Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it smart to buy FSD for $5k while it’s still available for MX owners?

Purchasing FSD now?

• I am purchasing FSD while I can!

Votes: 37 46.8%
  • I am taking my chances.

Votes: 42 53.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that the description for FSD said you could buy it with the car for $3000 and for $4000 later, it would seem at least a little deceptive to renege on that later. People made buying decisions based on that description.
Spot on.
But to go further, autopilot can be purchased at sale & used immediately or purchased afterwards & used immediately.
The same can’t be said of FSD. The implication by offering after sale is that you buy something when it can be used, not at a point in future yet again.
Given this purchase context & the implication to the consumer, it would be interesting what a judge would decide if a class action lawsuit was instigated

There are uncontrollable factors - such as local compliance - Tesla can easily cite for cost increases beyond what was anticipated years back.
And economies of scale can & more than often does diminish inflation or even reverse it (at least in the shorter term)
As for local compliance that is a straw man because nowhere is Tesla awaiting local governmental approval. Tesla is miles off from FSD.

As a very first AP2 costumer where you could upgrade to EAP from the regular AP, I'd say waiting is by far the best option. Only with v9 do we have actual parity to AP1. That took nearly two years when the promise was a couple of months. There still isn't a single EAP feature that works and is released to everyone. I paid an extra $2000 two years ago for nothing so far. If I'd gotten FSD, it would have been an extra $6000 for nothing. Before FSD is close to offering something substantial, it will be another couple of years at best. As good as AP is, it's not even close to being able to drive on a standard highway without oversight; the leap from this to regular roads is in order of magnitude. The new chip that will make this possible will be released in six months according to Elon. If past timelines are any indicator, this means in one year at best, and even later for those seeking upgrades to AP2x. By then my car will be at least four years old. Maybe I will have wrecked it.

Two years ago I decided to buy $4,000 of Apple stock at $110 instead of FSD. Today that stock is worth about $8,000. When FSD actually works, I will sell that stock and buy it. By then, I'm pretty sure I will be able to buy FSD and have lots of left over money. It doesn't take much sense to tie thousands of dollars for a feature that doesn't exist yet, especially when it's connected to a car that can be wrecked any day, and depreciates every minute.

Reactions: Nuclear Fusion
This is why I suggested that it would be interesting to see what they could legally get away with above the rate of inflation

Exactly. They might increase the price but it has to be within reason. That is why I think they pulled the whole option for the time being. They now realize they need a new computer to pull this thing off and the haven't figured out the cost of the new computer yet. Once they know the price they will reintroduce the option. If you purchase a Tesla now where they haven't offered the FSD option, Tesla can offer that afterwards it's any price they want.

And economies of scale can & more than often does diminish inflation or even reverse it (at least in the shorter term)
As for local compliance that is a straw man because nowhere is Tesla awaiting local governmental approval. Tesla is miles off from FSD.

Awaiting for approval is vastly different from complying with regs, which have since been established by several states.

Based on your posts:
- You are highly doubtful FSD will even be released
- And if it is, Tesla better offer it for what they originally said it would cost "later"

Conditions change. No one has to sell anything to anyone. You can choose to take your money elsewhere.

I did not originally select FSD when purchasing and have questioned ever since if I made the right decision. When I heard about AP3 hardware coming out in the next year and FSD buyers getting free upgrade, I increasingly thought I had made the wrong decision and have been looking at My Tesla Account considering if to retro-buy. The discontinuing of FSD as an option, with just one week left to buy made me immediately pull the trigger. It has cost me a bit more, but I don’t regret. In fact pleased I have now got, as I intend to keep my model X for some years - it is by far my favourite car ever (I have previously always bought Mercedes)

I don’t expect in buying FSD, for the car to take me door to door anytime soon - on some narrow country roads I drive, I don’t see how it can ever work, unless all cars are FSD - but if it stops the nags on just main roads and allows me to get work done on longer drives, instead of watching the road all the time, it will have been well worth the extra expense. I believe the UK government are expected to bring in legislation to allow autonomous driving cars in the next 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: john85775
Awaiting for approval is vastly different from complying with regs, which have since been established by several states.

Based on your posts:
- You are highly doubtful FSD will even be released
- And if it is, Tesla better offer it for what they originally said it would cost "later"

Conditions change. No one has to sell anything to anyone. You can choose to take your money elsewhere.
Not if the purchase is already madel. Tesla then have a form of contract

Not if the purchase is already madel. Tesla then have a form of contract

Right. And subsequent purchases are each "contracts" (buy/sell agreements).

When the buyer chooses what they want off the menu, that's the deal. Period. Pricing is always subject to change ("the offer") - buyers don't control that, they only choose what to accept.

Forgoing one "offer" and expecting it to exist in perpetuity is, well, crazy - and unlawful.

Right. And subsequent purchases are each "contracts" (buy/sell agreements).

When the buyer chooses what they want off the menu, that's the deal. Period. Pricing is always subject to change ("the offer") - buyers don't control that, they only choose what to accept.

Forgoing one "offer" and expecting it to exist in perpetuity is, well, crazy - and unlawful.
You are stating a false equivalence
If, like some advertising, FSD functionality induces action, then there is a contractual obligation.
Buying the car can be considered the acceptance part of the contract, of which the FSD is part of the offer

The seller's obligation -- specific to pricing -- ends when the buyer turns down the offer.

If you didn't opt for FSD, you declined.

Having something for sale at a price is an offer to sell. That offer is subject to change.

Not sure why that's so difficult.

I think part of the problem is the definition of "obligation." It seems clear to me that Tesla has no legal obligation to honor what they said on their website. I think, however, that most people would agree that advertising that a feature will be available later at a certain price and then not honoring that price is not a customer-friendly act. I think there is a social obligation for them to honor their word even if there is not a legal obligation.

I think part of the problem is the definition of "obligation." It seems clear to me that Tesla has no legal obligation to honor what they said on their website. I think, however, that most people would agree that advertising that a feature will be available later at a certain price and then not honoring that price is not a customer-friendly act. I think there is a social obligation for them to honor their word even if there is not a legal obligation.

Oh, I can imagine a class action that would pop up pretty quickly if they just reneged on FSD to people who have purchased it. The attorneys would get rich quick.

The practice was dick-ish. You bought the hardware but are artificially limited to what you can use.

No different than having a large gas tank but having its capacity limited until you pay extra to have it unlocked. Or buying a house and one of the rooms was locked off until you paid an additional 10k.

Actually, it's worse than that -- the person who bought the 60 had to lug around the additional, unusable weight of the 15 kWh worth of battery.

No wonder they abandoned the practice.
Nonsense. You are misrepresenting the facts. I finally bit at the reduced $2000 price, but can see why others haven't done so. Having the 75 capacity means a 60 can be charged to 100% daily without violating Tesla's 90% recommendation and also supercharged quickly to 100% without significant tapering. Those two "free" benefits are more important to me than the occasional need for 40 miles of range.

Last edited:
Nonsense. You are misrepresenting the facts. I finally bit at the reduced $2000 price, but can see why others haven't done so. Having the 75 capacity means a 60 can be charged to 100% daily without violating Tesla's 90% recommendation and also supercharged quickly to 100% without significant tapering. Those two "free" benefits are more important to me than the occasional need for 40 miles of range.

Which facts did I misrepresent?

Update: I emailed Tesla last week and just got a response this morning. If you purchased your Tesla before June 26, 2018 they will honor $4000 price. After that, it’s $5000. So they made the decision for me. I am not getting it at this time.