Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is regen same across all models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my 2020 MY AWD, regen is rear motor only. You can verify this via scanmytesla. I'm likely going to order a M3 SR+ soon, and expect the regen to be about the same. The battery, especially when fairly full and cold, will be the limit. Because of this, I expect winter regen to be weaker than my AWD (battery size).

Reactions: ZapCarM3
For my 2020 MY AWD, regen is rear motor only. You can verify this via scanmytesla. I'm likely going to order a M3 SR+ soon, and expect the regen to be about the same. The battery, especially when fairly full and cold, will be the limit. Because of this, I expect winter regen to be weaker than my AWD (battery size).
My mind is blown. So are they all only rear wheel regen???

That's my understanding. I suspect (not sure though) it's the same reason that my front motor isn't used except when accelerating hard. (Scanmytesla shows all of these things.) The rear motor is a permanent magnet motor, where the front is not. The rear motor is more efficient and can generate all of the power needed for regen braking, so it is more efficient to not use the front. Same case for mild to moderate acceleration.

The downside is some concern about how this behaves on snow/ice and uneven tire wear.

That's my understanding. I suspect (not sure though) it's the same reason that my front motor isn't used except when accelerating hard. (Scanmytesla shows all of these things.) The rear motor is a permanent magnet motor, where the front is not. The rear motor is more efficient and can generate all of the power needed for regen braking, so it is more efficient to not use the front. Same case for mild to moderate acceleration.

The downside is some concern about how this behaves on snow/ice and uneven tire wear.
Interesting... Maybe the permanent magnet can more immediately react for regen? This is interesting. I would like to know if regen works the same on all the model 3's.

So... Tried a few model 3's today and they all felt about the same and as they should. Maybe the other one I tried was off in some way, no way for me to tell but it was a big difference.

Also no way I'll be getting standard range, the rear wheels slip way too easily on turns so I can't drive the way I'd want to drive a Tesla.

The local technicians said regen is on front and back for dual motor but they aren't sure about how it's strength is distributed. I wonder if they are correct about this. I think they said the older long range single motor was only rear wheel regen, though.

But that's the case with the current SR+ probably so I don't know why that was mentioned.

Not entirely sure the info I got was good but that's what I heard.

So... Tried a few model 3's today and they all felt about the same and as they should. Maybe the other one I tried was off in some way, no way for me to tell but it was a big difference.

Also no way I'll be getting standard range, the rear wheels slip way too easily on turns so I can't drive the way I'd want to drive a Tesla.

The local technicians said regen is on front and back for dual motor but they aren't sure about how it's strength is distributed. I wonder if they are correct about this. I think they said the older long range single motor was only rear wheel regen, though.

But that's the case with the current SR+ probably so I don't know why that was mentioned.

Not entirely sure the info I got was good but that's what I heard.

Regen can happen on both axles on a dual motor car, however it is strongly rear biased, with all of the regen coming from the rear motor in most situations. This is because the rear motor is more efficient, as mentioned earlier. Track mode adds stronger regen on the front motor for weight transfer while entering a corner.

Last edited:
Rear axle only on my 2020, unless something changed with a software update. I'll have to try this again at higher speed to double check to see if this has changed.
Screenshot_20210222-080152.jpg

Reactions: ZapCarM3
Regen can happen on both axles on a dual motor car, however it is strongly rear biased, with all of the regen coming from the rear motor in most situations. This is because the rear motor is more efficient, as mentioned earlier. Track mode adds stronger regen on the front motor for weight transfer while entering a corner.
I see. Interesting! I thought track mode mostly disabled regen. This is mostly true, right? Or else battery heats up too much? I drove in track mode and regen was very soft.

I see. Interesting! I thought track mode mostly disabled regen. This is mostly true, right? Or else battery heats up too much? I drove in track mode and regen was very soft.
Track Mode does not disable regen, it reconfigures it in different ways based on your settings in the Track Mode screen. When you want to make tight donuts, that is enabled by having a strong regen on the front wheels and distributing most power to drive the rear wheels.

And as mentioned by others, on the AWD and Performance Model 3/Y that have two motors the regen is variable between the front and rear based on different conditions or speeds. But the limitation to how strong regen can be is the battery. The battery's charge level will affect how regen feels, since if its at a high state of charge above 95% it will not allow much regen. If the battery could safely take higher regen power, Tesla could make the regen feel even stronger. If I were you I wouldn't worry about any differences in regen.

As far as cornering with the Model 3 SR+, your limitation on slip is likely the tires. The 18" tires are good all-around energy efficient tires, but will not have the best traction. Any high performance tires will change the feel and you will not feel any slip (but you will feel the traction and stability control reduce power a little to help you maintain control).

Track Mode does not disable regen, it reconfigures it in different ways based on your settings in the Track Mode screen. When you want to make tight donuts, that is enabled by having a strong regen on the front wheels and distributing most power to drive the rear wheels.

And as mentioned by others, on the AWD and Performance Model 3/Y that have two motors the regen is variable between the front and rear based on different conditions or speeds. But the limitation to how strong regen can be is the battery. The battery's charge level will affect how regen feels, since if its at a high state of charge above 95% it will not allow much regen. If the battery could safely take higher regen power, Tesla could make the regen feel even stronger. If I were you I wouldn't worry about any differences in regen.

As far as cornering with the Model 3 SR+, your limitation on slip is likely the tires. The 18" tires are good all-around energy efficient tires, but will not have the best traction. Any high performance tires will change the feel and you will not feel any slip (but you will feel the traction and stability control reduce power a little to help you maintain control).
The test drive car at least slipped effortlessly.

I didn't know that about track mode. Makes it slightly more tempting to get performance but unlikely I would.

Every dual motor feels insanely planted. Really like it.

Differences in regen matter but I think I answered my questions yesterday. I'm always careful to make sure the battery is at a low enough charge for that not to be a factor in regen being weaker.

I want the option to perform harder stops without hitting the brakes, as the Y allows me to do. I can begin my stops later as opposed to sooner. It gives me more room to modulate as I like.
I own a 2018 Tesla M3, AWD, LR and a 2022 Chevy Bolt (I think I bought the last Bolt in the USA before the big recall, just a few hours later). Anyway, the way the regen works in the Bolt is MUCH better than the Tesla for countless reasons. The Bolt has a lever on the steering wheel to use regen to come to a complete stop (and often above 50KW charging as it does it) without touching the brake pedal. And if the brake is used, the more pressure on the brake, the more regen. This is in addition to the declaration regen. And it displays the KW used and gained as driving. I have to wonder if the disk brakes ever engage at all.

I think Tesla could learn a few good ideas from Chevy.

The Tesla M3 only has two settings for deceleration regen and has NO brake regen. I would like less regen than the mild setting (I only use the default regen in city traffic) with a lot of brake regen. I wonder if it is possible for them to do with an update someday to make the regen more reasonable.

IMO, the Bolt is perfect with it's regen, I see no way to improve it. OTOH, with Tesla's regen . . . .

-Don- Reno, NV

I own a 2018 Tesla M3, AWD, LR and a 2022 Chevy Bolt (I think I bought the last Bolt in the USA before the big recall, just a few hours later). Anyway, the way the regen works in the Bolt is MUCH better than the Tesla for countless reasons. The Bolt has a lever on the steering wheel to use regen to come to a complete stop (and often above 50KW charging as it does it) without touching the brake pedal. And if the brake is used, the more pressure on the brake, the more regen. This is in addition to the declaration regen. And it displays the KW used and gained as driving. I have to wonder if the disk brakes ever engage at all.

I think Tesla could learn a few good ideas from Chevy.

The Tesla M3 only has two settings for deceleration regen and has NO brake regen. I would like less regen than the mild setting (I only use the default regen in city traffic) with a lot of brake regen. I wonder if it is possible for them to do with an update someday to make the regen more reasonable.

IMO, the Bolt is perfect with it's regen, I see no way to improve it. OTOH, with Tesla's regen . . . .

-Don- Reno, NV

Sorry, but I have to disagree. We have a Cadillac ELR (basically a gen 1 Volt, similar in operation to your Bolt) in addition to our Model 3 and I much prefer Tesla’s implementation of regen control. GM’s steering wheel paddle is binary and the brake blending isn’t always smooth. If you want less regen in the Tesla, don’t lift your foot completely off the accelerator.