Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to confirm proper active shutter operation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tinkerin

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Seattle
Last winter I experienced a couple supercharger sessions when the radiator fan ran at maximum speed as my charge limit was reached - but no airflow through radiator opening (below front bumper). I could see that the active shutter was closed while the fan ran like a jet engine. It was cold out (16 degrees F or so). After arriving in California I worried that the cooling system may not perform adequately, I checked and found the shutter was partially opened. No issues with AC operation.

No issues during the summer (shutter stayed open). But now as temps are dropping again, I need to determine whether the active shutter is operating as it should. Is there a test that would verify proper operation? I searched through the service screen - even the cooling system status page does not show an indication whether the shutter is supposed to be opened or closed. No debris or other obstruction can be seen that could impair shutter movement.

It would be useful to know what conditions should trigger a change in the shutter position. Is it supposed to close when vehicle sleeps? - mine does not when overnight temps dip below freezing so far.

Curious if anyone here has any insight. Thanks!