Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the model 3 supposed to apply the brakes automatically to avoid a Front collision?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forward Collision Warning is for guidance purposes only and is not a substitute for attentive driving and sound judgment. Keep your eyes on the road when driving and never depend on Forward Collision Warning to warn you of a potential collision. Several factors can reduce or impair performance, causing either unnecessary, invalid, inaccurate, or missed warnings. Depending on Forward Collision Warning to warn you of a potential collision can result in serious injury or death. Automatic Emergency Braking is not designed to prevent all collisions. In certain situations, it can minimize the impact of a frontal collision by attempting to reduce your driving speed. Depending on Automatic Emergency Braking to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death.
It did its job. You didn't die and there wasn't serious injury.
Definitely one should take caution and always be alert while driving. Nobody here is totally depending on the forward collision or EBS for safer driving. I take the blame for the carelessness from my side, but the big question is “ Is the car designed to do what was expected out of it in these kind of situations? “ If it is not guaranteed, then I might downgrade it from the security perspectives that itnis advertised with. Nevertheless I still love to drive the car ..

Nothing you said removes the need for lateral side radar. Sure, pulling out gives better visibility than backing out, but you still can’t see around cars and neither can the front cameras.

Wait, wait? cross-traffic alert is almost exclusively a REAR thing in other makes of cars--- because nobody needs one in front-- Pulling out forward from a 90 degree spot doesn't need "seeing around other cars"- You're sitting in the relevant end in the first place, so you can already see to the sides pretty well out the front windshield.

The car is terrible at driving at parking itself currently

When's the last time you tried? Ever since the switch from USS only to vision it has been flawless for me. Still a little slower than doing it manually, but "usably fast" now at least, versus the old autopark that was so slow as to be useless and couldn't park without another car on both sides.

Some cars are now coming with rear AND front lateral side radar for rear cross traffic alert when reversing and for front cross traffic alert at intersections (eg red light runners) or pulling out when visibility is limited (eg buildings, parked cars, trees, etc).

At an intersection the cameras can already see cross traffic. No need for radar. How else do you think the system handles intersections today?

Reactions: XPsionic
but the big question is “ Is the car designed to do what was expected out of it in these kind of situations? “
Not sure what this means or how it would be possible.

The car is designed to pass specific tests that are defined in advance. This means that it will very likely pass those tests pretty well, but it may well fail other slightly different (or much different) test cases (as you found out).

So it is likely operating as designed.

What “was expected” is very dependent on who was driving. And it is not something that in general the car will be able to live up to.

In general these safety systems are nowhere near as good as an alert driver, and they should never be relied upon to operate correctly. That applies to any manufacturer of any vehicle. There is just nothing on the market which is “uncrashable.”

The current state of the art is very very limited in capability. It is probably mostly limited by the need to avoid false positives, which is super easy for a human who is driving, but hard for a machine, especially if it doesn’t know what the human is planning to do next (but is also hard in general without any human involved).

When combined with an alert human, these systems prevent crashes and reduce crash severity, on average. It’s not clear what the effect of risk compensation due to these systems is on crash rates. Very hard to study.

...you don't need if you back in-- which is objectively safer for 90 degree parking...

That's a very narrow viewpoint to suggest that it is possible to back in to parking spaces. This fantasy is absolutely impossible in most cities as the car behind you would have already taken the spot long before you could get into reverse. And if, by freak chance, the driver behind you didn't want that spot, there's a chance they will shoot you for forcing them and the dozens of tailgaters behind them to back up. Take a trip into town someday, you'll see.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
As the previous poster said there's not cameras in the back so code needs to be written. What's the excuse for the front cameras. If the computer can react faster than me I want the car to stop a forward collision or killing a pedestrian. If not, then where is the autonomy?
Totally agree with this. Tesla needs to improve here. No excuses.

As for the missing rear traffic alert hardware. Yes, I back into spots as well, but it's a very flimsy excuse for not having a safety feature to alert those who chooses not to back in every time. And at some locations (at least here in FL), backing into parking spaces are not allowed.

I suspect the hardware will eventually make its way into future model updates.

That's a very narrow viewpoint to suggest that it is possible to back in to parking spaces. This fantasy is absolutely impossible in most cities as the car behind you would have already taken the spot long before you could get into reverse. And if, by freak chance, the driver behind you didn't want that spot, there's a chance they will shoot you for forcing them and the dozens of tailgaters behind them to back up. Take a trip into town someday, you'll see.
You hit the nail on the head

Is the Model 3 suppose to apply the emergency brakes automatically in order to avoid a frint collision? The car in front of me stopped suddenly and until I can take any action , my model 3 hit the car from behind.
At first, I was wondering if you were the fellow Model 3 driver that ran into the back of me a couple of weeks ago. I am guessing he didn't have the feature enabled in his car.

But you're in a different state, so it wasn't you.