage shows. Also a strong light might help you look thru the glass from the outside and see how well the silicon is caulked, or whatever they use to seal the glass.
Thank you. I have so much to learn! Appreciate your advice and will do as you suggest!

I have the 3rd party 'wind reduction rubber seal' on my model 3. Not sure how much wind reduction it does since put it on as soon as I bought the car. It does protect leading edge of glass top from getting nicked by rocks and flying debris which is the main reason I bought the rubber stripping.

Hi,

View attachment 904052

View attachment 904051
View attachment 904050
The first picture looks like mine on my early 2018 Model 3 and it has never leaked in 102,000 miles. That rubber gasket isn't what seals the glass top the body, i believe it's there to hide the adhesive. The glass is glued to the metal body just like the windshield is, with a black urethane sealant. The black rubber tubing that someone installed (seen in the second picture) is meant to help with wind noise by making the gap more flush and reducing wind drag. I installed one like it years ago and removed it after about a year. I didn't really notice a difference in wind noise.

If you make an appointment to get the roof glass replaced, Tesla will charge you to replace them. It's very expensive and unnecessary, and the replacement might end up looking the same as what you have.