Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the performance to "easy" to get yourself in trouble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are both concerned I might "screw up". To err is to be human. I've not had a speeding ticket in 20 years. Couple warnings (slow back roads).

You can screw up on a golf cart. You can set limits in the Model 3. If you don't want the Performance Model, then don't get it. I didn't.

After you have been driving any car for a while you instinctively learn it's limitations and it becomes an extension of you.

Sure, but that is not the way it has to be. I travel a lot and may be in rental 20+ weeks of the year. You can either be a old dog or not.

And with the addition of electric it doesn't give as much feedback as an ICE vehicle that, you know you are really pushing it and telling everyone else while your at it, that you are pushing it when the ICE screams through it's nostrils that you are coming.

Why do you feel this way? I'm somewhat the opposite. There are a lot of ICE cars that can feel like you are going 100 when you are going 45. There's also a lot that can feel you are going 45 when you are going 100. It's not really an EV thing.

Here is a simple example. Say your on this 2 lane highway and your trying to pass a truck that you've been stuck behind.
The dashed lines open up but there is a car coming the other way. So you wait. The car passes and the dash lines are about to go solid, but you think you still have time (with the P). You this car is quick, do you know go for it, where in your past cars you never would? Will you know, when you really shouldn't?

The line going solid means that is illegal to cross. What's the question?
My brother and I were on a 2 lane road many years ago and had radios where we could talk to each other. I was in front and could tell him of there was any traffic, he would still do stupid things like cross the yellow in the middle of a turn. Was he safe? Yes. Was he legal. No.
Some people will also remind you, than when passing, you are limited to the max road speed. But few people limit themselves to 55 when passing.
The important part is that with the acceleration, you do have the ability to create a bigger safety buffer.

Will you naturally push the acceleration odds? Will you tend to drive faster (or accelerate faster) without the rumbling feedback reminder nag.

Some may, most won't. Again, the same thing happens in ICE vehicles. Move from a Subaru to a Challenger and there will be a huge acceleration/speed differential, not an EV concept.
Some Challengers seem to also be the slowest cars on the road.

I'm just curious if anyone else contemplating the Performance has considered this and for anyone who has and got the car (or any under 4.0s 0-60 Tesla), how is it going?

One curious question I have also, do you feel you can drive it "normal" as the Non-P (or ICE for that matter). That is, does it constantly remind you it wants to get up and go? Or does the P only show itself when you really push it or you need to put in some performance mode. I know about chill mode.

I don't have the P, but I seldom drive my RWD anywhere near its limits. Even when I'm showing the car off, I push the accelerator less than half way down.

Because the reasons above I have NOT test driven one yet. I have a feeling I WILL want it, have to have it. It's kind of like drugs after that first high your in trouble ;)

Then don't get one. The standard RWD Model 3 is a really quick car that outperforms most of the things on the road anyway. For me, the differential in price just wasn't worth it. I can do a lot of other things with the ~$15k difference. The RWD M3 will generally impress all of your friends except for the hard roadies.

Regarding lots of cars feel like 45 while going 100. That is NOT the problem. Not a lot of cars can silently get from 45 to 100 in 3 seconds with little feedback.

My Example IS NOT crossing the Solid line. My example is learning that you can pass before the dashed line runs out in less time. And will naturally think you "can". And you probably safely CAN. But the more often you do that you might get burned and you'll probably be a at higher speed.

We've all made judgment mistakes on the road. With such a huge jump in acceleration the mistakes might not have the human reaction time to "recover".

Think of it this way. In math, to often solve a problem, you take it to the "limit". What if EVERY ONE could go 0-60 in 3 second? Would the roads be safer? What if 20 years from now cars routinely go 0-60 in 1 second. The human brains won't be any faster to react to mistakes.

I find myself putting around most of the time. I find EAP keeps me away from getting road rage so I just sit and chill, After 2000 miles I have yet to swerve around people in traffic on the freeway in frustration I think that kind of scenario could get you in trouble the quickest with a fast car.
The only time I can think of where I have been a real #@% with the car was when a lifted truck was riding my rear being a dick nearing a short onramp. I creeped up slow onto the onramp and went pedal down into the flow of traffic, I'm pretty sure the truck had to stop and wait to merge when there was an opening, without supercar acceleration there was no getting into the flow safely from there.

Think of it this way. In math, to often solve a problem, you take it to the "limit". What if EVERY ONE could go 0-60 in 3 second? Would the roads be safer? What if 20 years from now cars routinely go 0-60 in 1 second. The human brains won't be any faster to react to mistakes.

By that time, cars will think for you. You won't have to worry about it. And once everybody is driving an autopilot capable car, the roads will be much safer. We will likely be able to travel much faster and safer at the same time. Sorry to say but humans are the problem when it comes to car accidents.

Over 37,000 road crash deaths each year, that amounts to over 100 deaths each day due to car accidents. And that's not counting 2.35 million injured each year. Humans already can't keep up and the statistics are getting worse every year. With a Model 3, you at least know you'll be getting a car that performs way ahead of the curve when it comes autopilot features such as traffic assisted cruise controls and lane keeping. This includes the car automatically swerving away from a car that dangerously merge into your lane, avoiding accidents, as we've seen from many youtube videos already.

Well, I was pulled over for speeding for the first time in 30 years about 3 weeks ago in my Model 3. Fortunately I just received a warning. I was demonstrating my Model 3 to a couple friends at the time.

Thanks for sharing and the reminder to not get to carried away when showing [off ;)] friends.
By that time, cars will think for you. You won't have to worry about it. And once everybody is driving an autopilot capable car, the roads will be much safer. We will likely be able to travel much faster and safer at the same time. Sorry to say but humans are the problem when it comes to car accidents.

Over 37,000 road crash deaths each year, that amounts to over 100 deaths each day due to car accidents. And that's not counting 2.35 million injured each year. Humans already can't keep up and the statistics are getting worse every year. With a Model 3, you at least know you'll be getting a car that performs way ahead of the curve when it comes autopilot features such as traffic assisted cruise controls and lane keeping. This includes the car automatically swerving away from a car that dangerously merge into your lane, avoiding accidents, as we've seen from many youtube videos already.

I agree. It's this transition period, probably for a good while (10-20 years), that there will be such a diverse set of cars on the same road.

I can see "Auto Pilot" lanes coming in the not to distance future.

Reactions: APotatoGod
if you're concerned, why not just go for the LR or AWD? Any of the 3's are capable of excessive speed and acceleration if driven hard, but some beg for it a bit more than others. I got a P because i like the power and speed... a purely emotional decision... there is absolutely no practical justification for it... and I love it.

That's why I'm asking. I also like the option of free supercharging for life and better odds of getting it before the end of year (where I just placed my order a couple weeks ago and I was in the non P-AWD waiting line - the very very end of it).

I agree your "justification" comment. To me the RWD with tax incentives and fuel savings (I have excess solar capacity) is no more "excessive" than say buying say an Audi A4. It would be roughly the same cost of ownership. AWD M3 is not required but fairly cheap upgrade but there is a chance it won't make it on time. So I was toying between switching to RWD or Performance AWD (for insurance sake). I admit I want the car sooner than later too and I certainly wouldn't mind the extra kick. But wanted to ask others their thoughts. Performance does add some unrequired toy factor for sure.

We can convince ourselves of anything. If I wanted to be "practical" I'd probably buy a Chevy Volt or something.

I was thinking of waiting to see if a regular AWD comes in. But by the time I know it won't, it might be too late for a P-AWD and I would also lose the free SuperCharge (which is a nice perk) if I waited past this Sunday to make the switch.

Lot's of good response here. Thanks.

Currently now officially in the P-AWD line (Without the $5K PUP) , got my Free Supercharging. I think not having the wheels/brakes will help tame things a touch. It won't be so "showy" either. If it doesn't look the part friends etc. won't ask so much to show what it's got. etc.

Reactions: Alketi

Love it! You’re part of the Tesla collective. Resistance to Elon is futile.

That's why I'm asking. I also like the option of free supercharging for life and better odds of getting it before the end of year (where I just placed my order a couple weeks ago and I was in the non P-AWD waiting line - the very very end of it).

I agree your "justification" comment. To me the RWD with tax incentives and fuel savings (I have excess solar capacity) is no more "excessive" than say buying say an Audi A4. It would be roughly the same cost of ownership. AWD M3 is not required but fairly cheap upgrade but there is a chance it won't make it on time. So I was toying between switching to RWD or Performance AWD (for insurance sake). I admit I want the car sooner than later too and I certainly wouldn't mind the extra kick. But wanted to ask others their thoughts. Performance does add some unrequired toy factor for sure.

We can convince ourselves of anything. If I wanted to be "practical" I'd probably buy a Chevy Volt or something.

I was thinking of waiting to see if a regular AWD comes in. But by the time I know it won't, it might be too late for a P-AWD and I would also lose the free SuperCharge (which is a nice perk) if I waited past this Sunday to make the switch.

Currently now officially in the P-AWD line (Without the $5K PUP) , got my Free Supercharging. I think not having the wheels/brakes will help tame things a touch. It won't be so "showy" either. If it doesn't look the part friends etc. won't ask so much to show what it's got. etc.

Congrats... it's an awesome fun car. it's an odd feeling the way the power is just so accessible from any speed with zero drama.
My biggest gripe is when I became accustomed to the car and it felt normal to me... I started wanting more power.
That's when i jump in my old E86 M Coupe and try to re-calibrate my sense of speed, acceleration and driver involvement.

Reactions: D3xDt3Reaction
Just got my 3PD+. Took each of my (high school) kids out and they loved the acceleration. Yes you can get into trouble quick. In 15 seconds you are doing over 100mph. Brought the kid out in me. LOVED it.

The "Kid in me" used to get in a lot of trouble. Thanks for the warning. It's so easy to show off. Especially when mostly only the occupants know.

I'm justifying the performance model because I was power deprived as a kid growing up. 53 Ford ? meh, but a generous gift. Dont make me get into how many lawns I had to mow to get a hula hoop. Fast forward 3 careers, and its time to have fun. I've avoided accidents in my Model S by the ability to accelerate quickly out of other peoples road rage, and had someone run a red light. The light for me turned green, I allowed a bit of space ahead of me, and when I proceeded forward, I saw some sort of sports car approaching from my right at high speed. I would have been centerpunched if I could not move my car forward so quickly, and quickly slow down for traffic ahead.

Yes. I blame this (lack of) efficiency on the Ortega Hwy 74 that runs between the OC and Inland Empire :D Supercharging at Lake Elsinore so I can drive back to the OC. Gotta pick up the wife and kiddo to do some shopping but gotta get in my fix before driving responsibly ;)

F5E57A8E-226E-44F8-9A4D-F0D7BACAFA02.jpeg

I've driven slow cars my entire life, but decided that after my Honda Fit I would get a fast car. Before getting my P3D, I didn't quite believe it when people said that it's more power than anyone would need for commuting. But they're right, no one needs this level of performance for commuting. In fact, I'd consider it dangerous since the car zips around far quicker than people would expect. It's fast enough that I expect people to misjudge the acceleration of my P3D and accidentally cut me off.

The power combined with how beautiful the car looks has actually made me a more cautious driver. I leave a ton of room in front of me now, and am generally pretty careful when making lane changes. But to answer OP's question, yes, it's easy to get yourself into trouble, and if you're a crazy driver, it's probably easy to get yourself and others hurt too.

Still, I have no regrets getting the performance edition :)